State Farm Turbo Tax deal is over?

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3403828-state-farm-to-discontinue-turbotax-discounts-to-its-customers 
State Farm to Discontinue TurboTax Discounts to its Customers

For many years, State Farm has offered TurboTax for free, or at a greatly reduced price, as a special benefit to their bank and mutual fund customers. State Farm insurance customers have also received special discounts. State Farm has made the decision to discontinue this program for Tax Year 2016.

If you used TurboTax through State Farm last year, check your email for a discount offer directly from TurboTax

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I was one of the first to leave a one-star review on Am@zon and the first to call for others on FWF to do the same. I go... (more)

BostonOne (Jan. 16, 2017 @ 8:34p) |

Some of the credit unions have discounted tax software

freebiez8 (Feb. 08, 2017 @ 12:50p) |

Kredit Karma doesn't support foreign tax credit or the options needed for Backdoor Roth IRA conversion. (The "taxable am... (more)

hpack (Feb. 08, 2017 @ 4:18p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Time to close that State farm account. It ceased to be free TT last year itself I think.

fwuser12 said:   Time to close that State farm account.

They are still useful for unlimited and hassle-free money order deposits from home, with no questions asked.  As long as the ink on the money order is dark enough.

irate_retro said:   
fwuser12 said:   Time to close that State farm account.
They are still useful for unlimited and hassle-free money order deposits from home, with no questions asked.  As long as the ink on the money order is dark enough.

Good to know. But not needed for me.

darn it just set up an account last year

Never worked for me, an insurance customer.

needhelpplease said:   darn it just set up an account last year

Me too.   

I'm hopeful that Credit Karma's tax filing service will be a decent alternative to TT: https://www.creditkarma.com/tax

my whole $100 checking account will cease to be useful there. SO where is the next best Turbo Tax discount now?

$100? I've only been keeping $5 in State Farm.

How will I replace the penny of interest a month? 43 cents so far....

LOL... I'm glad I'm not the only one with $100 wasting away at State Farm Bank. No TT == time to close account.

I had reduced mine to $1 on deposit., but may consider withdrawing it.

However, I bought the competing product, TaxCut, for 2016 in order to get the chance to apply 10% of the refund to an Amazon gift card.

ryangoldstein said:   I'm hopeful that Credit Karma's tax filing service will be a decent alternative to TT: https://www.creditkarma.com/tax
  Most forms seem to be supported.

https://help.creditkarma.com/hc/en-us/articles/217378726-Forms-s...

seawolf21 said:   
ryangoldstein said:   I'm hopeful that Credit Karma's tax filing service will be a decent alternative to TT: https://www.creditkarma.com/tax
  Most forms seem to be supported.

https://help.creditkarma.com/hc/en-us/articles/217378726-Forms-supported-by-Credit-Karma-Tax 

Looks like no schedule 1065 / K-1 though.

OperaMan said:    my whole $100 checking account will cease to be useful there. SO where is the next best Turbo Tax discount now?
  Many credit unions offer $15 or $20 off.  Anything better than that? http://www.lovemycreditunion.org/tax-services

I closed my state farm account because of this...

RIP. It was a good ride while it lasted these past few years.

DAAAAANG!!!

Time to take my $100 somewhere else where it's wanted!!!!

Any other place to get discounted TurboTax?

Ugggh. Been riding this train for quite a while. Good while it lasted. As others have posted, looking for the best deal available.

I think that this might be blamed more on Turbo Tax than on State Farm. Perhaps they raised their costs to the point where SF didn't feel they could support it. If you recall the debacle over the past couple of years where TT took certain forms out of their Deluxe product and moved them to their Premier product causing customers to pay more for the same forms they had the year prior. It was a big fiasco and I even ended up getting $25 back from TT for the trouble. But it's still that way this year and their Premier product costs something like $75. So maybe the cost was too rich for SF. I don't think TT was providing all those products out of the goodness of their midwestern, Protestant work ethic hearts.

Good while it lasted!

I didn't know until now SF was providing a discount for TT all this time. I have them for auto and homeowner's insurance .

EDIT to add:  Thanks for link on credit unions.  That I do have .

You had to have a State Farm bank account to receive the discount on TT.

I have not received an answer to this question yet. For 2016 for TurboTax, can you use Deluxe to file Form Schedule D (Capital Gains and Losses) on the Downloadable version? Someone said Deluxe does have Schedule D on their CD version.

TRex23 said:   If you recall the debacle over the past couple of years where TT took certain forms out of their Deluxe product and moved them to their Premier product causing customers to pay more for the same forms they had the year prior. ...But it's still that way this year and their Premier product costs something like $75. 

2 years ago they did this.  Last year they put them back.  Still there.  People keep spreading false information.

I bought Deluxe on CD this year (and last) and Schedule D is there just fine.

EradicateSpam said:   
TRex23 said:   If you recall the debacle over the past couple of years where TT took certain forms out of their Deluxe product and moved them to their Premier product causing customers to pay more for the same forms they had the year prior. ...But it's still that way this year and their Premier product costs something like $75. 

2 years ago they did this.  Last year they put them back.  Still there.  People keep spreading false information.

they actually put them back the very same year with a patch after all the 1 star reviews on Amazon.  Good times.

ZenNUTS said:   
EradicateSpam said:   

they actually put them back the very same year with a patch after all the 1 star reviews on Amazon.  Good times.

I was one of the first to leave a one-star review on Am@zon and the first to call for others on FWF to do the same. I got tons of red for suggesting it. Good times.

Some of the credit unions have discounted tax software

Kredit Karma doesn't support foreign tax credit or the options needed for Backdoor Roth IRA conversion. (The "taxable amount not determined" box is not an option they support).  Found this out the hard way after putting in most of my info.

TaxAct and FreeTaxUSA.com or lower priced alternatives to TurboTax

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017