• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I expect to be laid off around middle of the year (2017). I still want to contribute the yearly maximum ($18k) to my Roth 401k. My issue is my company does a "true-up" in the first quarter of the following year to bring the company match up to what it should have been for the previous year. According to the fine print of the plan the "true-up" kicks in when:

• You contribute at a rate above your formula’s maximum contribution percentage and reach the IRS’ annual contribution limit ($18,000 for 2016)

The issue is I have to be an active employee on the last day of the year to receive the "true-up". Per the fine print:

• To qualify for the true-up, you must: Be an active employee of the Company (or one of its affiliates) on the last day of the year (or during that year have died, become disabled or retired on or after the first day of the month on or after your 65th birthday)

So my question is how can I work this where I can still put in the $18k into the Roth 401k for 2017 but still get the full company match? Simply putting in the maximum match percentage (7%) will not get me to the $18k. Can I open up some type of personal Roth 401k? Note that I do not have any self employment income. Also, I already do the $5500 Roth IRA each year. Any other options? Thanks.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

The fine print says that unless you become disabled or turn 65 and retire before you get laid off, you're not getting the true up. Assuming you get laid off June 30, just contribute $3k/mo and get half of the annual match. You could max contribution and match precisely if you know your last day in advance.

You can't open a solo 401k without self-employment income.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017