• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Hi all,

Old thread.
Link 

I ended up taking Job A in the old thread. Rented out my old house for cash.

Me: 30, financially stable, own 2-3 rental units in the area, unmarried, no kids. Philadelphia metro. 

My job is pretty easy and I like it.

Currently, I get a salary of about $129k, W2, with the standard relatively mediocre benefits package. With salary reviews going on soon, I want more money. 

Situation:
I work for a secondary partner on a government IT contract. The primary contractor (one of the larger consulting firms in this country. I will call them LCF) has about half of the ~30 spots in this part of the contract. Several secondary partners like mine have 2-3 spots each. My company.has 2 spots, which are myself and one other guy (guy #2). For reasons I won't get into, the LCF and the client forced that other guy out yesterday. So I am the only guy representing my company, and my company is obviously racking up only half as many billable hours until they fill the spot.

I have little to no interaction with anyone else at my employer on a day to day basis other than filling out a timesheet, which they use for billing purposes, and this perfunctory annual review coming up.

For whatever its worth, I have gotten great performance reviews and public recognition both from the client and my 'supervisors' at the LCF (technically they are not by bosses, but per the above situation with guy #2, they have some abilities in that regard). And my company has asked for my assistance in finding and vetting candidates for guy #2's spot. Between the vacancy/mess that guy #2 created, the general reviews that I have received, and the fact that I am currently the only representative from my company on this contract, I believe I have some leverage to make a big ask in cash terms.

So, how do I get more money? Some thoughts of mine.

1. Try to go C2C and sever my employee relationship. C2C would probably be in my financial advantage due to my age, health, and my general lack of needs for benefits, all things being equal. And C2C is probably the best path for me for my next job. I am quite certain that my company will not like this idea, presumably because they can make more keeping me on W2. They have generally indicated that they want to get more people on W2 rather than C2C. Ultimately these are just pay schemes and its the raw numbers that matter. I have fun with finances and math and such so C2C paperwork does not bother me. I have to figure out a rate if I do this, but it would probably have to be something close to (3) below.
2. Try to make a big ask on W2. I am thinking something like $160k.
3. I have some other opportunities on the horizon a few months from now that might give me $100-$110 hour C2C, but these are not set in stone, and would at the minimum involve me working harder than I do now. 

Thoughts? Am I misreading anything? Part of me things going (1), then (2) might work. But it also sounds like of cute. Anything I am missing? I know the general premium from W2 to C2C approaches 30% of so with a substantial range based on situation, and I know people tend to undervalue W2 benefits.

Thanks in advance!

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
I don't think there is any incentive for your current employer to go corp to corp (they may be willing to throw you a few more dollars since they save on benefits... but my experience is that it usually isn't enough to make corp to corp worthwhile) and I'd be shocked if you didn't sign a non-compete when you started... going to be tough to work for the same customer as an independent.

rated:
BigFatCat said:   I don't think there is any incentive for your current employer to go corp to corp (they may be willing to throw you a few more dollars since they save on benefits... but my experience is that it usually isn't enough to make corp to corp worthwhile) and I'd be shocked if you didn't sign a non-compete when you started... going to be tough to work for the same customer as an independent.

I have a 1 year non compete. 

rated:
Even with modest benefits, a 129k w2 could easily cost them 160k+ fully burdened, so roughly 80$/hr.

Know how much they are billing you out at? Your leverage really depends on how much margin they are currently getting off you.

rated:
This is a government contract, so they have restrictions on giving you raises from my experience. I would push for a bonus instead.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016