• Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I had a vehicle issue with my personal car and rushed to my local ERAC and told the agent that I didn't want any of the insurance whenever he brought it up and even mentioned that I had a credit card that has primary coverage. Someone else from the office called me yesterday afternoon and said if I brought the car back that evening they wouldn't charge me for the current day, which I did.  I got my receipt and it had 4 different kinds of insurance all the way up to an additional liability insurance which all together added ~$40 a day.  After some light complaining they took off one days of insurance as a "miscellaneous refund" and I should have pushed it harder at the time, but didn't.  In my haste it's entirely possibly I signed the tablet and the multiple boxes agreeing to it, so I'm assuming there is probably nothing I can do if that's the case.

At best case it was an accident on their part, worst case they snuck it in on purpose. I wasn't given any receipt when I signed for it and certainly wouldn't have accepted if I had know the vehicle would be double the price when I booked it.  I'm currently waiting for a call back on Monday but wanted to see if anyone had any other suggestions. It's not a ton of money but I'm pretty annoyed for getting what I would call swindled, even if I did sign on the dotted line. Anyone have any other suggestions other than being nice but firm about my displeasure?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
There are a few countries that are not covered by many cards - so those are likely to ask.  (Ireland, Italy, Israel in p... (more)

RedWolfe01 (Dec. 21, 2016 @ 9:02a) |

Welcome to the internet, try not to feed the trolls or they will keep coming back.

imbatman (Dec. 21, 2016 @ 9:43a) |

It would be a REALLY tough case to make that Enterprise is responsible for not detecting that the customer is lying to t... (more)

cestmoi123 (Dec. 22, 2016 @ 12:17p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

There's a reason why they have the lowest rates. (I saw the same thing at DIA, and had them remove them all)

Don't sign or accept the car until the contract is correct. Sorry to be Captain Hindsight.

Tell them you want the correct spelling of your agent's full name for your yelp review...

Surely you signed a rental agreement when you took the car. Hard to believe Enterprise let you walk out the door with the car keys and no signed rental agreement.

It was on a tablet and they seem to have a difficult time locating the "document"

I obviously understand that. I was in a rush and have acknowledged that I may have inadvertently signed accepting the add ons.  I quite possibly could be totally at fault but it's very disappointing after discussing that I didn't want any additional fees/insurance/waivers/whatever added on that I got back and noticed a large charge on my bill.  My question was if there is any suggestions for any kind of good faith on their part. I don't think I tried to skirt responsibility at all in this post.

I've had similar problem with rental car companies conveniently not being able to pull up contracts on the tablet & pulling other shenanigans with the whole tablet signature thing, so now I demand a printed copy of the signed contract. I've had to yell and scream when sometimes handed lame excuses like no working printer available. I'm not convinced that they can't go back and alter the signed contract when left on a tablet. If it were up to me, a paper copy would be mandatory because the rental car companies are so slimy and can't be trusted.

Enterprise pulled the same scam on me.

I had a copy of the contract, their excuse was that their system defaults to ALL of the insurance being accepted and they forgot to remove it.

Enterprise pays bonuses on these extra "sales", it's another Wells Fargo new account type scam - you have to be careful with Enterprise.

They email the tablet stuff to you instead of printing it. But you do have to check it with EVERY car rental agency before you sign - there is a REASON they make you initial it.

good job. people like you subsidize my cheap rentals. your negligence is my gain.

As I always say "somebody has to pay full price to keep the discounts coming"

Write a letter to corporate then let it go as an education cost

In the end it's your word vs their word except you signed for these costs

slappycakes said:   Enterprise pulled the same scam on me.

I had a copy of the contract, their excuse was that their system defaults to ALL of the insurance being accepted and they forgot to remove it.

Enterprise pays bonuses on these extra "sales", it's another Wells Fargo new account type scam - you have to be careful with Enterprise.

Having worked for ERAC for several years in the past, that is actually 100% true. The way they have their system set up, the computer assumes that all insurance is taken until the contract is signed for and then the ERAC employee has to manually uncheck all the boxes. No doubt they do it to psychologically motivate their employees for sales.

As for OP, just get the respective Area Managers name and number. If you truly verbally insisted against insurance and they then checked it for you anyways, that is messed up. No one I know has ever done that in 2+ years of prior experience(not at airports, and prior to tablet introduction). The problem that ERAC does have is there are a lot of unscrupulous individuals who literally ASK for the full coverage at $43 a day (or whatever the local going rate is) and then upon return of the car yell and scream that they never knew what they were signing for and we just shoved a paper in their face and told them to sign here and here and here and here and here. They do that so that they can get the reassurance of full coverage, without actually having to pay. I mean I get it, they aren't used to the car and its usually the current model year, and are just given keys and told that you will be responsible for any damage. But that is equally as fraudulent as tricking people into getting coverage that they do not want.

My last Enterprise rental was in August, and I signed and received regular paperwork.  No tablets.

Thanks for the heads up if this is a nation-wide change.

ziri said:   good job. people like you subsidize my cheap rentals. your negligence is my gain.
  This place used to be full of helpful people, clearly that has changed when I see post like this.  I was in an emergency situation and had to leave very quickly for an emergency and my employer will gladly pay for it.  It's more of an ethical question on their part and it's not a significant amount of money, I'm just trying to figure out if they hustled me on purpose and how loud of a stink I should make about it.

Thanks to everyone else with productive comments! Much appreciated.

footballking732 said:   
slappycakes said:   Enterprise pulled the same scam on me.

As for OP, just get the respective Area Managers name and number. If you truly verbally insisted against insurance and they then checked it for you anyways, that is messed up. 

I specifically told the guy that I've got a credit card that has primary coverage (Sapphire Reserve) and that I definitely did not need it.  I also have an umbrella policy so I also definitely wouldn't have added that on knowingly.  I hate to make assumptions, but I'm guessing they encouraged me to bring the car back early and giving me a "deal" so I wouldn't complain as much about the added on insurance/waivers, which I assume makes up a large part of their pay checks.  The local manager was quick to give me one day of charges back on the extra charges as a "miscellaneous refund" which makes me think he's just hoping to get me out of there without creating a huge stink and still getting something.

I also told the manager I'm happy to pay for the day that they took the charge off for the actual rental. I told him I've got no problem paying for what I actually asked for, but not the rest.   He's supposed to follow up with me Monday.  Thanks Slappycakes  

Google some corporate codes. Most of them will give you free damage waiver. I have been using them for years.

sharpie130 said:   Google some corporate codes. Most of them will give you free damage waiver. I have been using them for years.
  I don't need a damage waiver, that's the whole point.  

marstaton said:   I had a credit card that has primary coverage.

This may be slightly off-topic, but can someone briefly explain why primary/secondary coverage matters?  I've never understood this.  My current (limited) understanding is that secondary coverage is secondary to any coverage you might already have through your own insurance company, IF you have any coverage at all.  But as long as some insurance company is paying the damages, rather than you, why does it matter to the renter which company gets stuck with the bill?  Is this just about deductibles, or...?

Also, why couldn't you just tell the credit card insurance company that you don't have any coverage elsewhere?

irate_retro said:   marstaton said:   I had a credit card that has primary coverage.

This may be slightly off-topic, but can someone briefly explain why primary/secondary coverage matters?  I've never understood this.  My current (limited) understanding is that secondary coverage is secondary to any coverage you might already have through your own insurance company, IF you have any coverage at all.  But as long as some insurance company is paying the damages, rather than you, why does it matter to the renter which company gets stuck with the bill?  Is this just about deductibles, or...?

Also, why couldn't you just tell the credit card insurance company that you don't have any coverage elsewhere?

When your personal insurance is used, your rates go up. "Some insurance company" doesn't pay, YOU pay over time.

Bend3r said:   When your personal insurance is used, your rates go up. "Some insurance company" doesn't pay, YOU pay over time.

The claim gets reported on your LexisNexis et al. reports either way, doesn't it?  If so, when your insurance company does their annual pulls they would find out and increase your rates anyway...?  I agree, consumers are the ones that pay over time.  Doesn't matter if it's the CC insurance or your personal insurance, right?  So we're back to my original question.

Enterprise did something similar to me with a discover rewards cert. No one knew how to process it and they promised to figure out after I returned car. Got a full charge on CC later Wonder if I can ask discover to return cert?

Do any other car rental companies do neighborhood p/u? (in PHX)

needhelpplease said:   Do any other car rental companies do neighborhood p/u? (in PHX)

I tend to use Uber even IF I am using ERAC for pickup.  I let them take me home though -- usually in the car I just dropped off.  Not making them pick you up makes them more apt to upgrade you if they are low on your requested size.  Unless you have a special vehicle reserved like the big Ram.  Sadly the other neighborhood options tend to be more expensive in my experience.    

If they add insurance you didn't want/need may I suggest this: https://youtu.be/lciHCXQFkNk. Make it the most expensive $40 ever.

marstaton said:   
ziri said:   good job. people like you subsidize my cheap rentals. your negligence is my gain.
  This place used to be full of helpful people, clearly that has changed when I see post like this.  I was in an emergency situation and had to leave very quickly for an emergency and my employer will gladly pay for it.  It's more of an ethical question on their part and it's not a significant amount of money, I'm just trying to figure out if they hustled me on purpose and how loud of a stink I should make about it.

Thanks to everyone else with productive comments! Much appreciated.

I'm going to mark this as a 90% chance you tapped the wrong boxes on the tablet, and 9% incompetence on the part of the person checking you in, and 1% chance that they were going out of their way to screw you out of $40.  One of the things ERAC locations are scored on that acts as a multiplier on their bonuses from revenue and also whether the manager gets promoted/etc to the next level is customer sat scores, and any location with someone intentionally cramming insurance (there's enough stupid people that legitimately want it and pay for it) would have their complaint rate rise and sat score fall quickly enough that it would be an extremely short lived concept.

With the tablet once you sign at the bottom it's final - there's no way for the employee to override without redoing the entire contract, so just as you wish they had overridden yours after hearing you say "no insurance" and you selecting it, would you rather they had the ability to go in after you had checked "no insurance" and add it later?  

I had them do the same thing to me in the airport with Alamo, I believe. Reserved online, unchecked all of the boxes. Got to the airport checkout counter at 1am and was ready to get going. Verbally confirmed I did not want any additional insurances as I reserved it and was told to initial the screen in the highlighted boxes. Turned in the car four days later and the final receipt printed with all of the insurances. Had to catch flight and was getting nowhere with the local management. Called corporate, they basically told me I should read what I am signing. I followed up with a letter voicing my dissatisfaction. Never got a response and have never used them since.

As someone noted above, expensive lesson which taught me well indeed.

double post

hairybeast said:   I had them do the same thing to me in the airport with Alamo, I believe. Reserved online, unchecked all of the boxes. Got to the airport checkout counter at 1am and was ready to get going. Verbally confirmed I did not want any additional insurances as I reserved it and was told to initial the screen in the highlighted boxes. Turned in the car four days later and the final receipt printed with all of the insurances. Had to catch flight and was getting nowhere with the local management. Called corporate, they basically told me I should read what I am signing. I followed up with a letter voicing my dissatisfaction. Never got a response and have never used them since.

As someone noted above, expensive lesson which taught me well indeed.

same deal with ERAC happened to me, in this case a young girl was flirting and I didnt check about PAI and uninsured mototrist ins which was added.....

credit card dispute

dollar in omaha did the same to me. corporate said that office does all it's own billing and could not help. called the omaha Dollar Rent A Car desk and got put on hold forever. not worth the time or hassle so i let it go. to quote a great texan.
"There's an old saying in Tennessee—I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee—that says, fool me once, shame on—shame on you. Fool me—you can't get fooled again."

bassmanben said:   credit card dispute

Again, there is a REASON that they make you initial the boxes.  You will lose.

sharpie130 said:   Google some corporate codes. Most of them will give you free damage waiver. I have been using them for years.

You might end up with a very nasty surprise should you ever have to actually USE that damage waiver.  

RedWolfe01 said:   

Except you don't initial boxes.  You press on a screen and there is no hard copy signed.  There's no proof you "clicked" the boxes they said you did, and they can change them after you select them.

SuperET said:   As I always say "somebody has to pay full price to keep the discounts coming"
You must be a hit at cocktail parties.

Bend3r said:   
RedWolfe01 said:   

Except you don't initial boxes.  You press on a screen and there is no hard copy signed.  There's no proof you "clicked" the boxes they said you did, and they can change them after you select them.

You DO scribble initials, I just had a truck from them 2 weeks ago.  Yeah, its pretty much illegible.  But THAT is what they are going to present to the bank.
cestmoi123 said: You might end up with a very nasty surprise should you ever have to actually USE that damage waiver.

My last company had an ACTUAL CDW waiver -- not just corporate insurance so theirs would have worked for anyone, since the CDW comes in at $0 charge -- they didn't have the lowest rates though.  The company BEFORE that one had an umbrella policy in place instead, so you would find yourself uncovered.  You just declined CDW entirely.

In the former case it really was the CDW from the car company, in the latter it was not.  

irate_retro said:   
marstaton said:   I had a credit card that has primary coverage.

CC coverage is secondary IF you already have comp/collision coverage elsewhere.  otherwise, CC coverage is primary.

as somebody said, when YOUR insurance company pays, you're at risk for rate hikes/cancellation.  Additionally, the claim shows up on your CLUE, which insurance companies look at when you apply for insurance.  a SINGLE claim could get you a denial or a high quote.

if you say you lack existing coverage for comp/collision, I've heard that CC companies require you to submit a notarized affidavit.  If you lied, I doubt anything would come of it (for property claims). But, if you got into an accident with injuries, you'd most likely involve your auto insurer.  the name of your insurer might appear on a police report, which the CC insurance company might see.  that might turn into a request for a copy of your auto-declaration page.  then you'd need to do some editing.  how good are your Photoshop skills?

(as an aside, I've got comp. coverage on my personal auto policy).  so I always use a CC with primary coverage.  that usually pisses off rentals clerks, since it defeats their "secondary coverage" scare tactic).

Skipping 23 Messages...
hawonpirate said:   
cestmoi123 said:   
RedWolfe01 said:   
doveroftke said:   
RedWolfe01 said:   
cestmoi123 said: You might end up with a very nasty surprise should you ever have to actually USE that damage waiver.

My last company had an ACTUAL CDW waiver -- not just corporate insurance so theirs would have worked for anyone, since the CDW comes in at $0 charge

I'm assuming if you got into a wreck and the rental company discovered you weren't eligible for that rate, the CDW coverage would be void.

You would probably be wrong, technically you paid for the CDW (even at $0) and it is in your contract.  Employer should not even come up during the claim process -- unlike trying to make another insurance carrier pay out for someone not on the policy.  Really Enterprise at that point has an incentive to make their underwriter pay for it anyway -- particularly if you listed it as a "personal" rental.  Heck, I wasn't even a direct employee, I worked for a third party who paid it and billed the client.  (Enterprise linked the client to my PLUS account, but I generally override that with USAA )  If I am looking at rates online it just has a note "CDW included." 

Chances are pretty good that you are a customer of that company.  

Enterprise self-insures, so if you're not paying for it, they're eating the cost.  The CDW is in your contract, but the opportunity to buy it for $0 is a function of the contract code you used.  Most rental forms with a contract code have a statement where you state that "you're entitled to the benefits of code XYZ."  If you're not entitled to those benefits (as defined in the contract between the company and Enterprise), Enterprise is perfectly justified in not honoring the CDW.  

it could be looked at like that.

or it could be looked at like this: Enterprise let renter use code for a free CDW, without checking his eligibility.   Once Enterprise let renter talk rental vehicle,  he was led to believe that he had a valid CDW.  therefore, Enterprise is responsible for damages to renter's rental vehicle.

It would be a REALLY tough case to make that Enterprise is responsible for not detecting that the customer is lying to them when he affirmatively states that he's entitled to use that code, even though he's not.  

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017