• filter:

2017 Quarterly 5% Categories Released (mostly)

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Discover Card
Q1: Gas, Ground Transport, and Wholesale clubs
Q2: ?
Q3: ?
Q4: ?

Chase Freedom
Q1: Gas Stations, Local Commuter Transportation (not including parking, tolls and Amtrak purchases)
Q2: Grocery (not including WalMart and Target), Drug Stores
Q3: Summer Fun
Q4: Holiday

Citi Dividend
Q1: Home Furnishing Stores & The Home Depot
Q2: Drug Stores & Fitness Clubs
Q3: Airlines & Hilton Brands
Q4: Department Stores & Best Buy

So far, very little different from last year.  Citi is identical except for the substitution of Airlines for Car Rentals in Q3.  Discover's added Wholesale Clubs in Q1.  Repeat of Grocery on the Freedom in Q2 will be a welcome respite for the SallieMae card refugees.  We can also hope for a repeat of Restaurants for Q2 Discover and Q3 Chase, but I guess they'll keep us in suspense for a while.

Chris.

Moderator Comment: Thank you for participating in the forums. However, this topic has been covered in a recent post Here. — Dec. 15, 2016 @ 9:08pm
Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Q2 looks to be a busy quarter

rated:
What is "summer fun?"

rated:
are rentals included in Q1 Discover?

rated:
needhelpplease said:   are rentals included in Q1 Discover?

Yep.

rated:
cpaynter said:   

Yep.

see for yourself here        https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/cashback-bonus/cashback-calendar.html

and thanks for asking!     now to check on their rental insurance..........

rated:
kaneohe said:   
cpaynter said:   

Yep.

see for yourself here        https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/cashback-bonus/cashback-calendar.html 

FYI You could switch CC's @ checkout...

rated:
S197 said:   What is "summer fun?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8ht2mwoeTA

rated:
cpaynter said:   
Chase Freedom
Q2: Grocery (not including WalMart and Target ), Drug Stores

Looks like Freedom's 5% grocery also excludes discount or warehouse club stores.

www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/711457?showmessage=19811407#m19...

rated:
With Sallie Mae having turned turtle, there is going to be a LOT in interest in the Freedom Q2 groceries 5% thing.

My best information is that you will be able to sign up commencing one week from today, on March fifteenth.  And that is exactly what I am planning to do.

rated:
shinobi1 said:   With Sallie Mae having turned turtle, there is going to be a LOT in interest in the Freedom Q2 groceries 5% thing.
Have you considered the American Express Blue Cash cards (Everyday and Preferred)?  If 5% cash back on groceries for 3 months is this beneficial to you, 3% cash back year round, or 6% cash back for an annual fee, might be worth considering.

rated:
TooManyCards said:   
shinobi1 said:   With Sallie Mae having turned turtle, there is going to be a LOT in interest in the Freedom Q2 groceries 5% thing.
Have you considered the American Express Blue Cash cards (Everyday and Preferred)?  If 5% cash back on groceries for 3 months is this beneficial to you, 3% cash back year round, or 6% cash back for an annual fee, might be worth considering.

Yes, thanks.  I will be using my Blue Cash card later this month at 3% reward, and then again following Q2 just the moment my gift cards (bought during Q2 at 5% reward) run out.  How long those gift cards will last I do not now know.

rated:
Shinobi said:  "Yes, thanks.  I will be using my Blue Cash card later this month at 3% reward, and then again following Q2 just the moment my gift cards (bought during Q2 at 5% reward) run out.  How long those gift cards will last I do not now know."

That makes sense.  Good luck!

[Edited to deal with weirdness with the quote function]

rated:
needhelpplease said:   
kaneohe said:   
cpaynter said:   

Yep.

FYI You could switch CC's @ checkout...

I've done exactly that.  Rented the car using a Chase Sapphire Preferred to activate primary rental car insurance coverage, then when I completed my trip safely, checked the car back in, and asked to switch the charge to a different card that was giving me 5% CB on car rental.  Worked fine!  Actually, I hadn't thought about it until one time the clerk actually asked me "same card?" when I did the paperwork to return the car.  Had never thought of it as an option before.  And I suppose YMMV with whatever clerk you happen to get.

Chris.

rated:
This isn't on your list but the Q2 of the U.S. Bank Cash+ Card has been released. Pretty much removed the "charity" category from Q1 and replaced it with ground transportation:

January - March: Select Clothing Stores, Cell Phones, Electronic Stores, Car Rentals, Gyms/Fitness Centers, Bookstores, Fast Food, Charity (Will be replaced will Ground Transportation in February 15, 2017), Sporting Goods Store, Department Stores, Furniture Stores, or Movie Theatres(Must choose two) (valid through 3/31/2017)

April - June: Ground Transportation, Select Clothing Stores, Cell Phones, Electronic Stores, Car Rentals, Gyms/Fitness Centers, Bookstores, Fast Food, Sporting Goods Store, Department Stores, Furniture Stores, or Movie Theatres (Must choose two) (valid through 3/31/2017) (valid through 6/30/2017)

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017