• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Hey,
I live in a condo and the management office informed me via email that my neighbor accidentally drilled a hole that went through their wall and through my wall. I am out of town and can't see the damage, until next week. I don't know anything about repairs. The management office said the neighbor accepted blame and would like to work with me to fix it. What would you do? Allow neighbor to fix it / or allow neighbor to hire someone to fix it? Or find someone myself to fix it? The email did state the hole is a small one. I'm just worried if whoever fixes it and if they have to paint over the hole, it will be a different shade of white than the current paint. 

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
OP, did you ever check if there was a fire barrier that was penetrated?

You are worried about the wrong things.

If you hav... (more)

quaters (Jan. 07, 2017 @ 1:42p) |

make it a glory hole.

scottvm (Jan. 07, 2017 @ 2:54p) |

Really sloppy job! Unacceptable. I would drill a hole through the neighbor's wall and see how he likes the wall to be fi... (more)

wtfu (Jan. 07, 2017 @ 3:44p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Treat it like it was reversed or you can pull a WWJD?

rated:
If I drilled the hole ... I would be clueless on how to fix it. Probably ask the person to hire someone to fix it? Definitely, not out to claim exorbitant stuff. Just have no idea how a wall is fixed properly and if any paint is needed ... the different shade.

rated:
I wouldn't worry about it. Allow your neighbor to fix it. A small hole in the wall is actually a very simple problem to fix. If your neighbor does not fix it properly then you can ask them to fix it properly. A small hole in the wall won't be noticeable and really not a big deal even if they don't fix it perfectly. You can always hang a picture over it.

rated:
Put some spackle on it or some toothpaste if you don't have any. Not a big deal unless they drilled through your tv or something.

rated:
Hard to say without knowing how large it is. If small (<1/2"), then I would probably be fine with letting them fix it but also letting them know you want to inspect it prior to painting (much harder to fix drywall after paint is up).

As for the paint, do you have extra paint in that color? How long ago was that wall painted? Both will determine how hard it is to match the color.

rated:
Can you get a friend or the management office to send you a picture of the damage?

rated:
If it's just a regular wall, let the neighbor have a shot and figure it out. Make sure they know you want the paint matched perfectly. Should be a quick job if the hole is as small as you say. As long as the paint is in good shape and you have the code it will be easy to match up.

Alternatively, leave the hole in there and propose installing a peephole.

If your complex has a "party wall" used to control acoustics from traveling, that's a different ball game. The neighbor must have used one hell of a long nail to do damage that way and I'd want to get it fixed on my own.

rated:
Drill, baby, drill!

rated:
Insert a peephole.

rated:
How hot is she?

rated:
Thanks for the replies. They were all helpful. Not knowing anything about repairs, it seems now like not a major deal. I think the walls were last painted about 10 years ago so its kind beige/off white by now. Not going to ask management to send me a pic, because I don't want anybody going in my apartment if its not absolutely necessary. Regardless, I will be back on Dec. 30th. So thanks and I'll also update this thread then.

How hot is she?

Never met the person before, but with my luck ... probably as hot as your grandmother?

Hard to say without knowing how large it is. If small (<1/2"), then I would probably be fine with letting them fix it but also letting them know you want to inspect it prior to painting (much harder to fix drywall after paint is up).
As for the paint, do you have extra paint in that color? How long ago was that wall painted? Both will determine how hard it is to match the color.

If it's just a regular wall, let the neighbor have a shot and figure it out. Make sure they know you want the paint matched perfectly. Should be a quick job if the hole is as small as you say. As long as the paint is in good shape and you have the code it will be easy to match up.

I think I'll go the route the above 2 posters mentioned. I have no idea what the code is for the paint that was used before. I am just hoping the hole is small enough that I'll live with any slight color variation and I'll have to repaint it anyways in another 10 years or so.

rated:
kid66 said:   Thanks for the replies. They were all helpful. Not knowing anything about repairs, it seems now like not a major deal. I think the walls were last painted about 10 years ago so its kind beige/off white by now. Not going to ask management to send me a pic, because I don't want anybody going in my apartment if its not absolutely necessary. Regardless, I will be back on Dec. 30th. So thanks and I'll also update this thread then.

How hot is she?

Never met the person before, but with my luck ... probably as hot as your grandmother?

I think I'll go the route the above 2 posters mentioned. I have no idea what the code is for the paint that was used before. I am just hoping the hole is small enough that I'll live with any slight color variation and I'll have to repaint it anyways in another 10 years or so.

TEN YEARS!? You must have a really dirty condo.

rated:
Drywall holes from a drill should be 3/8 to 1/2 inch, tops. That can be easily patched with a small amount of spackle, like this one:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/DAP-Drydex-Spackling/3962331

Goes out with your finger or small putty knife if you must. If you have textured walls, finger would be easier as would leave irregular enough to easily blend in. I like this kind as it goes on pink and dries white, so you can see easily. If flat, use a putty knife or similar.

I would see if you or the condo office have the paint info (or paint can) somewhere, might've been standard color palette by the builder. If not, you can take a small sample, (think a dime size or so) to any hardware store who can match you a quart of it. Paint with a small roller or edging pad (not brush to avoid brush lines) after spackle is dry. Should be easy to blend unless it is a really bright (e.g. lime green) shade.

If you or your neighbor is Handy, should cost maybe $25-30 for spackle/paint/brush/putty knife. If they seem Handy, I'd let them do it if they're inclined. Otherwise a handyman can fix for materials + 1.5-2hrs of whatever they charge (about $20-25/hr here for a decent handyman).

Another option is for them to buy you a small piece of art or photo frame to place over hole. Problem solved.

rated:
OP, how well do you know your neighbor? If you want to maintain a decent relationship with him/her for the long run, just fix it yourself.

If it were me, I would take it as a learning opportunity. There are many tutorial on Youtube. It's really easy and fun (I think). If your neighbor has all the tools and materials, just borrow it. If he/she doesn't have anything, you may get it from Home Depot, make copy of the receipt, send it to your neighbor afterward.

Also, you can chip off a small piece of the wall (Use a flat head screw driver, try it on somewhere hidden, like inside the closet if they are the same color), and Home Depot will match the color.

You may ask for the smallest size paint (Sample size), it's about the size of a can food.

rated:
Look for a fairly expensive piece of art and have your neighbor pay for it. Then go to a hardware store to get the appropriate size hook to hang it on.

rated:
Am I the only one concerned about the quality of construction that results in a neighbor being able to drill through the walls so easily?  Is there no fire barrier, sound proofing, insulation, etc., that would have tipped the neighbor off to the fact that he was drilling a little too deep?

rated:
If the wall is just simple wallboard without fire and sound protection between units, the suggestions by the previous posters will work fine. But a condo hopefully has additional material between units, with the wallboard (drywall) forming the outer portion of the wall that you see.

If the internal wall is mortar or cinder block, that needs to be repaired before the superficial damage can be repaired. It may be required to make a bigger hole in your wallboard so that the internal wall can be accessed to construct a proper repair.

rated:
MonkeyingAround said:   Look for a fairly expensive piece of art and have your neighbor pay for it. Then go to a hardware store to get the appropriate size hook to hang it on.

But if the hook requires an anchor, be careful drilling the hole.

rated:
This thread is worthless without pics.......

rated:
The only problem with painting it is getting the right sheen. Was the paint flat, eggshell, satin, semigloss? You can usually take a small section and get it paint matched, typically cut out a section, get it paint matched and then putty over the hole and the section. A small hole you could probably just joint compound over, however you should let it dry and go over it again as deep amounts tend to shrink and you might get cracks if you just do it once. Then you sand it and paint it. Not really a simple one day job unless you get some quick setting 15 minute plaster.

rated:
How is this on Fatwallet?

The OP needs a life skills class instead of asking random people on the internet how to fix his extremely vague problem.

rated:
kid66 said:   Thanks for the replies. They were all helpful. Not knowing anything about repairs, it seems now like not a major deal. I think the walls were last painted about 10 years ago so its kind beige/off white by now. Not going to ask management to send me a pic, because I don't want anybody going in my apartment if its not absolutely necessary. Regardless, I will be back on Dec. 30th. So thanks and I'll also update this thread then.

How hot is she?

With a wall that thin, it seems you would know every detail of your neighbor's life.

rated:
Ah, the joys of congested living.

rated:
kid66, how about going to your neighbor and having good laugh about it? People need to stop making big deal out of small issues like this. Even my cat could fix something like this.

rated:
TEN YEARS!? You must have a really dirty condo.

Hmm .. I work for myself and about 10 months a year, I am overseas. So for the past 7 years, I have averaged about 2 months a year at my condo. So it's not dirty at all and looks pretty nice.

Drywall holes from a drill should be 3/8 to 1/2 inch, tops. That can be easily patched with a small amount of spackle, like this one:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/DAP-Drydex-Spackling/3962331

Thank you so much for this info. I copied this and will definitely follow this if for someone reason neighbor can't fix it.

How is this on Fatwallet?
The OP needs a life skills class instead of asking random people on the internet how to fix his extremely vague problem.

My bad. After lurking on here for a few years and learning about the utilities of Crown Victoria's and opening up 6 Netspend cards to get 5%interest then immediately closing it all because of nerfing ... and reading right of way for housing ... It just seemed kind of appropriate.

I do appreciate the feedback and it is very helpful. So thank you all.

rated:
What has the world come to? This deserves a thread? WTF? It's a damn hole, via a drill bit. Even a massive 1" bit is a super easy repair. Fix it and move on with life. Since you said you can't fix it yourself, hire a handyman to fix it and pay him $50 and ask the neighbor to reimburse you. If they don't reimburse you, take it to Judge Judy (don't forget to make a thread about it).

ETA: I could see how this would be a FWF venture if neighbor drilled hole through your pipes and thus your whole place got flooded or the wall came down. But for a simple hole with air on the other side of it? Nah.

rated:
I can see why OP may have created the thread.

1. Little information about actual damage
2. No knowledge of home repair
3. Financial protection by asking the hive mind of Fatwallet what to do and how to protect themselves.

Granted, a bit of googling could have netted some great information on fixing small drywall holes, sure but this isn't THAT bad of a thread. You have to admit you've seen much worse the past 6 months. This place used to be so fun and interesting...But we must PERSEVERE JAYTRADER.. DO YOU HEAR ME? WE ....MUST.

rated:
momoman said:   This thread is worthless without pics.......
 Really. It's 2016, everyone has a camera phone in their pocket connected to the internet at all times, and we still don't get pics in threads like this?

rated:
i3ighead said:   Treat it like it was reversed or you can pull a WWJD?

WWJD?  Wouldn't he just stretch out his hand and supernaturally heal the hole?

Chris.

rated:
cpaynter said:   
i3ighead said:   Treat it like it was reversed or you can pull a WWJD?

WWJD?  Wouldn't he just heal the hole?

Chris.

Or turn the water spewing out of the drilled-through pipes into wine and get smashed.

rated:
Are there really 30 FW posts about how to spackle a 1/2 hole in sheet rock???

rated:
DTASFAB said:   Are there really 30 FW posts about how to spackle a 1/2 hole in sheet rock???
  Don't assume things. It may be a 3/8 inch hole.

rated:
BrianGa said:   Insert a peephole.
  OK, now THAT'S funny

rated:
Only the little people have plain white sheetrock walls.  If you drilled through my walls you might damage my framed Picassos, my 70" wall mounted 4k TV, my custom Italian  mosaic tiled walls, my nahogany wainscoting  or my custom stone back splashes or my framed picture of me when I walked on the moon..

The OP doesn't know the extent of the damages yet.  We're all just guessing that it's a simple hole through sheetrock.  Sheetrock and a 2×4 are only about 4 to 4 1/4 inches thick.  Drill bits aren't that long.  The neighbor may have used an auger bit.  We don't know.  We're all just guessing.  We cant offer much help without knowing all the facts.

rated:
gnopgnip said:   Put some spackle on it or some toothpaste if you don't have any. 
  Remind me not to hire you for home repairs.

rated:
How long of a drill bit did they use that can drill through 2 walls? And what were they drilling for? This 24" one is for concrete: http://www.techtoolsupply.com/TruCut-3-8in-x-24in-Concrete-Bit-p... .

rated:
atikovi said:   
gnopgnip said:   Put some spackle on it or some toothpaste if you don't have any.
  Remind me not to hire you for home repairs.

Seriously. You can get a small tube of spackle for a few dollars. It's stupid to use anything else.

rated:
DTASFAB said:   Are there really 30 FW posts about how to spackle a 1/2 hole in sheet rock???

Where did you see that the wall only has sheet rock (brand wall board)?  OP says it is a condo and I would hope that a condo has a lot more separating units than just superficial wall board that you can see from a room....

Skipping 24 Messages...
rated:
Really sloppy job! Unacceptable. I would drill a hole through the neighbor's wall and see how he likes the wall to be fixed.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017