Dental work/ Veneers advice.

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Hello all,

I am currently on invisalign and am about done. When the treatment was started we had the plan of supplementing the invisalign treatment with veneers and placing two veneers on my lateral incisors (the teeth next to my two front teeth). I will also be replacing crowns on my two front teeth when I get the veneers put on.

This is obviously all not cheap. I searched groupon and found a really great deal which was two veneers for $1,200. I am considering doing the two veneers for $1,200 using the groupon (this groupon dentist has some good reviews and some bad so Im not sure how great their quality is) then having my primary dentist do my two crowns on my front teeth. My concern with this is that since it will be done at two different dentists that the teeth may not match exactly since the dentists will likely use different companies for thir porcelain veneers. The pro to doing it this was is about a $1,300 saving. The con is that the quality may not be as food as if it would have been if I got it all done at my primary dentist. I would hate if after all the time and money invested into this that I'm not happy with the result.

Any thoughts on if it would be worth it to get all the work done at my primary dentist or if the groupon route is a good option?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
or you can get them all done via groupons and look like a jack-o-lantern.   

Mickie3 (Dec. 28, 2016 @ 10:48a) |

Get it done in Costa Rica. Quality work at 1/3the price. It is a very popular destination for such procedures.

bopc1996 (Dec. 28, 2016 @ 1:03p) |

dental work is the last place i would skimp on price. have it done cheaply now and you'll have to have it done again in... (more)

MDfive21 (Dec. 29, 2016 @ 7:51a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

When I think of quality dental work, the word "Groupon" does not come to mind.

TeaHee said:   Hello all,

I am currently on invisalign and am about done. When the treatment was started we had the plan of supplementing the invisalign treatment with veneers and placing two veneers on my lateral incisors (the teeth next to my two front teeth). I will also be replacing crowns on my two front teeth when I get the veneers put on.

This is obviously all not cheap. I searched groupon and found a really great deal which was two veneers for $1,200. I am considering doing the two veneers for $1,200 using the groupon (this groupon dentist has some good reviews and some bad so Im not sure how great their quality is) then having my primary dentist do my two crowns on my front teeth. My concern with this is that since it will be done at two different dentists that the teeth may not match exactly since the dentists will likely use different companies for thir porcelain veneers. The pro to doing it this was is about a $1,300 saving. The con is that the quality may not be as food as if it would have been if I got it all done at my primary dentist. I would hate if after all the time and money invested into this that I'm not happy with the result.

Any thoughts on if it would be worth it to get all the work done at my primary dentist or if the groupon route is a good option?

what kind of bad reviews?  they could be from fussy, never-satisfied types.

that said, why not contact dentists with stellar reviews/great credentials and ask for a package deal (two crowns and two veneers)?  might be smarter to go with a master and save $500/$600, instead of "saving" $1.3k and looking like a freak show.

Don't do it unless it's absolutely necessary. More importantly, educate yourself about veneers. They last a while, but not permanent. They will be removing part of tooth (about 1 mm), and there are possible complications.

My first thought is to ask your primary dentist to meet you in the middle if you still want to have it done.  I need a bunch of work in the next 10 years or so - which will probably be the last for the rest of my life.  (unless they drastically increase human life expectancy)   I am hoping that implants either come down in price or are covered by more plans in the future because they are (IMO) a healthier option than cutting into healthy teeth to plant bridges.  I have a pair of teeth that were steel capped back when that was common and that leaves fairly poor remains 30+ years later when they are removed.  Makes for a very long bridge if they cannot anchor a crown...

May have to start on mine this year, at least I have the option of a decent dental plan even if the medical sucks.

The Groupon deal is generally a loss type leader to get you in the door and up sell you other dental treatments. If you want to go that route, I would call the dental office first and get the low down on any exceptional circumstances that can disqualify you or cause you to incur additional costs over the Groupon price.

That said, myself, I would get it done at one dentist. You're probably at least 10k into all of this work. Getting it all from one guy means if anything doesn't look right or isn't up to par, you have only one person at which to point a finger. Saving 13% doesn't seem worthwhile for potential hassles.

I used the service of Denture smile center here in Calgary, They are very good at service and offer an affordable price. I think you don't need to go with any coupons for them. 
 My wife is having a porcelain veneers and If you are interested I recommend you to go with porcelain veneers they last long and will not fade color. 

Our family doctor's advices for veneered tooth is that they also need to be brushed and flossed daily and we need to avoid hard-shelled nuts.

I've not personally done this but I understand you can get good dental work performed in Mexico. On something like veneers I don't see how you could go wrong, and get the sunny vaycay to boot.

Veneers which are not perfectly fixed may lead to cavity and will left the cavity unnoticed for years.

Error

woowoo2 said:   When I think of quality dental work, the word "Groupon" does not come to mind.

Yeah I totally get what you mean but I had to give groupon a shot. Espcially since no one had any good yelp reviews on craigslist... Up side with craigslist is that there were no bad reviews either.

If I have the money. I don't go cheap (low quality or risk thereof) on dental or shoes.

Recently had a root canal & crown on a rear tooth. Went to get the crown & it was "porcelain". Was humble while I said I ordered a gold crown. Dentist is & was nice. Ordered & got it put in. No extra charge.But dentist said why do you want a gold crown instead of porcelain? Told him gold crowns last 15-30yrs or more & porcelain crowns last 5-15yrs. Nearby assistant said, "really?" & dentist said he's right.

TeaHee said:   
woowoo2 said:   When I think of quality dental work, the word "Groupon" does not come to mind.

Yeah I totally get what you mean but I had to give groupon a shot. Espcially since no one had any good yelp reviews on craigslist... Up side with craigslist is that there were no bad reviews either.

wait, dentists advertise on craigslist??

nooch said:   TeaHee said:   

wait, dentists advertise on craigslist??

Sorry, forgot to put a sarcasm note

Your all four teeth need to match.. doing all four crown at one place will have a matching teeth. Also, veneers are like tiles that goes on your floor vs crowns have more retention compared to veneers. Veneers have more odds of coming out. Veneers are more technique sensitive. Done right can last for many years.

Get all veneers.  Some twenty plus years ago I read about veneers for the first time and decided that I wanted my busted front tooth filled in with veneer instead of a cap.  My dentist told me that he would only cap my front tooth and veneer was not appropriate.  Earlier that year my father's cap on his front tooth came off while eating corn on the cob.  His cap was dangling by the metal hook the dentist used to secure the cap.  I was determined to try using veneer to replace more than half of my front tooth.  I did not want the dentist to drill and further reduce what was left of my tooth.  I then called the professor in the article (professor @ University of Michigan) and asked for names of some of his students near me.  I then went back to my dentist with the list of names and asked which he would recommend.  At that point my dentist relented and said that he would fill in my front tooth with veneer.  That was twenty plus years ago and I have never had a problem.

kingroot said:   Our family doctor's advices for veneered tooth is that they also need to be brushed and flossed daily and we need to avoid hard-shelled nuts.
  "they also need to be brushed and flossed daily" - lol  

OP, if you are willing to go abroad, have a vacation planned, have family members or friends from low income countries etc the same job you pay here 10k will be 2K in Poland, Czech Republic, Mexico, Costa Rica, India etc. There is nothing super special about veneers. Google "dental tourism". Many foreign dentists are US graduates and hold accreditation from the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry. http://www.aacd.com/index.php?module=aacd.websiteforms&cmd=memberreferral   Costa Rica has 7 listed for example. With 6k to spend I'd take a nice trip to San Jose or to Prague.
More than 500,000 Americans traveled out of the country for dental care in 2013, according to the medical tourism group Patients Beyond Borders. http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/features/dental-tourism 

Is simple bonding an option? Or is the job too big for that?

If you can at all afford it, do it all with one dentist.

Do you have dental insurance? I know the mantra is "no coverage for cosmetic procedures", but I've been surprised at what my dental insurance has covered. Have your dentist submit a good preapproval request.

utsavdesai said:   Your all four teeth need to match.. doing all four crown at one place will have a matching teeth. Also, veneers are like tiles that goes on your floor vs crowns have more retention compared to veneers. Veneers have more odds of coming out. Veneers are more technique sensitive. Done right can last for many years.

or you can get them all done via groupons and look like a jack-o-lantern.   

Get it done in Costa Rica. Quality work at 1/3the price. It is a very popular destination for such procedures.

dental work is the last place i would skimp on price. have it done cheaply now and you'll have to have it done again in 10 years or less. pay up now and it may last your lifetime if you take care of yourself. my wife works for a dentist and she's seen all sorts of horror shows where people come in to have shoddy work fixed.

find a dentist in a nice part of town who is not in network with any insurance and you'll know you're in the right place.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017