how does paypal handle those purchases using stolen credit card or gift card?

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I know my PayPal account was hacked on Oct. 2016. The hacker did two purchases so far,  One used saved credit card to buy a cell phone and shipped to my address on Oct. 2016, I reported it to PayPal and got refund immediately.  The second one I found today, the hacker used e-gift card to buy something on Sears. com on Nov 2016. I bought this Sears e-gift on eBay through PayPal on May 2015, I called Sears. com, they can not give me any help and just told me the e-gift balance zero, last transaction on Nov. 2016.  Then I called PayPal and a customer representative told me they will investigate it, but a refund has already shown in my PayPal account now. BTW my email was yahoo email address.

Why can they refund so quickly? do they investigate these purchases with stolen credit card or gift card? As I know the cell phone is still in post-office because I got other notice from Post office recently.  

Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

How much they investigate will really depend on how much is at stake. If its a $25 charge, they will just refund it, and count it as a loss. If its a $2500 charge, then they will put more effort into looking into the matter.

How much was the cell phone? Its likely they know it will cost them more in time/shipping/resources to locate it at your post office, and deal with getting it returned/shipped to them. Big companies typically know the cost for these type of fraud incidents and although it might seem like they are wasting money by not investigating it, its likely they are saving money by just letting the cell phone sit, and refunding you for the gift card.

The cell phone is $160, the gift card is $80.

How was it hacked?

I got a link to login my account , I did not realize it is fake webpage. I just felt weird there is no response from the webpage. Later I got text of the purchse.

chinalex said:   I got a link to login my account , I did not realize it is fake webpage. I just felt weird there is no response from the webpage. Later I got text of the purchse.
Wow, people still fall for THAT?
No offense, but, seriously, that and "NudeBeyonce.jpg.exe" attachments are internet usage 101...

Ecuadorgr said:   
chinalex said:   I got a link to login my account , I did not realize it is fake webpage. I just felt weird there is no response from the webpage. Later I got text of the purchse.
No offense, but, seriously, that and "NudeBeyonce.jpg.exe" attachments are internet usage 101...

Could you PM me please? I think Fatwallet is breaking your file link, not working for me. THX!!

chinalex said:   I know my PayPal account was hacked

This should read, "I gave my Paypal password to somebody".  Your account was not hacked.

Ecuadorgr said:   chinalex said:   I got a link to login my account , I did not realize it is fake webpage. I just felt weird there is no response from the webpage. Later I got text of the purchse.

Yes. All know that trick, but you cannot be alert all time. When you are anxious to wait for the information , it was pop the right time and let you check the status. Can you hold yourself ? Lol.

Yes, you can and must be alert all the time when it comes to links in emails!

scripta said:   Yes, you can and must be alert all the time when it comes to links in emails!

It came in text message that I usually get shipment information updated . This was the first time and hope it was the last time.

Especially links in text messages!

Especially links to banks/credit cards/payment systems. I would go to a browser and type the website address myself.

-----

irate_retro said:   chinalex said:   I know my PayPal account was hacked

This should read, "I gave my Paypal password to somebody".  Your account was not hacked.

Thanks for your comments, I just simply described the story. Actually I got text with link like craigslist, which has no credit card information and no personal information, that is why I did not take action immediately. But I used same email address and same password. The guy used that information hacked my PayPal account.

chinalex said:   But I used same email address and same password.

Oh boy.  This story gets better with every post!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017