• filter:

Paying IRS estimated taxes with a credit card question

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
I have never paid IRS online or through a website with a credit card. I must pay quarterly estimated taxes. I always pay with a check and attach a voucher that they send me once a year for each payment with envelops that they also provide. My question is if I want to pay with a credit card online (1) can I pay estimated taxes without vouchers and (2) what websites are the best to pay with a credit card?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Hadrianus said:   I have never paid IRS online or through a website with a credit card. I must pay quarterly estimated taxes. I always pay with a check and attach a voucher that they send me once a year for each payment with envelops that they also provide. My question is if I want to pay with a credit card online (1) can I pay estimated taxes without vouchers and (2) what websites are the best to pay with a credit card?
  Yes.
See here: https://www.irs.gov/uac/pay-taxes-by-credit-or-debit-card
(The first one on the list has the lowest fee). Use a CC with ~ 2% cashback and you come out ahead.

rated:
Alternatively, you can use the same web services and pay with a debit card for a much cheaper rate. Approximately how much are your quarterly payments?

rated:
JW10 said:   Alternatively, you can use the same web services and pay with a debit card for a much cheaper rate. Approximately how much are your quarterly payments?
  I'm a contractor so each payment could be a couple of thousand dollars.

rated:
Hadrianus said:   
JW10 said:   Alternatively, you can use the same web services and pay with a debit card for a much cheaper rate. Approximately how much are your quarterly payments?

I have paid quarterly for the last thirty years.  Always used to use their vouchers, but not in these most recent five to seven years.  Always pay with rewards credit card now, one or another.  One card has 5% reward (Compass NBA) while the other has only a 2% reward (Barclay Priceline).  You don't make a LOT of money but there is some saving.  And you do not need a voucher when you pay on the internet.

You might say, on the Priceline card, the profit is really small.  Well, the other thing you get is a goose to your rewards points.  This oftentimes means collecting rewards earned elsewhere earlier.  So, along with the small profit, it is a nice outcome.

Finally, if you have stranded points on any rewards credit card, payment of taxes can become a way to free up those points.  Course you have to do the math in advance to see if this tactic will pay.

rated:
Hadrianus said:   

You can pay each of the IRS approved payment services two debit card payment per calendar quarter. I make two $500.00 debit gift card payments via Official Payments and another two $500.00 debit gift card payments via Pay1040.com.  That is $2000.00 per calendar quarter.  Watching the various offers for the Gift Cards such as Chase Freedom or Ink credit cards, you can get up to 5% of the cost of the gift cards as credit card rebates.  Some places like Office Depot or the like offer these at a small discount which covers the cost of card activation saving you at least 1% of the payment.

rated:

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017