• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
I plan to use more Uber/Lyft and less driving my own car. Which one is cheaper (Uber or Lyft) and do they require tipping?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Or gives folks another option, that otherwise would have been forced to take existing public transportation.  

Can't blam... (more)

WillyWah (Feb. 27, 2017 @ 3:28p) |

Can you make a living in San Francisco as a full-time Uber driver? How much do you expect to gross monthly as a fu... (more)

bbrite (Feb. 27, 2017 @ 3:47p) |

I don't think Uber will be around that long.  They are losing billions per year and have few palatable options to change... (more)

bluegreenturtle (Feb. 27, 2017 @ 4:03p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
No tipping at Uber.

Lyft encourages tipping to the point that they promote it in their commercials.

rated:
I have no idea, but in my area, the amount of Uber cars out are exponentially higher than Lyft.

rated:
it varies from city to city.
in some city, uber is cheaper.
in some, lyft is cheaper.

rated:
Lyft seems to attract more business accounts and professional type people, on average. Uber has no tipping. Both have regular promotions and discounts. Many lyft drivers also work for Uber.

rated:
I suppose another version of this question is: are there any alternatives to uber or lyft?

Here are two (which I have never tried and cannot vouch for):

Fasten
Juno

Fatwalleters -- please add to the list and give feedback if you have it! The above services claim to be cheaper...

rated:
It varies. Especially if they classify surge times differently.

rated:
NEDeals said:   Lyft seems to attract more business accounts and professional type people

Must be the pink moustache on their cars.

rated:
They're interchangeable. Sign up for both. Be sure to use a friends referral link to do so.

rated:
I know about surge pricing but new years eve was ridiculous...one mile from my hotel Uber was $56!!! We flagged down a cab and paid $20 including a massive tip.

rated:
kriskos4 said:   I know about surge pricing but new years eve was ridiculous...one mile from my hotel Uber was $56!!! We flagged down a cab and paid $20 including a massive tip.
If people wouldn't pay it, they wouldn't charge it.

rated:
There's also GETT (at least in NYC)

I sometimes pull each of them up and compare the rates.

rated:
VIa in NY/Chicago/DC. Fixed-price shared rides within a limited zone. Manhattan under 125th st, etc.

rated:
kriskos4 said:   I know about surge pricing but new years eve was ridiculous...one mile from my hotel Uber was $56!!! We flagged down a cab and paid $20 including a massive tip.
  I have a feeling this is going to backfire on us a few years from now. Taxis will be eventually driven out of business and we will have replaced it with an unregulated market free to gouge us at will. Like the taxis in Moscow.

rated:
TravelerMSY said:   
  I have a feeling this is going to backfire on us a few years from now. Taxis will be eventually driven out of business and we will have replaced it with an unregulated market free to gouge us at will. Like the taxis in Moscow.

No one uses taxis in Moscow, you just flag down a gypsy cab and negotiate a rate.

rated:
Take a taxi and stop the race to the bottom.

rated:
you can use google maps to compare uber and lyft prices and even order one!

rated:
sfchris said:   Take a taxi and stop the race to the bottom.
  Weird.  I've only been in ~4 taxis total and 4 ubers.  But all 4 taxis were as far as the bottom you can go - Smoke-infested run down old vehicles, and the drivers in 2 of them could only manage very broken English (All 4 taxis/ubers in USA).  All four of the ubers were much nicer vehicles than the best of the 4 taxis, and the vehicles were all clean and the drivers were all of much better temperament too.  Small sample size and all that... but still.  Until I run into an Uber that's as bad as even the best taxi I've been in, I will never take another taxi.  (Nevermind the "Broken credit card reader" scam which was pulled in two of the taxis, too)

rated:
pillsdoughboy1 said:   you can use google maps to compare uber and lyft prices and even order one!
 Uber vs Lyft Price Comparison: http://www.fareestimate.com/

rated:
SinbadS said:   I plan to use more Uber/Lyft and less driving my own car.
  If you got rid of your car, ok, but makes no sense if you own a car and are paying the insurance and maybe a loan.

rated:
atikovi said:   
  If you got rid of your car, ok, but makes no sense if you own a car and are paying the insurance and maybe a loan.

Or unless someone is an old or otherwise dangerous driver.  (Like maybe people with long night shift hours prone to falling asleep while driving, etc)

rated:
App Builders.

Build an app that compares rates & availability of these services.

rated:
atikovi said:   

It's money well spent vs. a $5000 DUI.

rated:
Both charge an app commission ranging around 25-35% compared to 5-10% that your local car service company charges.

Put down an app - and dial a number. You're guaranteed to save more $$$$ this way. Plus, you get fully legit insured finger-printed driver.

And as a bonus, your local car service may have its own app. Some had apps even before Uber.

rated:
zapjb said:   App Builders.

Build an app that compares rates & availability of these services.

Google Maps does this in major cities - for example when I pulled up directions in NYC it showed me prices from Uber, Lyft and Gett.  I do have all 3 of those installed as well though.

rated:
Bend3r said:   
  Weird.  I've only been in ~4 taxis total and 4 ubers.  But all 4 taxis were as far as the bottom you can go - Smoke-infested run down old vehicles, and the drivers in 2 of them could only manage very broken English (All 4 taxis/ubers in USA).  All four of the ubers were much nicer vehicles than the best of the 4 taxis, and the vehicles were all clean and the drivers were all of much better temperament too.  Small sample size and all that... but still.  Until I run into an Uber that's as bad as even the best taxi I've been in, I will never take another taxi.  (Nevermind the "Broken credit card reader" scam which was pulled in two of the taxis, too)

FWIW there is a similar app to Uber for the main Taxi operators in the US.  It USED to be called Taxi Magic, but they renamed it to CURB.  It lets you pay in app the same way Uber does.  I use Curb and Uber both, at least in Dallas the Taxi companies are pretty clean and prompt.  

The only reason Uber/Lyft are cheap at the moment is that they are trying to displace the taxi companies and doing it at the cost of their drivers -- the rates are not sustainable.  There is a huge churn as drivers are finding its not as profitable as they were led to believe.  MANY drivers are on both systems with separate phones.

rated:
BrianGa said:   

For a mile, i'd just walk to save $20.

rated:
lizardbrn said:   Both charge an app commission ranging around 25-35% compared to 5-10% that your local car service company charges.

Put down an app - and dial a number. You're guaranteed to save more $$$$ this way. Plus, you get fully legit insured finger-printed driver.

And as a bonus, your local car service may have its own app. Some had apps even before Uber.

Are you saying a car service would be cheaper than uber?

rated:
lonestarguy said:   BrianGa said:   

For a mile, i'd just walk to save $20.

My gf was in 5 inch heels and took them off while walking, right about then I saw a cab. Are was a little sketchy too, at least the part we had to walk through.

rated:
lizardbrn said:   

Has not been my experience. I recently used my company's preferred car company to go to the airport - it was significantly more than an Uber would have been. I was traveling to a small city without Uber, and it was not only less convenient to call for a car, I'm sure that an Uber would have been cheaper than their rates.

rated:
BrianGa said:   
lizardbrn said:   

Has not been my experience. I recently used my company's preferred car company to go to the airport - it was significantly more than an Uber would have been. I was traveling to a small city without Uber, and it was not only less convenient to call for a car, I'm sure that an Uber would have been cheaper than their rates.

With Uber rates at 50% of an equivalent taxi fare, this is a nonstarter.

rated:

Sometimes hard to do - I switched to using Uber when taxis in NYC refused to take me to LaGuardia. They would see my bag and drive off, or if my bag was not easily seen, they would drive off when I asked them to pop the trunk.

For that reason, at least in NYC, I could care less if they go under.

rated:
tbuccelli said:   

Sometimes hard to do - I switched to using Uber when taxis in NYC refused to take me to LaGuardia. They would see my bag and drive off, or if my bag was not easily seen, they would drive off when I asked them to pop the trunk.

If I had two people I would always ensure we had one of us inside before giving a destination if there was a risk of the driver pulling that stunt.  Or at least ensure the door is open if just me.  But I avoid taxis as much as possible.  It is a lot easier to avoid them now with Uber/Lyft and formerly sidecar.

rated:
tbuccelli said:   

I live in NYC and everything about cabs here sucks- including the govt regulation.while legally the cab driver has to take you where you want to go i find that to be absurd. if a ride isn't profitable (or profitable enough) for the driver they shouldn't have to take you.i know it's illegal but i've had tons of drivers refuse to take me to an outer borough and i have zero problem with it.

rated:
kriskos4 said:   
lizardbrn said:   Both charge an app commission ranging around 25-35% compared to 5-10% that your local car service company charges.

For me, yes. I use D!al7 car service whenever traveling to/from Laguardia to FiDi and it's almost cheaper than Uber.  The best part is, the fare is guaranteed when you book the car, no surcharge. 

rated:
ach1199 said:   
kriskos4 said:   

For me, yes. I use D!al7 car service whenever traveling to/from Laguardia to FiDi and it's almost cheaper than Uber.  The best part is, the fare is guaranteed when you book the car, no surcharge. 

I don't really know Lyft but Uber prices are guaranteed to you book the service, if there is a surcharge it's disclosed on the app.

rated:
bxlefty23 said:   
tbuccelli said:   

I live in NYC and everything about cabs here sucks- including the govt regulation.while legally the cab driver has to take you where you want to go i find that to be absurd. if a ride isn't profitable (or profitable enough) for the driver they shouldn't have to take you.i know it's illegal but i've had tons of drivers refuse to take me to an outer borough and i have zero problem with it.

That's part of being licensed as a common carrier/regulated utility. An electric company may not find a particular customer profitable, but they still must provide electricity service.  The taxi driver is still making money on the fare to the outer borough (and possibly could do so on the return), so it's not like they're giving away a freebie. 

rated:
Uber doesn't encourage tipping? That's news to me! My friends who drive for uber act like they should be getting tips.

rated:
bxlefty23 said:   

So what is your problem with cabs? That you feel sorry when they get sucky fares? I live in NYC too and find taxis to be damn good, except for the fact that you can't get one when it's raining.

Skipping 11 Messages...
rated:
I don't think Uber will be around that long.  They are losing billions per year and have few palatable options to change that.  Ride sharing will last, but Uber will probably not. 

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017