Pet Resorts claims they're not responsible for infection on my dog

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Long story short, I had my dog stay at a fancy Pet Resort during the holidays for the last week. Picked him up and immediately notice a big infection on his "junk" when I got home. When I spoke with the manager, she denied any responsibility nor will offer any complimentary exam at the attached Vet. This vet has 24/7 care and I paid extra for 1v1 care with an employee so if there were any issues, they would call me. Never received a call

I'm taking my dog to his normal vet here shortly. What do you think is an appropriate action if the resort continues to deny any assistance?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
i took my dog to the groomers to get groomed. He got kennel cough. A trip to the vet plus antibiotics, $100+. Who do ya... (more)

scottvm (Dec. 30, 2016 @ 7:53a) |

dispute charge on your credit card: Services not rendered as advertised.

haloseven (Dec. 31, 2016 @ 3:42p) |

The dog would disagree.

atikovi (Dec. 31, 2016 @ 3:48p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

What did the agreement, that you signed, say? Seems like the agreement governs

Well, at least you know the dog had a hellva good time.

ellory said:   What did the agreement, that you signed, say? Seems like the agreement governs

I've stayed there before but during this visit I didn't sign anything.

Are they responsible? If I take my kid to daycare and they get sick, is daycare responsible?

I think appropriate action is to not go to that boarding facility any longer and post an appropriate review on yelp.

OmarLittle666 said:   ellory said:   What did the agreement, that you signed, say? Seems like the agreement governs

I've stayed there before but during this visit I didn't sign anything.

Are you sure about it. At least for my pet resort, they make me choose what type of care to give if something happens, and emergency contact, etc.

Even if something happened there, that doesn't mean that they would have provided free care if they took care of him.

ZenNUTS said:   Well, at least you know the dog had a hellva good time.
Hopefully OP does not get served with puppy support papers.

vegas4x4 said:   Are they responsible? If I take my kid to daycare and they get sick, is daycare responsible?

I think appropriate action is to not go to that boarding facility any longer and post an appropriate review on yelp.

I would agree with you normally, but there's a huge difference between an simple illness compared to an infection the size of a ping pong ball that's inflamed.

Your dog "could" have had an infection developing before you left him there, not saying he did but he "could've". Whenever you leave your pet at a pet sitting or boarding location, you do take a chance that the animal might catch something from the other animals there. It doesn't mean they are negligent really, you can't expect them to give some sort of full medical workup of every animal that stays there. At our boarding location they do require up to date shots before they will accept the animal but beyond that, I think you are overreacting and just need to get your dog the care it needs.

Previous discussion of a similar situation: https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1521985

Vet says its an infection. It was $60 for an exam and antibiotics. I'm going down there to get his stuff and talking to the manager again about reimbursement.

It sounds like the issue is that OP paid for a boarding plan that should have included veterinary care. Even if OP would need to pay for additional treatment the facility should probably have caught something like this. While it is possible, it seems unlikely that OP immediately saw large infection while facility didn't the night before.

As I would expect, the facility is probably not actually doing what they say in terms of giving personalized care and likely never inspected the dog for any issues.

That all said, I don't think there is much recourse unless it turns out that the infection left untreated for a few days will cause excessive medical it financial issues.

I would just leave some bad reviews with all the facts.

OmarLittle666 said:   Vet says its an infection. It was $60 for an exam and antibiotics. I'm going down there to get his stuff and talking to the manager again about reimbursement.

Omar's comin yo!

BenH said:   It sounds like the issue is that OP paid for a boarding plan that should have included veterinary care. Even if OP would need to pay for additional treatment the facility should probably have caught something like this. While it is possible, it seems unlikely that OP immediately saw large infection while facility didn't the night before.

As I would expect, the facility is probably not actually doing what they say in terms of giving personalized care and likely never inspected the dog for any issues.

That all said, I don't think there is much recourse unless it turns out that the infection left untreated for a few days will cause excessive medical it financial issues.

I would just leave some bad reviews with all the facts.

It was a week worth of care. Nothing overnight

You're overreacting - these things will happen when you board your dog.

OmarLittle666 said:    This vet has 24/7 care and I paid extra for 1v1 care with an employee so if there were any issues, they would call me. Never received a call

This is the part you have a legitimate gripe about. I don't think you can fault them for the infection unless you can point to some specific negligence on their part, but they should have discovered and informed you about it and the fact that they didn't suggests that your dog was not getting the attention you paid for. How much extra was this service?

doveroftke said:   
OmarLittle666 said:    This vet has 24/7 care and I paid extra for 1v1 care with an employee so if there were any issues, they would call me. Never received a call

This is the part you have a legitimate gripe about. I don't think you can fault them for the infection unless you can point to some specific negligence on their part, but they should have discovered and informed you about it and the fact that they didn't suggests that your dog was not getting the attention you paid for. How much extra was this service?

$12 more a day for a whole week. If they called me and told me or said they'll offer a complementary exam at the attached Vet, then I wouldn't have an issue. Things happen, I get it. However, the fact that they said, "we didn't notice anything" shows they didn't do they job they should of done.

OmarLittle666 said:   
doveroftke said:   

$12 more a day for a whole week. If they called me and told me or said they'll offer a complementary exam at the attached Vet, then I wouldn't have an issue. Things happen, I get it. However, the fact that they said, "we didn't notice anything" shows they didn't do they job they should of done.

I'd ask for a refund of that $84. CC chargeback is an option, too, though I'd try to avoid it if possible because the business is probably not going to welcome you back if you go that route (even if you don't plan to return there, no reason to make an enemy if you don't have to).

Waiting for the owner of the tiny Chi with a swollen vajayjay to post.

NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   
ZenNUTS said:   Well, at least you know the dog had a hellva good time.
Hopefully OP does not get served with puppy support papers.

OP can sue on behalf of the dog for visitation rights.

I'd say definitely go back to the pet resort as your dog seemed to have a lot of fun.

OmarLittle666 said:   Vet says its an infection. It was $60 for an exam and antibiotics. I'm going down there to get his stuff and talking to the manager again about reimbursement.

I'd never have the nerve to do that.  Boarders require shots but it's unreasonable to expect your dog won't be in contact with other dogs for a week.  And we're talking about $60 here?

On the other hand tell the manager you're gonna rip him on Yelp and maybe he'll pay ya.

kriskos4 said:   

And we're talking about $60 here?  

Pet peeve (pun intended) of mine when people say the money is so insignificant; if it's such a small amount, then the pet resort should have no problem paying that to keep a happy customer.

OmarLittle666 said:   Picked him up and immediately notice a big infection on his "junk" when I got home. 

Ya check your dog's junk?

MrSamsung said:   
kriskos4 said:   

And we're talking about $60 here?  

Pet peeve (pun intended) of mine when people say the money is so insignificant; if it's such a small amount, then the pet resort should have no problem paying that to keep a happy customer.

If it were me I wouldn't go back there whether I was paid or not.  I would express my displeasure and find another place and leave it at that.  But like I said, perhaps they'll pay to keep OP from ripping them on yelp.

atikovi said:   
OmarLittle666 said:   Picked him up and immediately notice a big infection on his "junk" when I got home. 
  Ya check your dog's junk?

You don't?

Don't swing that way.

Dude, chill out. Infections can spread fast, there is a very strong chance it only became noticeable the day you picked your dog up. You're acting like he had it the entire time, which simply isn't true. If it was true, that means he brought the infection with him to the resort.

Sickness in dogs at boarding places is very common. Especially because the high stress environment - away from home, not with firmilar people, other dogs - weakens the immune system.

Ask for the $60 if you want, but the idea that they didn't take care of your pup is completely over the top and uncalled for.

Well, you should ask for the extra $12/day back, since "we didn't notice it" means they were not providing that service. And post an appropriate review.

Is the aggro worth $60? I agree this might or might not have happened at the resort. And I might add I think you should hug your vet, you got great value for $60.

Fleas on my dog,
fuh-leas on my dog,
poor cocker spaniel, flea-zy dog.

Good luck getting it. Human patients at hospitals get infections all the time. And the hospital treats them for it and sends them the bill.

All in the game, yo...

i took my dog to the groomers to get groomed. He got kennel cough. A trip to the vet plus antibiotics, $100+. Who do ya think got stuck holding that one?

dispute charge on your credit card: Services not rendered as advertised.

The dog would disagree.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017