• Text Only
Voting History
rated:
A package was delivered to my address by mistake. It was addressed to someone else. I took a picture of the label and called Amazon. The woman I spoke to seemed uninterested. I asked her to have it picked up and gave her all the info. It was apparently delivered by Fedex.  Over a week went by and there was no pick up of this package. I called Amazon again and asked to speak to a manager. I explained the situation again and told her that I did not want to be responsible for this package or accused of stealing it. Also, that I have notified Amazon twice and didn't want someone to steal the package -- that was a concern.

I was shocked by the response I received. She told me that their security policies had changed and they would not pick up the package. She told me that I was free to throw it away because it was likely the customer already received a replacement. 

I didn't want to be accused of taking packages from people's houses so I didn't attempt to find the address and drop it off. Its hard to prove I was dropping off instead of taking packages. I also didn't want to take any responsibility for the package.  I just don't believe Amazon doesn't care about the expense.  The delivery service is apparently not accountable here even though there is a real cost to whatever is in that box and Amazon is choosing to incur that cost to follow the security policy. This is a loss for them and it didn't have to be.  I like Amazon and I do order from them. I'd like them to stay in business. I'm just not sure how they will stay in business when packages are thrown away.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Depends greatly on the country -- in Ireland much of the rural country hitches all over.  Its an informal ride-share in ... (more)

RedWolfe01 (Dec. 29, 2016 @ 8:49a) |

Wow, just wow.

I have packages wrongly delivered to my door once or twice a year. Usually just the house on the next blo... (more)

rascott (Dec. 29, 2016 @ 3:17p) |

giving them back is downright bizarre.  i always keep them.

dayivo (Dec. 29, 2016 @ 3:47p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I'm guessing they know the value of the product in the box and made their decision partially on that. I'm sure this isn't a normal occurrence for them so they're not taking a huge hit.

I'd personally open it up now that they've told you to throw it away, just to satisfy curiosity. It's like "Cast Away" at the end!

I seem to recall reading years ago that something that was sent you but that you didn't order, is yours to keep. That is pretty much what Amazon is saying here too. Now open it and let us know what's inside.

A few years back I received a broken ottoman and they sent me another, next one broken too, same thing third one also damaged and I said I didn't want to go thru the trouble of returning and wanted a refund, they sent me another. When I contacted them that I just wanted my money back they said to keep the last broken one and the new one being shipped and refunded my money. Pure madness but I was happy. Customer service has went down since then of u ask me.

Your paranoid fantasies about being accused of something here are bizarre. How far away is the correct address? Our house gets package mixups for one a couple of blocks away once or twice a year. I walk it over and drop it off when we get one for them. Not a big deal, I can't imagine taking your concerns seriously.

Even at this point, unless the delivery location is inconvenient for you, I'd take the package to the right people. If someone's getting a free/extra delivery, might as well be to the people who wanted at least one of the contents. I think someone else's Amazon order would have a high chance of having no value to me.

atikovi said:   I seem to recall reading years ago that something that was sent you but that you didn't order, is yours to keep. That is pretty much what Amazon is saying here too. Now open it and let us know what's inside.
  Only if delivered by USPS.  UPS and Fedex are outside of that rule.

I live on a cul-de-sac that shares its name w/ a longer main street. I sometimes get packages from folks on the main street. Once i had jewerly meant for me delivered to a house with a similar number on the main street. I rang their doorbell and asked if they happened to get an unexpected package from Kohl's. The guy said yes and handed it to me. Since even the post office is delivering packages with unmarked cars it is no big deal to be dropping off the package. You could also open it and donate it to the appropriate charity, Goodwill, Habitat for Humanity, a women's shelter, etc depending on what it is. Be good... as my dad would always say.

forbin4040 said:   
atikovi said:   I seem to recall reading years ago that something that was sent you but that you didn't order, is yours to keep. That is pretty much what Amazon is saying here too. Now open it and let us know what's inside.

You sure about that. This FTC bulletin doesn't differentiate. https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0181-unordered-merchandise

forbin4040 said:   

Also, isn't the intent of that law for things shipped to you, not mis-delivered to you?  If it doesn't have your name on it, it's not really shipped to you.  Otherwise people with "friends" working at the post office could just go deliver random crap to you and it's all free! profit!

forbin4040 said:   

That's not true.  But also completely irrelevant - OP wasn't sent something he didn't order, FedEx mis-delivered someone else's package.

I don't know why he keeps calling Amazon?  He should call FedEx - the delivery guy probably would've been back to get it that same day, these lost packages come out of their own pocket.  And some poor kid didn't get his Christmas present because OP decided to be a dick about it.

lonestarguy said:   I live on a cul-de-sac that shares its name w/ a longer main street. I sometimes get packages from folks on the main street. Once i had jewerly meant for me delivered to a house with a similar number on the main street. I rang their doorbell and asked if they happened to get an unexpected package from Kohl's.  The guy said yes and handed it to me. Since even the post office is delivering packages with unmarked cars it is no big deal to be dropping off the package. You could also open it and donate it to the appropriate charity, Goodwill, Habitat for Humanity, a women's shelter, etc depending on what it is. Be good... as my dad would always say.
  good suggestion. i opened the box and its wind chimes. i will donate it to a local non profit.  Thank you!

FYI
1) The package was delivered by FedEx and Amazon was the retailer that shipped it. 
2)  I see videos of thieves stealing packages off the front porch of someone's house every night on the 10 o'clock news. I'm not going to risk it. You can call me paranoid if that makes you feel better. Times are different now.

Rather than posting a thread here, why didn't you just hand it back over to the carrier that delivered it with a note on it that says it was misdelivered? It will eventually get to the right place. I'm assuming it doesn't weigh 500 lbs.

xit said:   
lonestarguy said:   I live on a cul-de-sac that shares its name w/ a longer main street. I sometimes get packages from folks on the main street. Once i had jewerly meant for me delivered to a house with a similar number on the main street. I rang their doorbell and asked if they happened to get an unexpected package from Kohl's.  The guy said yes and handed it to me. Since even the post office is delivering packages with unmarked cars it is no big deal to be dropping off the package. You could also open it and donate it to the appropriate charity, Goodwill, Habitat for Humanity, a women's shelter, etc depending on what it is. Be good... as my dad would always say.
  good suggestion. i opened the box and its wind chimes. i will donate it to a local non profit.  Thank you!

FYI
1) The package was delivered by FedEx and Amazon was the retailer that shipped it. 
2)  I see videos of thieves stealing packages off the front porch of someone's house every night on the 10 o'clock news. I'm not going to risk it. You can call me paranoid if that makes you feel better. Times are different now.

Really?  You don't see a difference between a video showing you walk up to a house with a package and leaving empty-handed, and a video showing someone walk up to a house empty-handed and leaving with a package?  You're more likely to get in trouble for possessing stolen package now, than for taking it upon yourself to fix a delivery error.  Or simply call FedEx, since they're the one who made the error and is responsible for fixing it.

xit said:   ...

Thats nothing like your situation.

You didn't steal anything.   The cops aren't going to randomly show up at your house and haul you off.     For one, even if someone did unrightfully accuse you of theft, how would anyone know the package was delivered to you?   Amazon isn't going to turn you in, they obviously don't care.

As a retired letter carrier, I saw this quite a bit. If we made the delivery mistake (back in the day since I knew all my customers), I would either deliver it to the correct address or bring it back to the office for re delivery. But, which was usually the case, if FedEx (who usually made the delivery error) or UPS made the error, I would tell the customer to call them. It is the delivery company's error, not the sender, as long as it was properly addressed. I've been retired now for over 5 years but I've heard that letter carriers now have been instructed to leave Amazon parcels at the door even if no one was home to accept it and that Amazon would cover any theft that might occur.  

Being accused of stealing a package when you arrive with package in hand to the correct address, ring their doorbell, and hand it to them? That makes no sense to me. If you want to be nice, do the right thing, bring it to the right address. What would you want to happen if the roles were reversed?

If you want to waste a bunch of time and not be nice, then keep it, throw it away, call Amazon/FedEx to complain, or hide it under a mass of tinfoil in case it's really a tracking beacon sent to spy on you.

AlwaysWrite said:   Being accused of stealing a package when you arrive with package in hand to the correct address, ring their doorbell, and hand it to them? That makes no sense to me. If you want to be nice, do the right thing, bring it to the right address. What would you want to happen if the roles were reversed?

If you want to waste a bunch of time and not be nice, then keep it, throw it away, call Amazon /FedEx to complain, or hide it under a mass of tinfoil in case it's really a tracking beacon sent to spy on you.

But that requires basic common decency.  Apparently that's not so common anymore. 

If it's small enough, drop it in the nearest mailbox.

xit said:     I just don't believe Amazon doesn't care about the expense.  The delivery service is apparently not accountable here even though there is a real cost to whatever is in that box and Amazon is choosing to incur that cost to follow the security policy. This is a loss for them and it didn't have to be.  I like Amazon and I do order from them. I'd like them to stay in business. I'm just not sure how they will stay in business when packages are thrown away.
Think again.  Amazon replaces millions of dollars worth of merchandise each year.    They also self-insure.  The common carrier does not pay for lost or damaged merchandise in exchange for a hefty shipping discount.

Calm down.  There is no investigation, no special ops team searching for the package, etc.   Amazon would have simply mailed the customer a new package the day after they didn't receive it and closed the case.  If there is a lot of problems in a particular area a report does go to the carrier so they can try to find any problems internally (driver stealing packages, etc).
It would cost them more money in the long run to research these things.  Both in actual expenses and customer satisfaction.

Edit: If you are concerned about saving them money, stop contacting anyone about it.  You are wasting labor time and expenses.  At this point you can either do as instructed and keep, donate, or throw away ("dispose" is basically do whatever you want not necessarily throw it away), or make an effort yourself to get it to the original purchaser who will probably by then have already gotten the replacement which gets shipped overnight, now giving them an extra item (if they call Amazon they will be told to keep it as well). 

If USPS, just mark refuse return to sender and give it to your carrier or drop at post office.

If FedEx or UPS, call them and say you are refusing it. They will send someone to pick it up.

If you have any uncaged pets, make sure they're secure in another location before any SWAT team storms your house and kills everything that moves.

Did you not contact FedEx about their delivery mistake? You could have given the package back to FedEx.

Otherwise, you've alerted the retailer several times and have been told by them to forget about it and to keep it, so just keep it (or give it away).

Don't try to directly interact with the intended recipient, unless you are neighbors and know them anyway.

Agree that the OP is worrying about nothing.

A while ago my doorbell rang. The UPS guy left a package at the door and drove off. I look at the box and see it's for another address. I leave it in my kitchen thinking I'll just deal with it later. Less than 10 minutes later the UPS guy is ringing my doorbell. He realizes he delivered it to the wrong address. I gave it back to him.

In this instance, what would happen if I decided not to answer the door and I just kept the package? I'm thinking UPS couldn't do a thing, even if the box had $100,000 in it.

Why is this so hard? Take it over to the correct house and drop it off. If it's a hot chick living there, that's just a bonus. However if you have already opened the package and it contains an adult novelty, you may have to be somewhat diplomatic with her.

burgerwars said:   A while ago my doorbell rang. The UPS guy left a package at the door and drove off. I look at the box and see it's for another address. I leave it in my kitchen thinking I'll just deal with it later. Less than 10 minutes later the UPS guy is ringing my doorbell. He realizes he delivered it to the wrong address. I gave it back to him.

In this instance, what would happen if I decided not to answer the door and I just kept the package? I'm thinking UPS couldn't do a thing, even if the box had $100,000 in it.

What if it was a box of illegal drugs that a SWAT team was using to entrap an unsuspecting homeowner who happened to be the local town mayor?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berwyn_Heights,_Maryland_mayor%27s...
irate_retro said:   Why is this so hard? Take it over to the correct house and drop it off. If it's a hot chick living there, that's just a bonus. However if you have already opened the package and it contains an adult novelty, you may have to be somewhat diplomatic with her.
  Actually that sounds like an invitation to ask her who she was planning on using it with.

Wind chimes?

i am also interested in the item included in the package.

Maybe, the item in the package is not so important. Otherwise, the buyer and seller will both track it.

it's not a nice idea to just left the package to the intended recipient. It's the seller and the Fedex's fault, they should shoulder their responsibility. It's not your duty to send the package. If the recipient is really a nice person, they may thanks you for your kindness. But they may also worry about the safety of their personal information. There are a lot of such kind of problem.

DTASFAB said:   If you have any uncaged pets, make sure they're secure in another location before any SWAT team storms your house and kills everything that moves.
  horrible SWAT team

Just keep the 12-pack of butt plugs. You know you want to.

bc3000 said:   A few years back I received a broken ottoman and they sent me another, next one broken too, same thing third one also damaged and I said I didn't want to go thru the trouble of returning and wanted a refund, they sent me another. When I contacted them that I just wanted my money back they said to keep the last broken one and the new one being shipped and refunded my money. Pure madness but I was happy. Customer service has went down since then of u ask me.
  strange seller, i can not understand why they keep sending you the broken item. if they found the item was broken during the delivery, why they do not add some protection material to protect the package. 

maxrepunzal said:   But they may also worry about the safety of their personal information.

You mean like their address which is printed right on the front of their house for all to see?  Or the homeowner's name which is freely available on the county assessor's site?  Even if there was something sensitive printed on the box, the damage has already been done.  OP delivering the package or not doesn't change that.

I was in a similar situation not too long ago, and went to the intended address with package in hand.  (It was on the way to UPS so not out of the way.)  I didn't see anyone home, and the swingset in the yard told me I probably wasn't going to be invited in for drinks and a quickie.  (That, or the chick was a nutcase who plays on swingsets and was probably one I needed to avoid anyway.)  Rather than leaving the package on the doorstep I decided to drop it off at UPS only so the barcode would be scanned again.  This way there would be proof of the misdelivery and possibly the buyer could get their shipping costs refunded by Amazon.  Of course nothing was stopping UPS from just quietly delivering it without scanning it, but that didn't seem likely to me.  Driver would probably hit it just out of habit.

Jewelry from Kohl's?  OMG.

DTASFAB said:   
burgerwars said:   A while ago my doorbell rang. The UPS guy left a package at the door and drove off. I look at the box and see it's for another address. I leave it in my kitchen thinking I'll just deal with it later. Less than 10 minutes later the UPS guy is ringing my doorbell. He realizes he delivered it to the wrong address. I gave it back to him.

What if it was a box of illegal drugs that a SWAT team was using to entrap an unsuspecting homeowner who happened to be the local town mayor?

Then SWAT will be disappointed when the package is marked as delivered so they raid the mayor's house and find nothing. When FedEx mis-delivered a package, they have no record of where it was actually delivered.

Glitch99 said:   Then SWAT will be disappointed when the package is marked as delivered so they raid the mayor's house and find nothing. When FedEx mis-delivered a package, they have no record of where it was actually delivered.

I would tend to agree, however:  It would not surprise me in the least if they did have a record of where (with GPS accuracy) the driver's tablet was when he flagged the package as delivered.  And certainly they know where the truck is at all times... why not just match up the timestamps.  So unless the OP lives right next door to the mayor, it might not be as far-fetched as it sounds.

P.S.  Why do these delivery guys always run around in the snow with shorts on?  If I was freezing my **** off, I'd misdeliver packages too.

Wait, Amazon took a loss on wind chimes?? Someone start a GoFundMe page to keep Amazon in business!

A few months ago I ordered a battery charger (automotive) and it never arrived. Amazon opened an inquiry with the shipper and 24 hours later refunded it.

I ordered a replacement for next day -- since my vehicle was down the 2 extra days were actually a pain. (I did have a motorcycle though)

otaymiester said:   

Jewelry from Kohl's?  OMG.

Sure.  Actually, Kohl's sells some very high quality jewelry, and it can be at great prices, especially when it's 70% off and you have a 30% coupon and an extra $10 off of jewelry purchase and you're getting Kohl's cash, etc.

Now, Kohl's sells a lot of crap jewelry, too.  But select pieces behind the jewelry counter are as high quality as what you'd find in a fine jewelry store.

Chris.

Skipping 24 Messages...
rascott said:   
oppidum said:   
cpaynter said:   
oppidum said:   Did you not contact FedEx about their delivery mistake? You could have given the package back to FedEx.
Otherwise, you've alerted the retailer several times and have been told by them to forget about it and to keep it, so just keep it (or give it away).
Don't try to directly interact with the intended recipient, unless you are neighbors and know them anyway.

This is perhaps the saddest sentence on this thread. 

Either you are extremely paranoid, or you've had some very bad experiences with people, but either way, I'm sorry.

...personally, I would see this (and have used similar situations) as a golden opportunity to meet someone I didn't already know.  

...If they engage, then maybe you have a new friend.  If not, you walk away.

Good Lord, what is our civilization coming to?

Chris. 

You have misunderstood what I was saying.  And you have misjudged me... calling it a "sad" sentence, saying I must be paranoid or damaged, etc.  That's just out of bounds.

It is not the place of a private individual to deliver mis-delivered packages, when the sender and the shipping company have both been notified already and they have both determined that the original package will be left with (and given to, for free) the incorrect recipient.

In fact, it's kind of stalky --
I do not want a stranger to come ring my doorbell, try to talk to me in person, and say they have a package for me. 

How can anyone know if that person is telling the truth, if the package is not somehow a fake?

You do not have to live in a major urban area or a warzone to be the intended victim of untrustworthy people.

This is not the way to try to make "a new friend". 

So if you have properly notified the correct organizations:  the retailer who shipped the item and the shipping company that delivered it,
unless you live in a place akin to Mayberry RFD, or unless you coincidentally happen to know the intended recipient,
do not go around personally delivering packages to strangers' houses
(and trying to make a friend in the process).

Indeed, if you want a sad commentary on "civilization" and on boorish behavior, look at all the prior comments on this thread by men who have said that they'd try to deliver the package to the correct recepient in order to see if they could have an intimate encounter with a female at the address.  But no one said anything about that kind of talk, because that's not "sad", apparently, it's just a normal conversation topic (at least on this website).  I guess the president calls it 'locker room talk', but this is not a locker room, it's a parcel-delivery thread on a public website that is visited by all ages and all types of people.

---
tennis8363 said:   Yes, this is very sad.

We live in a neighborhood with 200+ houses all at the same address (only variance is the unit numbers). As you can imagine, mail and package delivery is screwed up ALL of the time. I find myself at least 1-2 times per month walking packages over to a neighbor's house or someone else in the subdivision.

Not once has it even crossed my mind to do anything differently. It is their package, not mine.

Most people in the US do not live in a cozy, safe, friendly subdivision where there is a good reason for packages to be mis-delivered frequently and it's a quick jaunt to take them to their intended destination.  That's great for you, but you can't extrapolate to all other situations.

And I was obviously not saying that the package had not originally been intended for, and had not originally been meant to become the property of, the intended recipient. 

But after having the retailer tell you several times to keep the package, and after (ideally) notifiying the shipping company that they had made a mistake and offering that they can come and pick it up but learning that they don't want to,
then the incorrect recipient should follow instructions and keep the package, and not get involved in tracking down and travelling to the house of a complete stranger to try to speak to them in person in order to hand the package over.

Wow, just wow.

I have packages wrongly delivered to my door once or twice a year. Usually just the house on the next block or two over. I toss it in my car and drop it at their doorstep the next morning when leaving for work. I don't see a need to knock on their door.

To do anything else is downright bizarre.

giving them back is downright bizarre.  i always keep them.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017