• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
The savings account has an APY of 0.64% so it's not very useful outside of collecting the $250 bonus.  Offer code is S106MB250 and offer expires 12/5/16.

https://www.tiaadirect.com/public/banking/land/display/fall_sav_...

The offer was seen on the DoctorOfCredit blog.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
long distance tolls?? You're in the wrong forum...

needhelpplease (Dec. 02, 2016 @ 10:40p) |

Nice, thanks. Took advantage of it, and I had just got the $150 bonus from the checking account last month. This'll give... (more)

jaytrader (Dec. 03, 2016 @ 7:23a) |

Are you referring to this deal for HSBC:? https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1461693

SinbadS (Dec. 03, 2016 @ 8:21a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Looks like 6.67% annualized rate for $250 on $15K for 3 months (before taxes).

rated:
Soft pull. No credit card funding. No other requirements need to be fulfilled other than the the deposit money
http://www.doctorofcredit.com/tiaa-250-savings-account-bonus-nat...

rated:
Terms said: TIAA Direct will credit a $250 bonus to a new High Yield Savings account if the account is opened by 12/5/2016, at least $15,000 is deposited within 10 days of account opening and at least that minimum balance is maintained in the account every day through the 90th day after account opening.

If you time it correctly, you need to maintain the 15k only for 80 days.

rated:
Searching the topics here, I haven't found this savings promotion offered in the past.
Has anyone seen it that I may have missed? I don't have the funds to play this time,
but would love to see it come back in a couple months.

rated:
FrozenBiker said:   Searching the topics here, I haven't found this savings promotion offered in the past.
Has anyone seen it that I may have missed? I don't have the funds to play this time,
but would love to see it come back in a couple months.

I dont think TIAA had consumer banking (at least not in a big way) until recently. They were mainly offering retirement products (targeting non-profits), insurance etc. They have offered a few checking bonuses in the last 1-2 years but I dont recall seeing a savings bonus offer in the past. I am hoping they will offer this in future, as a way of gaining customers.

rated:
Signed up. Very straight forward and smooth. Identity is verified online. Immediate access to Account Summary.

rated:
GoldenSacks said:   Signed up. Very straight forward and smooth. Identity is verified online. Immediate access to Account Summary.
Glad it went so well for you. My experience was anything but smooth.

Tried to fund my account via ACH, but the system crapped out and gave me the following error message...

"We could not process your request.
A system error occurred. Please call TIAA Direct Banking Services at 855 842-2372 for assistance."

Then, when I called the above number, I got a voice message telling me all representatives were currently assisting other customers and to please hold for the next available representative. A few minutes later I got a ring tone, but instead of the line being picked up by a representative I got a few blips and bleeps and was hung up on.

I called two more times and the exact same thing happened both times. Only on my fourth call was I finally able to speak to a representative.

Instead of giving me the option to do immediate funding via ACH by giving them a username and password (which is what I wanted), the rep automatically initiated the "two trial deposits" method of ACH verification. Now I have to wait about 5 days and then call them back with the amount of the trial deposits and hope that I don't get hung up on again.

rated:
Is this targeted? I don't see a direct link to this offer on TIAA Direct's website.

rated:
FutureDilemma said:   Is this targeted? I don't see a direct link to this offer on TIAA Direct's website.

Does not appear to be targeted.  I opened an account online and the app auto-populated with the bonus code, had me accept the terms of the bonus, etc.

rated:
Let's say your $15k is sitting in an FDIC insured credit union reward checking account currently earning 3% or more. Over 90 days you would have already made $112.50 in interest, making this offer only a marginal gain of $137 bucks in exchange for tying up your money for 3 months and the hassle of watching another account.

No thanks, I'm good.

rated:
parmenides said:   
FutureDilemma said:   Is this targeted? I don't see a direct link to this offer on TIAA Direct's website.

Does not appear to be targeted.  I opened an account online and the app auto-populated with the bonus code, had me accept the terms of the bonus, etc.

That's because the link for the Open an Account button encodes the offer code, so the web app automatically enters it in your application. I am concerned because I know that TIAA Direct sends such targeted offers to some of its customers. A few months ago, I received an offer by email for $300 for a new checking account with direct deposit. I think I was targeted because I have a retirement account with TIAA-CREF. This savings account offer may have been similarly targeted. If so, they may refuse the bonus to those who didn't receive the offer email.

rated:
catanpirate said:   Let's say your $15k is sitting in an FDIC insured credit union reward checking account currently earning 3% or more. Over 90 days you would have already made $112.50 in interest, making this offer only a marginal gain of $137 bucks in exchange for tying up your money for 3 months and the hassle of watching another account.

On the flip side, you dont have to make xx debit transaction and yy ACH transactions every month to get the 3% reward checking interest. And you earn 0.64% on this account; that iss an extra $24 over three months.

To each their own. Whether it is worth it depends on several individual factors.

rated:
I am concerned because I know that TIAA Direct sends such targeted offers to some of its customers. A few months ago, I received an offer by email for $300 for a new checking account with direct deposit. I think I was targeted because I have a retirement account with TIAA-CREF. This savings account offer may have been similarly targeted. If so, they may refuse the bonus to those who didn't receive the offer email.
My understanding is that some of the previous offers have language such as " is only intended for the addressee of the email that was received" in the fine print.  There is no such language in this offer. 
Edit: Also, the poster on DoctorOfCredit who discovered the offer said he or she saw the promotion in a banner ad.

rated:
FutureDilemma said:   
parmenides said:   

That's because the link for the Open an Account button encodes the offer code, so the web app automatically enters it in your application. I am concerned because I know that TIAA Direct sends such targeted offers to some of its customers. A few months ago, I received an offer by email for $300 for a new checking account with direct deposit. I think I was targeted because I have a retirement account with TIAA-CREF. This savings account offer may have been similarly targeted. If so, they may refuse the bonus to those who didn't receive the offer email.

OK, fair point.  I'm already a TIAA customer, so perhaps that's why I didn't have any trouble through the application process.  I guess we'll see!

rated:
FutureDilemma said:   
parmenides said:   

https://www.tiaadirect.com/public/banking/land/display/fall_sav_250?tc_mcid=gn_tcdirect1016_savings_250_retg&iq_id=100745242-VQ16-c-VQ15-none-VQ6-155245613425 is not targeted. It is not like it had been embedded in some targeted email message. It is open to all and anyone can access this link.

rated:
giantsfan2 said:   
I am concerned because I know that TIAA Direct sends such targeted offers to some of its customers. A few months ago, I received an offer by email for $300 for a new checking account with direct deposit. I think I was targeted because I have a retirement account with TIAA-CREF. This savings account offer may have been similarly targeted. If so, they may refuse the bonus to those who didn't receive the offer email.
My understanding is that some of the previous offers have language such as " is only intended for the addressee of the email that was received" in the fine print.  There is no such language in this offer. 
Edit: Also, the poster on DoctorOfCredit who discovered the offer said he or she saw the promotion in a banner ad.

Correction: I received the offer by paper mail. It did include a disclaimer that is was only intended for the addressee of the letter. I think the link in the letter led to a web page where this disclaimer was not included. However, that link is now dead so I cannot be sure of this. So anyone who knew of that link around that time could have applied for that offer. I don't know if they would have received the bonus if they did not receive the letter first.

The situation is probably similar here. Someone got a hold of a link from a targeted mail campaign, saw that the web page linked to in the letter does not have a disclaimer, and shared it. I think there is a good chance of getting this bonus even if you weren't targeted but don't let it shock you if don't get it automatically and have to fight for it.

rated:
iLoveTahoe said:   
GoldenSacks said:   Signed up. Very straight forward and smooth. Identity is verified online. Immediate access to Account Summary.
Glad it went so well for you. My experience was anything but smooth.

Tried to fund my account via ACH, but the system crapped out and gave me the following error message...

"We could not process your request.
A system error occurred. Please call TIAA Direct Banking Services at 855 842-2372 for assistance."

Then, when I called the above number, I got a voice message telling me all representatives were currently assisting other customers and to please hold for the next available representative. A few minutes later I got a ring tone, but instead of the line being picked up by a representative I got a few blips and bleeps and was hung up on.

I called two more times and the exact same thing happened both times. Only on my fourth call was I finally able to speak to a representative.

Instead of giving me the option to do immediate funding via ACH by giving them a username and password (which is what I wanted), the rep automatically initiated the "two trial deposits" method of ACH verification. Now I have to wait about 5 days and then call them back with the amount of the trial deposits and hope that I don't get hung up on again.

Download their mobile app and write yourself a $15K check and do a mobile deposit.

rated:
On the second thought I am glad I chose the deposit verification option to fund. I will call and verify if this is a bona fide offer or not.

rated:
GoldenSacks said:   
FutureDilemma said:   
parmenides said:   

https://www.tiaadirect.com/public/banking/land/display/fall_sav_250?tc_mcid=gn_tcdirect1016_savings_250_retg&iq_id=100745242-VQ16-c-VQ15-none-VQ6-155245613425 is not targeted. It is not like it had been embedded in some targeted email message. It is open to all and anyone can access this link.

Notice how that is a single stand alone web page without the menu on the top of the page that the main website has, and that there are no links to this page from the main website. Notice how there is no login button on this offer page, nor links to their banking products (checking, savings, etc). In fact, there are virtually no links or buttons on this page except the Open an Account button and the footer which contains some links to their standard legalese. Clearly, this is a standalone page that is separate from the website, not targeted at regular visitors to their regular website. It was meant to be accessed only by those who received the link in their offer letter. Of course, that is a poor form of access control in this era of social media, which makes me think that TIAA Direct probably isn't too much worried about getting a few extra customers on board, which is why I think that everyone who applies through this page and fulfills the requirements will get the bonus. However, don't mislead yourself. Know that you are applying for a targeted offer.

rated:
fwuser12 said:   
Terms said: TIAA Direct will credit a $250 bonus to a new High Yield Savings account if the account is opened by 12/5/2016, at least $15,000 is deposited within 10 days of account opening and at least that minimum balance is maintained in the account every day through the 90th day after account opening.

If you time it correctly, you need to maintain the 15k only for 80 days.

For an extra 10 days... I'd just open the account with the full $15k. If you deposited $15k on the 10th day of opening the account... the 90th day will have an average balance of $13,500 ((81 * 15,000) / 90). So really its 9 days, which is an estimated $9.01 (11.38 - 2.37). I wouldn't gamble a gain of $9.01.....

rated:
CSR said the bonus will be paid in 14 days after the initial 90 days period during the time they verify the account balance (for bonus qualification) and its good standing.

rated:
Turns out this is indeed a targeted offer but not an individually targeted one. While reading an article at Ars Technica, an ad showed up in the sidebar advertising this offer. So it is part of a targeted ad campaign. That means they have no way of verifying if you were targeted or not, so everyone applying for this offer can expect to get the bonus.

rated:
in for 2

rated:
Something hinky here. Website  application would not process beyond name and e-mail, box appeared to call a non-toll-free number. Rep. ran through 3 sets of ID questions which I "passed" and read all the disclosures then put me on hold. After 15 min it then became evident this was a waste of my time and long distance tolls for nothing. I got off the phone while still on hold.

rated:
offer is genuine. Signed up. Got it opened online, but called the number anyways and had the rep on the line with me as I went through the process. Opened, confirmed, gave the account number to the rep to confirm the offer code is applied. It was applied correctly. It is right there on first page. Rep confirmed as long as I meet the requirements, the bonus is in. Rep also confirmed that this is not a targeted offer.

Hope this helps someone who wants to try before this offer ends on Monday.

rated:
Have had good success with TIAA Direct myself as well. Earned multiple checking account bonuses the past few years, thanks to Doctor of Credit. Always credited my account without headaches, unlike HSBC, Citi, etc

Took advantage of this savings account offer over the phone a few weeks ago, expecting much the same

rated:
smarteconomist1 said:   Something hinky here. Website  application would not process beyond name and e-mail, box appeared to call a non-toll-free number. Rep. ran through 3 sets of ID questions which I "passed" and read all the disclosures then put me on hold. After 15 min it then became evident this was a waste of my time and long distance tolls for nothing. I got off the phone while still on hold.

long distance tolls?? You're in the wrong forum...

rated:
Nice, thanks. Took advantage of it, and I had just got the $150 bonus from the checking account last month. This'll give me another $250 (HSBC $350 as well) coming in March.

rated:
jaytrader said:   Nice, thanks. Took advantage of it, and I had just got the $150 bonus from the checking account last month. This'll give me another $250 (HSBC $350 as well) coming in March.
  Are you referring to this deal for HSBC:? https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1461693

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016