Possible to find sold prices of cars in your area?

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Just bought a new car and looking to sell the old one. I can find what people are asking for same car and similar miles in the area but can't seem to find anything on sold cars. Anyone can ask for anything, I looked up KBB and it is showing like $3,400 private party but looking around dealers are selling for $7,500+/. and the private listings I have found are $5-6K. NADA is showing clean retail just under $6K. Trying to figure out what I should list it for. Any help would be much appreciated.
2006 Nissan Altima 4 cyl 4D 2.5 S automatic, just over 85,000 miles located in northern California

Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Try truecar.com Seems to aggregate local price paid on new and used. Not sure about private party sales tho...
Good Luck!
(no affiliation)

Altimas with around 100k miles are selling for $5k in my area.

eBay shows sold listings for 2 weeks.

eBay sold listings is your best bet to see actual examples.

I find KBB and other valuation tools to be unreliable.

Also: dealer cars usually sell for more than private-party since some people are unnecessarily paranoid about private party sales; also used cars purchased from dealers are protected by lemon laws in some states, which is kind of priced in.

Sounds like around $5500 obo to me

bc3000 said:   Just bought a new car and looking to sell the old one. I can find what people are asking for same car and similar miles in the area but can't seem to find anything on sold cars. Anyone can ask for anything, I looked up KBB and it is showing like $3,400 private party but looking around dealers are selling for $7,500+/. and the private listings I have found are $5-6K. NADA is showing clean retail just under $6K. Trying to figure out what I should list it for. Any help would be much appreciated.
2006 Nissan Altima 4 cyl 4D 2.5 S automatic, just over 85,000 miles located in northern California

Put it on craigslist for whatever you want.  If you get no offers, then you're asking too much.  If you get too many offers, then you sold yourself short.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017