Using a balance transfer for a ring purchase

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Hi, I am buying an engadgement ring. Instead of using the in store financing, I want to put it on a credit card that gets cash back. My question is, once I do this, my plan is to balance transfer it to Chase Slate.  If I do that, do I still earn the cash back?  I plan on paying off the ring within the 0% interest timeframe. Thanks

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I was busy on Tuesday setting some SJWs on fire at a MGTOW rally and then spent the entire day Wednesday wasting my size... (more)

DTASFAB (Dec. 23, 2016 @ 1:41p) |

OP is looking to buy a very expensive repro of the 1st remote ever built:

http://www.fanzo.org/forum/download/file.php?id... (more)

Mickie3 (Dec. 25, 2016 @ 11:41a) |

If you couldn't even spell it correctly, subliminally, you don't really want to buy it.

atikovi (Dec. 25, 2016 @ 12:08p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

philipcolett said:   Hi, I am buying an engadgement ring. Instead of using the in store financing, I want to put it on a credit card that gets cash back. My question is, once I do this, my plan is to balance transfer it to Chase Slate.  If I do that, do I still earn the cash back?  I plan on paying off the ring within the 0% interest timeframe. Thanks
  Cash back is usually earned based on the purchase and it shouldnt matter if you subsequently do a BT.
Dont get into the diamond industry marketing and overspend on the ring.

are you kidding me? you MUST spend 3 months salary on a ring. No I mean 6! Otherwise you are a disgusting cheap scumbag loser!

Jeeze, a BT for a ring? I mean, years ago I put my wife's engagement ring on a credit card, and probably paid a few months interest--but that was prior to my FWF/CB/SD days... going into debt for love--that's what it's all about.

If using store financing is a consideration you probably can't afford it.

To answer your question you will not get cashback on the slate for the balance transfer. If you use a different card to make the purchase you'll get the cash back on that card regardless of how the balance is paid.

Don't pay interest on a diamond

Depending on how much the ring is, you may want to consider spreading it across multiple new credit cards to get sign-up bonuses.

Haggle them down on price, they deserve it.

Dus10 said:   Haggle them down on price, they deserve it.

Shop online, buy in-store if they can match it.
There should be some archived threads about monopoly-stone buying in FWF if you really gotta have what De Beers wants you to buy.

philipcolett said:   I want to put it on a credit card that gets cash back.
Your purchase will earn the cash back.  How you pay it off doesn't matter.

/endthread

You shouldn't have mentioned what the purchase was.  You are going to get a lot of grief over buying a ring and an equal number of requests for pics of your girlfriend.  

dcwilbur said:   
philipcolett said:   I want to put it on a credit card that gets cash back.
Your purchase will earn the cash back.  How you pay it off doesn't matter.

/endthread

You shouldn't have mentioned what the purchase was.  You are going to get a lot of grief over buying a ring and an equal number of requests for pics of your girlfriend.  

Great reminder!

OP: pics of future fiancee?

I'm surprised that the thread has gone nearly a full page without someone suggesting your fiance isn't worth marrying if she won't settle for a paper clip bent in a circle for her engagement ring.

jerosen said:   I'm surprised that the thread has gone nearly a full page without someone suggesting your fiance isn't worth marrying if she won't settle for a paper clip bent in a circle for her engagement ring.
 seriously...where are DTASFAB and kriskos4? this is probably how Commissioner Gordon feels after signaling Batman and he doesnt show up.

OP - good luck! don't make it boring btw! put some thought into the proposal!

solarUS said:   
jerosen said:   I'm surprised that the thread has gone nearly a full page without someone suggesting your fiance isn't worth marrying if she won't settle for a paper clip bent in a circle for her engagement ring.
 seriously...where are DTASFAB and kriskos4? this is probably how Commissioner Gordon feels after signaling Batman and he doesnt show up.

waddya mean? I showed up

Two other things to consider that I did when buying a ring:

1.  What is the cash price?  The jeweler was only offering a 1% discount so I went with the credit card then paid off the balance in full.

2.  What are sales taxes like where you live?  I was able to have the jeweler ship the ring out of state to avoid paying $1k+ in sales tax.

Yes, I spent a lot on the ring.  Yes, I of course paid the sales tax to my state at a later date.

jaytrader said:   Jeeze, a BT for a ring? I mean, years ago I put my wife's engagement ring on a credit card, and probably paid a few months interest--but that was prior to my FWF/CB/SD days... going into debt for love--that's what it's all about.
  i'm still married to the same woman, so yes, I'm still paying interest on that ring!

Why does op have to finance $3.50? Because anything spent more than that was just giving free money to the jeweler. It's not going to give any value back to OP and his fiancee.

IF you plan on using SLATE which is a great BT card, but itself has no CB, the card use has to be issued by a card issuer OTHER THAN CHASE.
You cannot BT a Chase card with another Chase card.

forbin4040 said:   Why does op have to finance $3.50? Because anything spent more than that was just giving free money to the jeweler. It's not going to give any value back to OP and his fiancee.
  Single?

forbin4040 said:   It's not going to give any value back to OP and his fiancee.

It does give value to the fiancee.  Now she has something she can pawn/sell when she bails on him.

If you have to be suckered into shiny coal buy the stone from a reputable selller on eBay.  Spend a few hours learning what to buy and maybe get a setting locally for a few hundred.  I have found several diamonds/rings for about 1/3rd of what someone would have paid after a sale at a store.  You can use paypal on a credit card and get your rewards points or better almost killl all the required spending to get the signup bonus.  If you do it right and spend around 1k and find the right signup you can have this paid for.

diamond
Disclaimer
solarUS said:   

I was busy on Tuesday setting some SJWs on fire at a MGTOW rally and then spent the entire day Wednesday wasting my sizeable inheritance on H&B.

Actually I went to see my uncle in the hospital on Tuesday.  That was a brutal day and I was away from FW for a while.

OP is looking to buy a very expensive repro of the 1st remote ever built:

http://www.fanzo.org/forum/download/file.php?id=20792

philipcolett said:   Hi, I am buying an engadgement ring. 
  If you couldn't even spell it correctly, subliminally, you don't really want to buy it.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017