Productive ways to spend free time? Working a 9-5

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I'm in my early 30s and have a hefty student loan from recent grad school that I'm trying to pay off so this is a main focus. Outside of my 9-5 job, i've been looking into tutoring kids for some side income and launching a side e-commerce site. I've also applied to some hourly weekend jobs (part-time jobs that pay only around $11-13/hour but the schedule is flexible and any money helps). Outside of these, I'm taking some online courses through Coursera to upgrade career related skills and skills I can list on my resume.

I don't go out much where I live and put my dating life on hold until I move. Thoughts on these side income opportunities and how else I can be productive?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

​Uber. Pizza delivery. Sell all your superfluous crap on eBay and Craigslist.

megatard said:   ​Uber. Pizza delivery. Sell all your superfluous crap on eBay and Craigslist.

There's no Uber here or I would sign up. I applied this weekend for other part-time weekend jobs with more flexible scheduling rather than deliver pizza.

I would spend your extra time job hunting/networking to replace your 9-5 job since who knows...you might land a job that pays you substantially more. Never stop job hunting.

What was the point of grad school if it couldn't get you a high paying job in the first place?

Set your sights higher. Why work for $11 to $13 when you can work for $25 or $50? I'd put some serious THINK time into your plan before you schlep pizzas around.

Once you get hooked on $11 to $13 and working beyond 40 hours a week, our brains tend to get less imaginative, tend to get locked into just keeping on doing what we've been doing. Productive think time goes out the window.

In this case, ready, ready, ready, ready, aim, aim, aim, fire beats aim, fire.

atikovi said:   What was the point of grad school if it couldn't get you a high paying job in the first place?

I know, I screwed up. Looking for a new job as well and hope to jump into a higher paying job early next year.

What's your 9-5 job consist of, if you don't mind me asking. Creatively thinking about what you already know and can do can help give some options on what else you could easily start up or branch off into something new along the same lines.

With a grad degree you should consider looking into tutoring kids.  Here in SoCal there is a high demand for tudors from all the Tiger Moms here.  Many of the tutors I know charge $50-75/hr.  Check out this site to see what the tutor rates are:  link to Wyzant 

momoman said:   Here in SoCal there is a high demand for tudors from all the Tiger Moms here.  
  Primary focus it teaching the kids, servicing the moms might be a side benefit. 

How hefty is that student loan burden? Are we talking 350K or less. Did you get some fancy letters to put after your name? Some more info is needed.
Assuming that you are looking for high level work, I would look into (National)headhunters for your field of work. My Wife still receives calls from various agencies looking to staff hospitals across the US. In short, it may be time to move where the money is.

shyboi said:   How hefty is that student loan burden? Are we talking 350K or less. Did you get some fancy letters to put after your name? Some more info is needed.
Assuming that you are looking for high level work, I would look into (National)headhunters for your field of work. My Wife still receives calls from various agencies looking to staff hospitals across the US. In short, it may be time to move where the money is.

Roughly 100K remaining and no fancy letters. The ROI on this grad degree hasn't been good yet but I'm going to be moving to a better paying job in 2017. I have some free time right now especially during weekends so I posted ads for private tutoring and will be launching an e-commerce site today.

Pictures? Maybe something with a webcam.

megatard said:   Uber.
The problem with Uber is they require a car less than 10 years old.  If someone's in a position where part time at $11/hr is a good use of their time, I'm really not sure they need to be driving a >= 2007 model year car.  Because that sounds an awful lot like a monthly car payment.   Not to mention next year it'll be a year older and you have to buy a newer one again if you want to keep driving for Uber!  If the 9-5 employer requires a newish car for a sales job or something, well that's different, but even then I have some issues with that arrangement -- If he's so picky about the car, maybe he should provide one for business use.

I'm in agreement with debentureboy. Working a night job for low pay just sucks all the creativity/energy out of you, and you'll never have the time (or the motivation) to get something of your own off the ground.  In a previous life I was working my arse off, and all I wanted to do when I got home at night was useless TV watching and getting sleep.  If someone told me at the time I should start something on my own, I would have looked at them like they were nuts.  It just wasn't possible for me under the circumstances because getting to work on time and getting that lousy paycheck was what took up all my time.

And by something of one's own I don't mean a job like tutoring where you are just trading time for fixed money -- that's like one man digging a hole.  (Stop digging holes, stop getting paid.)  If it's just a side job you can think of something where it's possible to scale up over time to increase the money coming in without necessarily increasing the time being spent. 

A good cash buffer / emergency fund, plus spare time, plus maybe a wee bit of motivation and cleverness will equal nice profits after a time.  I think that $11/hr job will cost you 5x more than it makes you.

How about FWF activities like manufactured spend or reselling? With something on demand like Uber to fill in the gaps.

irate_retro said:   
megatard said:   Uber.
The problem with Uber is they require a car less than 10 years old.

In many cities, you can have a car that is a 2001 model year or newer.

Thanks, BostonOne. Dunno where I got my info from, but I know I haven't looked at the site in a couple years.

So I'm guessing next year the limit will be 2002, and so on? Or...? I'd be awfully upset if I found a killer deal on a presentable 2001 only to have to get rid of it in less than a year if I wanted to keep driving.

I would look into community college teaching positions. It looks good on a resume, the pay is not bad and you can learn something new too.

With all these ride-sharing co's you lose money over long term.

indebted said:   will be launching an e-commerce site today.
What is this, 1996? What the hell do you mean by an "e-commerce site"?  

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017