• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Hi guys,

I recently purchased a subscription from BarkBox during their black friday promotion.  I misunderstood the commitment, thinking that I had the option to cancel after the introductory box.  At this point, it seems I'm locked into 12 months, which I want to get out of.  I paid with my debit card at the time.  I was hoping you guys could advise me on my options and potential consequences.

I was hoping to either (1) tell my bank to refuse any charges from that merchant moving forward or (2) cancel the debit card and request a new one.

Are there any potential implications for my credit report?  If I eliminate their ability to receive payment and they keep sending me the product, could they report me as delinquent?  Are there any conditions/requirements for a merchant to impact someone's credit report?

Thanks!

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Best is always to work it out with the original seller -- if you ask nicely and professionally, you may be able to get it to cancel what sounds like an annual contract.

Otherwise, you may have to close the bank account to which the debit card is attached and start over again.

You have fewer rights to dispute things purchased with a debit card, so it's always better to use a credit card if that's an option. If for not other reason, it's a lot easier to change a credit card number than an entire bank account associated with a debit card.

rated:
Call BarkBox and tell them your dog died so you no longer need the subscription.

rated:
Abide by the terms of the contract which you voluntarily entered?

rated:
Have you contacted their customer service to check their cancellation policy? A lot of those subscription boxes won't allow you to stop in the middle of a term (i.e. if you sign up for a year, you can't cancel in the middle).

Are you having issues with the items/quality? Do they have any kind of guarantee based on that? Could you tell them that you got the first box, weren't satisfied, and don't want to continue?

No matter what happens, make SURE you go in to your account and set it to NOT AUTO RENEW. Do it now, if you haven't, and take a screenshot in case it doesn't work right.

Also, if you're stuck with the box - consider donating items to your local pet shelter, and possibly getting a write off. Or, maybe looking online to see if anyone is interested in buying boxes from you (not sure how likely that is).

Good luck with it.

rated:
What did you sign up for? This mistake could cost you between $120 and $220.

If you just refuse to pay, they could send you to collections and it could affect your credit.

So, either pay for it or ask nicely and see if they let you out of it.

rated:
zkreflex said:   I was hoping to either (1) tell my bank to refuse any charges from that merchant moving forward or (2) cancel the debit card and request a new one.
  Neither is going to absolve of your obligations under the contract; if you agreed to a 12 months subscription, your best bet it to contact the merchant directly to work something out.

rated:
Considering you have to choose a 1, 6, or 12 month subscription, how did you not know?

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016