• filter:

Smartphone deposit of a Canadian check?

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
I tried to deposit a Canadian bank check with my Smartphone for the first time and it said "You can't deposit this kind of check with QuickDeposit. Please do this through a Teller or ATM." Has anyone been able to do this at other banks with a Smartphone? I am using Chase QuickDeposit.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
I have some great memories from when we visited Candania!

rated:
Most likely they need you to sign a form about foreign instruments and you can't do that via Camera deposits.

rated:
At chase with a teller I can deposit a Canadian check with no extra paper work just like a US bank issued check.

rated:
Always use a Canadian phone with a Canadian check.

rated:
If it is Canadian funds going to a US account you run afoul of the know your customer rules.   If the bank personnel do not know you by sight. You will need to appear in person.   The border cambios here along the Mexican border have been battling that rule for 30+ years.   Now Canadian sources are no longer exempt.

NE Dealsnot a smart answer, US banks are not supposed to accept deposits in foreign funds  that do not either meet SWIFT standards or IBS rules.  there is a deminimus amount exception for less than $100 US last time I looked.

rated:
NEDeals said:   Always use a Canadian phone with a Canadian check.
  Isn't that limiting to just Blackberry?  No one uses those anymore

rated:
nsdp said:   NE Dealsnot a smart answer, US banks are not supposed to accept deposits in foreign funds  that do not either meet SWIFT standards or IBS rules.  there is a deminimus amount exception for less than $100 US last time I looked.

Lawyer translation: Please check your sense of humor detection circuit. 

rated:
Quick answer: Go into the branch to deposit a foreign check.

rated:
Your smartphone deposit is based on reading and verifying the MICR numbers at the bottom of the check. Canadian routing sets fail this step.

rated:
OP: You probably used the wrong version of the app. Were you using the one called "I wanna make a deposit, eh?"

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017