Do I need to sign a note to a Signature Medallion Guarantee Stamp form?

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I am sending a bank a completed Signature Medallion Guarantee Stamp form that includes wiring instructions. I need to add a note to this form to explain a few things. Should I sign and date this note or signing/dating this additional note is not required?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Maybe?

OP: Have you talked to the bank? When I have done this, everything had to be notarized. YMMV

You're sending it to them?

Don't you have to sign in person in their presence? I thought that was the whole point that they'd witness the signature to authenticate it as not a forgery. Mailing the form seems to defeat the whole purpose.

jerosen said:   You're sending it to them?

Don't you have to sign in person in their presence? I thought that was the whole point that they'd witness the signature to authenticate it as not a forgery. Mailing the form seems to defeat the whole purpose.

It works similar to notarizing documents. You sign it at a bank (for example, thats where i got one anyway), in person. They stamp it guaranteeing you signed it and accepting some (?) liability if there is fraud. Then you mail it to the broker. The stamp has an ID#/transaction number on it.

The guarantee can be (is usually? ) from a different party than where the documents are sent.

OK so I reread the OP and he said its a "completed" signature guarantee form. So I'm taking it that the form has already been signed and stamped with the medallion guarantee. Now OP wants to add something to the form?

jerosen said:   OK so I reread the OP and he said its a "completed" signature guarantee form. So I'm taking it that the form has already been signed and stamped with the medallion guarantee. Now OP wants to add something to the form?
  I am not adding or changing anything in the stamped form. I am explaining or adding some notes like why I am not attaching a voided check because wire routing number in the form is not the same as the routing number on the check (which is for ACH only). The form says attach a voided check and I try to avoid confusion by explaining this. Information on my check is only good for ACH transfers but won't work for wires. Attaching a voided check makes sense only if ACH and wire routing numbers are the same (and there is no For Further Credit other than the account number).

You'll probably need to call the bank to ask them. What they want done may depend on their policy.

So the form already has space for wiring instructions and that is filled out, it sounds like? If they want a voided check so badly, I'd give them a voided check. And I'd make sure the entire MICR line was totally obliterated with a big black marker. Malicious compliance and all that.

Bend3r said:   They stamp it guaranteeing you signed it and accepting some (?) liability if there is fraud.

I know that Citi won't signature medallion guarantee stamp if the amount is over $1MM.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017