5% Back Simon Visa Gift Cards, works at CVS, Lowe's, Macy's, Staples and more.

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
This is a prepaid gift card that offers near instant 5% rebates back to the prepaid card.  Participating vendors include CVS, Lowe's, Staples and more listed at Simon.Com - click on link to Partipating Merchants.  You can purchase online in amounts up to $500/card.  Fee is $3.95 per card plus $0.49 for shipping.  One big negative is it is NOT rechargeable but you can buy it with another credit card.  It is not clear if it is coded as a cash advance or purchase.

Any one have experience with this one?  I found this looking to see why folks were buying $500 in this story here -- http://www.statesman.com/news/local/clerk-accused-stealing-money...

I am debating if it is worth the risk.  Thoughts?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

My thoughts are if you're going to do this... why not instead just buy the simon Amex's which are currently on promotion $104 for a $100 amex plus a $15 amex? That's ~10% off.  (I haven't decided to do it yet... a bit of a hassle and paying utilities, etc would eat up most of the savings.  I'd get $97.50 from $104 and have a $15 card left over.  I guess that still comes out to ~7% off.

Bend3r said:   My thoughts are if you're going to do this... why not instead just buy the simon Amex's which are currently on promotion $104 for a $100 amex plus a $15 amex? That's ~10% off.  (I haven't decided to do it yet... a bit of a hassle and paying utilities, etc would eat up most of the savings.  I'd get $97.50 from $104 and have a $15 card left over.  I guess that still comes out to ~7% off.
  True, but it is a bit of a hassle to go to the mall.  The 5% deal is online and not just B&M..  But it is limited to select stores.  Perhaps doing both makes sense.  Conflicted....

too much work!...unless MS

There is a thread on flyertalk all about this. Basically you get the 5 back card from simon, then use it to buy a vanilla visa from CVS, then turn that into a money order. Adds an extra step in the process but generates an extra $19 per card in profit.

prastogi2012 said:   too much work!...unless MS
  It depends. My local simon mall allowed my wife and I to purchase 10 amex gcs each. Though we have to sign 10 times each, it's kind of like making over $200 for driving 20 minutes drive back and forth. It's a pretty good deal in my opinion. But if the mall is too far away, you'll have to  decide by yourself.

daw4888 said:   There is a thread on flyertalk all about this. Basically you get the 5 back card from simon, then use it to buy a vanilla visa from CVS, then turn that into a money order. Adds an extra step in the process but generates an extra $19 per card in profit.
 YMMV. One of the CVS stores I went to only allowed cash for the VISA and MasterCard gcs. Money order is also YMMV. My local stores verify the name on the card before selling a money order.

haoniukun said:   One of the CVS stores I went to only allowed cash for the VISA and MasterCard gcs.I thought CVS had a very clear nationwide policy on this. Maybe you just got unlucky with a poorly trained employee?

I don't know if they're supposed to accept the Five Back GC as payment for cash-equivalent products, but they are certainly not cash-only.

scripta said:   
haoniukun said:   One of the CVS stores I went to only allowed cash for the VISA and MasterCard gcs.
I thought CVS had a very clear nationwide policy on this. Maybe you just got unlucky with a poorly trained employee?

I don't know if they're supposed to accept the Five Back GC as payment for cash-equivalent products, but they are certainly not cash-only.

Maybe it is specific to that store.
​Two different employees in the same store told me the same thing on different days.

Bend3r said:   why not instead just buy the simon Amex's which are currently on promotion $104 for a $100 amex plus a $15 amex?It is over.

xoneinax said:   
Bend3r said:   why not instead just buy the simon Amex's which are currently on promotion $104 for a $100 amex plus a $15 amex?
It is over.

http://image.e.simon.com/lib/fe641570746c057e711d/m/27/amexholiday_em.jpg

says 1/1/2017 on the email I have.  I haven't stopped by mall though

The original date was indeed 1/1/2017, but Simon ended the promotion early.

I have two GCM black $500 five back visa cards.

Can I buy visa gift cards with them at CVS and get the 5% back ?

smaycs4 said:   I have two GCM black $500 five back visa cards.

Can I buy visa gift cards with them at CVS and get the 5% back ?

Why not attempt it with one and report back? Worst case scenario you lose $4.95

I was told Amex pulled the promo as the nationwide allotment was reached early...

why not answer the question ?

Y  M  M  V

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017