Arcadia Power: Wind and Solar for Anyone

Archived From: Finance
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Arcadia Power offers 50% wind power or 100% wind power. 50% wind power is free.  100% wind power has a 1.5 cent per kWh premium. 

There is no contract.  You can cancel anytime.    You keep your utility but Arcadia has the bill sent to them. Payment is just like your utility bill, from a checking account to Arcadia. 

Unique to Arcadia is the connection with utilities nationwide and it goes with you even if you move.  They have the ability to connect with most utilities in all 50 states.

http://www.arcadiapower.com/ 

Arcadia also has subscriptions to solar projects.  You receive a monthly credit on the utility bill based on the energy produced, and get a small savings (about 1.5-2%).

http://www.arcadiapower.com/solar 

If you sign up through the Sierra Club website, $20 is applied to your Arcadia account.

Arcadia Power has an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
"Every friend, family member or colleague you introduce to Arcadia Power gets up to $25 off their first bill and you get... (more)

Argyll (Jan. 04, 2017 @ 6:52p) |

I think the problem some posters have with this thread is that they don't understand how utilities work with alternate s... (more)

Argyll (Jan. 05, 2017 @ 10:35p) |

List of states that have deregulated gas and electricity at current time:

http://www.quantumgas.com/list_of_energy_deregu... (more)

Mickie3 (Jan. 06, 2017 @ 7:17a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I was excited until I saw the 3% fee for paying by credit card. I had to enter my info to "check for availability" and it automatically created an account for my address.

There is no credit card fee for a solar subscription and no requirement to sign up for wind power.

Since I unofficially "signed up", I guess that means I can't use a referral?

qcumber98 said:   Since I unofficially "signed up", I guess that means I can't use a referral?
  It's best to ask Arcadia.

what happens after 5 years? credits continue?

needhelpplease said:   what happens after 5 years? credits continue?
 "When the savings term ends, your monthly solar credits will stop and the solar host will begin benefiting from the project. You can subscribe to a new project at that time."  - Arcadia website

Argyll said:   
 "When the savings term ends, your monthly solar credits will stop and the solar host will begin benefiting from the project. You can subscribe to a new project at that time."

In other words, you made a loan to a solar power system. The income from solar power paid part of your utility bill while making you a small profit. At the end it's paid off and the benefits of the system accrue to the owner of the system.

Considering the risk and return, this doesn't really seem to be worth the time.

Insurance and warranty of the solar project is covered. The time to buy a solar subscription is a few minutes.

Argyll said:   Insurance and warranty are covered in the price. ....

What exactly is being insured and warrantied?

qcumber98 said:   I was excited until I saw the 3% fee for paying by credit card. I had to enter my info to "check for availability" and it automatically created an account for my address.
  There was another thread on this earlier that made me look into this.  I did not sign up because I was sure there was some sort of catch I was not seeing.  Not sure if this is a "catch" but it is info not readily discernible in a quick overview.  Thanks for posting this.

gasaver said:   
qcumber98 said:   I was excited until I saw the 3% fee for paying by credit card. I had to enter my info to "check for availability" and it automatically created an account for my address.
  There was another thread on this earlier that made me look into this.  I did not sign up because I was sure there was some sort of catch I was not seeing.  Not sure if this is a "catch" but it is info not readily discernible in a quick overview.  Thanks for posting this.

I "checked for availability" for wind and when I did it again for solar, that's when it said I already had an account.  I did not receive an email saying an account had been created or what my password was.  So I reset my password because I was curious and they have a graph of my electricity usage behind a popup that wants me to enter my payment info.  It wouldn't let me cancel the popup so I quit.  I don't really understand how this translates to saving me money but they must be desperate for new customers if they are signing people up this way.

fw9999 said:   
Argyll said:   Insurance and warranty are covered in the price. ....
  What exactly is being insured and warrantied?

The solar power systems. "All projects are insured and under warranty."

gasaver said:   

Most utilities do not take credit cards. When you sign up for wind power with Arcadia, your utility remains the same but the bill is sent to Arcadia, which pays it, and you pay Arcadia, preferably from a checking account as you probably pay your utility now. .

For solar subscriptions, you can pay with a credit card without a fee.

Is this anything more than an investment? You invest $325 and you get $357 over 5 years. You invest $257 and get $300 over 10 years. I think it translates to interest rates between 3.5% and 4% Oh yeah, BTW, your investment also generates energy. But is that it, as part of the financial aspect of this investment?

qcumber98 said:   
gasaver said:   

I "checked for availability" for wind and when I did it again for solar, that's when it said I already had an account.  I did not receive an email saying an account had been created or what my password was.  So I reset my password because I was curious and they have a graph of my electricity usage behind a popup that wants me to enter my payment info.  It wouldn't let me cancel the popup so I quit.  I don't really understand how this translates to saving me money but they must be desperate for new customers if they are signing people up this way.

If you clicked on a plan or on one of the solar power projects in the pop-up,  they assumed you wanted to open an account.

Hmmm. It's grey and overcast 6 months/year here. Sorry.

Domer94 said:   Hmmm. It's grey and overcast 6 months/year here. Sorry.
  Then this is perfect for you.  You are purchasing an interest in other people's solar projects, not putting up your own.

This look like its a subscription to privately-pooled third party power projects. Someone who wants to switch to solar or other
environmentally-friendly power sources can do so by subscribing to Arcadia to supply their power usage through the national grid.
Just as anyone can now - due to deregulation you can now choose "who supplies your power".

You still keep your existing utility, but you are just changing the sourcing of the power - on paper. You then could feasibly benefit
from the SRECs produced by your "virtual solar supply" - Arcadia sells those SRECs for you and refunds that money onto your bill.

It not a bad idea as long as power costs remain high (other supply sources vs Arcadias) and the incoming administration doesn't do away with SRECs and other incentives for wind and solar.

I'm throwing solar on the FL house while the 30% tax rebate still is in effect - but it will only produce a fraction (1/2) of the
power I need. This is an interesting way for someone like me to fully go with solar power while not putting up more panels.

Again, I would do the math - and wait and see.

You make a small profit from your solar subscription as the power is produced each month because the host is paying back Arcadia.

Could be - the site is not really all that good at explaining how its done, IMHO.

Argyll said:   
gasaver said:   

Most utilities do not take credit cards. When you sign up for wind power with Arcadia, your utility remains the same but the bill is sent to Arcadia, which pays it, and you pay Arcadia, preferably from a checking account as you probably pay your utility now. .

For solar subscriptions, you can pay with a credit card without a fee.

This is the one thing that concerns me the most. What if something happens to Arcadia and they don't pay the bill? Would I have warning before the late and shut-off notices start coming?

If it wasn't for this provision, I would think about doing it.

Argyll said:   
 "When the savings term ends, your monthly solar credits will stop and the solar host will begin benefiting from the project. You can subscribe to a new project at that time."  - Arcadia FAQ

Thx but no real direct benefit to purchaser other than CC reward on   purchase of a solar subscription but big  risk if they go under in  5 years?

Unless CC would stand behind something like this for 5 years? Maybe AMEX?

I could have sworn this thread was posted a few weeks back and their business model got exposed. OP says he doesn't work for Arcadia but why push so hard to promote and defend the business plan on all the forums?

Edit:  the first post this OP posted got deleted, probably because the details of how this business works got too detailed.

The gist of it:

Buy into their 50% wind power plan for "free" or into their 100% wind power plan with a surcharge on top of your regular bill.  Pay by credit card and get charged 3% extra.

In either case they promise to "invest" in clean energy when all they do is buy renewable energy credits at a deep discount and pocket the difference between the surcharge and their cost making you think that you're going "green" when in fact you're just buying energy credits.  if you decide to "invest" in panels then it's more or less the same story - you pay them a premium for a discount on your bill amortized over years and years - you don't know if they're actually setting up new infrastructure or simply using that money to buy RECs.

DaCheeze said:   Could be - the site is not really all that good at explaining how its done, IMHO.
  Because if they explained it well and clearly, no one would buy into this.

If the business plan and investment opportunity can't be easily explained then it's probably a scam. This sounds like a scam.

I'm in a state where electric and gas have been deregulated and I am accustomed to choosing alternate energy suppliers for over a decade. My utility, BGE, has about 80 different gas and electric suppliers listed. In the last decade I've gone through a co-op which led me to several different suppliers, which I usually choose because they are the cheapest or have the most renewable energy.

OP, can't you just sell Avon or Tupperware like in the good old days?

Here's another organization that does Community Solar:

http://groundswell.org/temple-of-praise-groundswell-cs-pressrelease/? 

This is limited to people in a certain geographic area near the project.

Groundswell also offers 100% wind power::

http://groundswell.org/clean-energy/wind-power/ 

Here is a list of some other local organizations  (mostly Massachusetts and one in Minnesota):

http://www.energysage.com/community-solar/projects-companies/ 

Argyll, can you clarify if you have any financial interest in Arcadia or a similar operation?

cestmoi123 said:   Argyll, can you clarify if you have any financial interest in Arcadia or a similar operation?
Yes. I have no financial interest in Arcadia or any other similar operation.

Some of the posters above have posted false information.

You can find out the same info I have easily enough.

I just noticed that if you sign up with Arcadia through the Sierra Club site, you get $20 applied to your Arcadia account, and for every Sierra Club member who signs up, Arcadia makes a donation:

http://www.sierraclub.org/member-center 

http://www.sierraclub.org/member-center/support-wind-farms-arcad... 

anthonyu said:   Is this anything more than an investment? You invest $325 and you get $357 over 5 years. You invest $257 and get $300 over 10 years. I think it translates to interest rates between 3.5% and 4% Oh yeah, BTW, your investment also generates energy. But is that it, as part of the financial aspect of this investment?
  I think this it. You get about 3.5% return on your money and you get to feel that you're doing something good. However, there is probably some risk involved: you get less than your expected rate or the company goes under. 

This is a list of 100% Green Power User Organizations from the EPA.  276 out of 784 list Arcadia Power as the provider.

http://www.epa.gov/greenpower/green-power-partnership-100-green-power-users 

Locate Green Power suppliers in your state:

http://apps3.eere.energy.gov/greenpower/buying/buying_power.shtml 

Arcadia Power is a certified B Corp:

http://www.bcorporation.net/community/arcadia-power 

"B Corp is to business what Fair Trade certification is to coffee or USDA Organic certification is to milk. B Corps are for-profit companies certified by the nonprofit B Lab to meet rigorous standards of social and environmental performance, accountability, and transparency."

Community Solar now Available Nationwide from Arcadia Power:

http://cleantechnica.com/2016/12/08/community-solar-now-available-nationwide-arcadia-power/   

Arcadia Power Looks to Fix Complicated Community Solar Programs With Better Software:

http://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/arcadia-power-takes-community-solar-nationwide-with-new-platform

Skipping 7 Messages...
List of states that have deregulated gas and electricity at current time:

http://www.quantumgas.com/list_of_energy_deregulated_states_in_u...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017