Wrongful levy

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this I am 18 and just checked my bank account app to find that my bank account has been frozen by the Orange County Sheriff department. (I live in san Bernardino county I haven't lived in Orange County since I was 5) So I checked my message center and received a message that my account has been served a "levy" I had no clue what this was and I did research ago learn that a creditor can do this. I do not owe any credito 3.5k. I only have two cards and barely have had my first job this year so I don't understand how it could be an IRS levy. If someone could help me understand or tell me what to do that would be great.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

emmalopezninja said:   Hi everyone,

I'm new to this I am 18 and just checked my bank account app to find that my bank account has been frozen by the Orange County Sheriff department. (I live in san Bernardino county I haven't lived in Orange County since I was 5) So I checked my message center and received a message that my account has been served a "levy" I had no clue what this was and I did research ago learn that a creditor can do this. I do not owe any credito 3.5k. I only have two cards and barely have had my first job this year so I don't understand how it could be an IRS levy. If someone could help me understand or tell me what to do that would be great.

Call the bank and ask who the creditor is. Then get an attorney and have them set aside the levy. 

Contact the bank for more detail then contact the court or county treasurer for more information.  When you get it resolved, check your credit reports for related information on your credit reports.

Hopefully some moron attached your account for the debts of somebody else and it'll be relatively easy to straighten out.
If it's a judgment creditor, you'll want to pull the court file next week when the court's open.

Probably a case of identity theft.

Check your credit report to see if there is anything there that shouldn't be. Might be identity theft.

Could also just be a clerical error.

Since you won't be able to talk to anyone at the bank until Monday, I'd start by pulling your free credit reports online, and look for additional accounts you didn't open. See what the reports give for your date of birth. I have a sneaking suspicion they'll show you a bit older than 18. Then I'd have a little talk with family members.

Go here: https://www.annualcreditreport.com and get a copy from all three companies.  Decline any pay options.
Check each report for things that do not look familiar.
Comeback here with the negative information.

alamo11 said:   
emmalopezninja said:   Hi everyone,

Call the bank and ask who the creditor is. Then get an attorney and have them set aside the levy. 

The bank will probably just refer you to the Sheriff ('s department) that froze the account.

Child Support in arrears?

irate_retro said:   Since you won't be able to talk to anyone at the bank until Monday, I'd start by pulling your free credit reports online, and look for additional accounts you didn't open. See what the reports give for your date of birth. I have a sneaking suspicion they'll show you a bit older than 18. Then I'd have a little talk with family members.
  Tuesday btw, banks are closed on Monday

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017