• filter:
  • Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
The VW Diesel buyback program is active and the requirement is 'must drive, no salvage title' so returnees are having a bit of fun.

https://bgr.com/2016/12/13/vw-settlement-cars-update/

See picture. 

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Pretty sure he will get paid in the end, although he may have to reskin it.  (Money says the panels get a bit "damaged" ... (more)

RedWolfe01 (Dec. 23, 2016 @ 10:59a) |

Well, I guess that answers one question...

gatzdon (Dec. 29, 2016 @ 11:28a) |

They are buying back vehicles that they may get approved modifications for.  They are not allowed to just export them to... (more)

RedWolfe01 (Dec. 29, 2016 @ 2:42p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Slacker. I can still see at least a few more items he should have stripped. Those tires look brand new! Left the mirrors, or is street legal a requirement?

I love it. VW desires it.

rated:
Sure, that'll show them.

rated:
leaving new tires on? psh... amateur

rated:
Heh, you could take almost all the skin off - those parts will fit the gasoline versions that get wrecked... I suspect used VW parts have already taken a serous devaluation though.

rated:
reminds me of foreclosure homes.

rated:
needhelpplease said:   reminds me of foreclosure homes.
  Pfft. These guys are amateurs compared to what I did to some foreclosed homes.

rated:
alamo11 said:   
needhelpplease said:   reminds me of foreclosure homes.
  Pfft. These guys are amateurs compared to what I did to some foreclosed homes.

 
Pay your bills, deadbeat!

rated:

rated:
There's no moral dilemma here if you know that VW is going to destroy the cars anyway. Better to recycle parts than to have them end up at a landfill.

rated:
ArmchairArchitect said:   There's no moral dilemma here if you know that VW is going to destroy the cars anyway. Better to recycle parts than to have them end up at a landfill.
  There's no moral dilemma anyway, no matter what. I don't care if VW is gonna donate them to the Sisters of Mercy.  VW makes the rules of the program; if a stripped car fits their rules, that's their problem.

rated:
ArmchairArchitect said:   There's no moral dilemma here if you know that VW is going to destroy the cars anyway. Better to recycle parts than to have them end up at a landfill.
  
Unless VW recycles the car themselves, how likely is it that the cars somehow end up in Africa like Nigeria/etc?  These are fully operable cars with plenty of value in many parts of the world with lower (or no) emissions requirements.  If VW hires contractors to deal with the disposal process I would not be surprised to see cars will start slipping through the cracks and showing up in other places.  If not, there is still a ton of value in the aluminum, paladium, and other metals in the car.  They will definitely be stripped of everything of value by someone, not just tossed in a landfill.

rated:
realjones said:   
ArmchairArchitect said:   There's no moral dilemma here if you know that VW is going to destroy the cars anyway. Better to recycle parts than to have them end up at a landfill.
  
Unless VW recycles the car themselves, how likely is it that the cars somehow end up in Africa like Nigeria/etc?  These are fully operable cars with plenty of value in many parts of the world with lower (or no) emissions requirements.  If VW hires contractors to deal with the disposal process I would not be surprised to see cars will start slipping through the cracks and showing up in other places.  If not, there is still a ton of value in the aluminum, paladium, and other metals in the car.  They will definitely be stripped of everything of value by someone, not just tossed in a landfill.

  
VW was required to SPECIFICALLY guarantee that they were not exported as part of the settlement.  So no, they get crushed.  

rated:
kenblakely said:   ArmchairArchitect said:   There's no moral dilemma here if you know that VW is going to destroy the cars anyway. Better to recycle parts than to have them end up at a landfill.
  There's no moral dilemma anyway, no matter what. I don't care if VW is gonna donate them to the Sisters of Mercy.  VW makes the rules of the program; if a stripped car fits their rules, that's their problem.



The rules were set by the courts. VW attempted to prevent people from stripping cars, but they got a quick call from the lawyers on the case. They only thing that matters:

The car moves under it's own power
It has a clean title

rated:
RedWolfe01 said:   
realjones said:   
ArmchairArchitect said:   There's no moral dilemma here if you know that VW is going to destroy the cars anyway. Better to recycle parts than to have them end up at a landfill.
  
Unless VW recycles the car themselves, how likely is it that the cars somehow end up in Africa like Nigeria/etc?  These are fully operable cars with plenty of value in many parts of the world with lower (or no) emissions requirements.  If VW hires contractors to deal with the disposal process I would not be surprised to see cars will start slipping through the cracks and showing up in other places.  If not, there is still a ton of value in the aluminum, paladium, and other metals in the car.  They will definitely be stripped of everything of value by someone, not just tossed in a landfill.

  
VW was required to SPECIFICALLY guarantee that they were not exported as part of the settlement.  So no, they get crushed.  

  

and vw was required to be honest about emissions and we all see how that turned out.

 

rated:
Mickie3 said:   
RedWolfe01 said:   
realjones said:   
ArmchairArchitect said:   There's no moral dilemma here if you know that VW is going to destroy the cars anyway. Better to recycle parts than to have them end up at a landfill.
  
Unless VW recycles the car themselves, how likely is it that the cars somehow end up in Africa like Nigeria/etc?  These are fully operable cars with plenty of value in many parts of the world with lower (or no) emissions requirements.  If VW hires contractors to deal with the disposal process I would not be surprised to see cars will start slipping through the cracks and showing up in other places.  If not, there is still a ton of value in the aluminum, paladium, and other metals in the car.  They will definitely be stripped of everything of value by someone, not just tossed in a landfill.

  
VW was required to SPECIFICALLY guarantee that they were not exported as part of the settlement.  So no, they get crushed.  

  

and vw was required to be honest about emissions and we all see how that turned out.

 

  
One was in the dark of night and the other is in the light of day.

rated:
RedWolfe01 said:   
Mickie3 said:   
RedWolfe01 said:   
realjones said:   
ArmchairArchitect said:   There's no moral dilemma here if you know that VW is going to destroy the cars anyway. Better to recycle parts than to have them end up at a landfill.
  
Unless VW recycles the car themselves, how likely is it that the cars somehow end up in Africa like Nigeria/etc?  These are fully operable cars with plenty of value in many parts of the world with lower (or no) emissions requirements.  If VW hires contractors to deal with the disposal process I would not be surprised to see cars will start slipping through the cracks and showing up in other places.  If not, there is still a ton of value in the aluminum, paladium, and other metals in the car.  They will definitely be stripped of everything of value by someone, not just tossed in a landfill.

  
VW was required to SPECIFICALLY guarantee that they were not exported as part of the settlement.  So no, they get crushed.  

  

and vw was required to be honest about emissions and we all see how that turned out.

 

  
One was in the dark of night and the other is in the light of day.

  

as far as you know, that is.  Who knows what they will really do?

 

rated:

rated:
This is why we can't have nice things.

I hope the guy that stripped his car gets $0, as his antics will result in the courts ruling in favor of VW in terms of trade-in disputes just because this guy is a moronic inbred.

rated:
I don't think the problem was stripping the car to the limit, I think the problem was advertising it on Jalopnik in advance.

rated:
Crazytree said:   This is why we can't have nice things.

I hope the guy that stripped his car gets $0, as his antics will result in the courts ruling in favor of VW in terms of trade-in disputes just because this guy is a moronic inbred.

  
Pretty sure he will get paid in the end, although he may have to reskin it.  (Money says the panels get a bit "damaged" in the process)

rated:
VW said: Subject to regulatory approval of modifications that will allow vehicles to meet agreed emissions standards, the settlement allows Volkswagen to modify some of the vehicles we buy back so they can be returned to commerce rather than scrapped.

Well, I guess that answers one question...

rated:
gatzdon said:   
VW said: Subject to regulatory approval of modifications that will allow vehicles to meet agreed emissions standards, the settlement allows Volkswagen to modify some of the vehicles we buy back so they can be returned to commerce rather than scrapped.

Well, I guess that answers one question...

  
They are buying back vehicles that they may get approved modifications for.  They are not allowed to just export them to Africa or somewhere.

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017