Requesting for the process to reactivate dormant BOFA checking account

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I was using a Bank of America Checking account on 2007. I back to my country due to personal emergency and not operated the account from May 2007 onward.
I'm planning to come to USA and join a job from Feb 2017 onward.
please let me know the procedure and process to reactivate my checking account.is any heft penalty be put for reactivation.
Thanks.
SK

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Your account is most likely closed and the money is in the state's unclaimed property account. You can reclaim your money at https://www.missingmoney.com/ for most states.

If you want to bank at Bank of America, just open a new account.

Hi, Thanks much for your clear response. is it possible to open new checking account in other bank. will the dormant account /closed account is problem for opening new checking account in other bank.

sreenivasankannan said:   Hi, Thanks much for your clear response. is it possible to open new checking account in other bank. will the dormant account /closed account is problem for opening new checking account in other bank.

yes.....and welcome back!!!

sreenivasankannan said:   Hi, Thanks much for your clear response. is it possible to open new checking account in other bank. will the dormant account /closed account is problem for opening new checking account in other bank.
  Yes. No.

As long as you did not owe BoA any money when they closed your account, you should have no problem opening an account at another bank.

You do have a valid SSN?

atikovi said:   You do have a valid SSN?Not needed when foreigners open a bank account.

As long as you didn't write bad checks and get negative information on your ChexSystems report, there should not be a problem opening a checking account with another bank like Chase, Citibank, etc. 

And even if you did have issues they're likely gone from your record after this long a time (10 years) since they usually expire after five years (see below link). So unless you owe Bank of America money (which they can keep on file for a long time), I would just open a new account with whatever bank is most convenient.
https://wallethub.com/edu/what-is-chexsystems/13131/

If you see yourself traveling around the USA a lot, or doing international wire transfers, I would recommend one of the larger nationwide banks with branches and ATMs all over and who is setup for wire transfers. Some smaller banks aren't as well equipped and have to go through an intermediary bank for international transfers. I've linked to the 10 largest banks below.

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/banking/americas-biggest-banks-1...

If you're a foreigner, most banks ask for the following (list is from TD Bank) to open an account:
**Either a Social Security Number OR a non-US passport (must use one or the other)**
PLUS at least one of the following:
- Employment ID with Photo and Signature
- State Issued ID or Driver's License with signature  
- Foreign Driver's License with Photo
- US Employment Authorization card with Photo, signature and Expiration Date
- College ID with Photo
- Alien Registration Card

Safe travels and best of luck. Welcome back.

Thank you all for your response.Your replies clarified my doubts and helpful to me.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017