• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
My building had a sewage backup that got resolved today. Someone flushed a hair weave down the toilet in another unit and there is no way to figure out who did it. I have had my toilet and bathtub backup with sewage water and crud.. water has leaked from somewhere under my floor ruining my 2 year old hardwood floors and it can be detected in the some of the drywall.

So basically, my floors are ruined and I need to figure out where this came from and portions of the wall need to be pulled out to find the leak and need replaced if it especially if it is sewage water.

I have condo insurance that covers me for sewage backup but this is not an issue inside my condo, it's a issue from a pipe or a floor drain somewhere.

I'm trying to plan my wedding and this is a huge inconvenience. I hope you all can help me think this through as I navigate how much I should even tell my own insurance and the condos insurance provider?

I really don't understand who is liable?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
eeclark said:   . I have had my toilet and bathtub backup with sewage water and crud.. water has leaked from somewhere under my floor
 Can you clarify, it sounds like two problems 1) toilet and bathtub backup with sewage and 2) water leaking

rated:
The "who is liable" question is something your insurance company will sort out through subrogation... they'll pay you out, then investigate and settle with or sue the entities they think they can get paid back by. File with your insurance co. for the inside-the-walls issues, file with the condo's ins. co. for the behind-the-walls stuff, and keep in mind that they might need access to investigate, or even take a deposition from you. All of that is down the line. But get the ins. cos on the job now.

rated:
OP do you have any drywall? You might have mold as well.

I would have your insurance take care of it now, instead of waiting.

rated:
eeclark said:   I have condo insurance that covers me for sewage backup but this is not an issue inside my condo, it's a issue from a pipe or a floor drain somewhere.

Unless you are plumber, don't diagnose the issue yourself. Call your insurance and let them figure it out. That's what you pay them for.

rated:
Meh. . maybe I'm too used to illegitimate questions from OP's who never respond to what posters say.

Edit: and seeing that this post is from a user who registered a little over 2 hours before he posted the thread, I'd say I am right most likely.

rated:
Very general rule is that things inside the walls are the responsibility of the individual owner.

"Determining who is liable for condo water damage can be a tricky task, as it depends on the precise cause of the damage. Condo associations maintain insurance to cover common areas in the complex, while individual condo insurance policies cover the interiors of individual units, such as the walls, flooring and contents."

sfgate 

rated:
eeclark said:   My building had a sewage backup that got resolved today. Someone flushed a hair weave down the toilet in another unit and there is no way to figure out who did it. I have had my toilet and bathtub backup with sewage water and crud.. water has leaked from somewhere under my floor ruining my 2 year old hardwood floors and it can be detected in the some of the drywall.

So basically, my floors are ruined and I need to figure out where this came from and portions of the wall need to be pulled out to find the leak and need replaced if it especially if it is sewage water.

I have condo insurance that covers me for sewage backup but this is not an issue inside my condo, it's a issue from a pipe or a floor drain somewhere.

I'm trying to plan my wedding and this is a huge inconvenience. I hope you all can help me think this through as I navigate how much I should even tell my own insurance and the condos insurance provider?

Now is the time to contact your HOA or insurance company if you have either.

rated:
eeclark said:   My building had a sewage backup that got resolved today. Someone flushed a hair weave down the toilet in another unit and there is no way to figure out who did it. I have had my toilet and bathtub backup with sewage water and crud.. water has leaked from somewhere under my floor ruining my 2 year old hardwood floors and it can be detected in the some of the drywall.

The two liable parties would generally be:
1) Whoever owns the pipes where the clogged occurred
2) Whoever flushed something down the drain that should not go down a drain

For condos/HOAs, plumbing (outside of a an individual unit) is often the responsibility of the HOA/COA (though you can read your declaration to find out). The HOA/COA would typically have an insurance policy to cover plumbing problems, including damaged property as a side effect.

For sewage backup, you'll need to replace pretty well everything porous that the sewage touched (wood flooring, drywall etc.)

As others mentioned, start a claim with your personal insurance, or with the building insurance. Make sure to get a restoration service that follows ANSI S500 standard.

rated:
Thanks for all the responses, even the harsh ones.
I talked with the condo board and they did not fight me on it, they said they would replace and fix everything. I just need to get this in writing.. apparently someone flushed a *expletive* hair weave down the toilet. What a *expletive* idiot.

Prior to this conversation, I called my insurance and they told me I should, contact their insurance. When I contacted their insurance, they basically acted like jerks. I was panicking because I felt like my insurance would not cover this huge job that will need to be done if a sewage backup has flooded my entire home from underneath my floors.

I am gonna up my policy for increased coverages while I own this condo.

rated:
eeclark said:   Thanks for all the responses, even the harsh ones.
I talked with the condo board and they did not fight me on it, they said they would replace and fix everything. I just need to get this in writing.. apparently someone flushed a *expletive* hair weave down the toilet. What a *expletive* idiot.

Prior to this conversation, I called my insurance and they told me I should, contact their insurance. When I contacted their insurance, they basically acted like jerks. I was panicking because I felt like my insurance would not cover this huge job that will need to be done if a sewage backup has flooded my entire home from underneath my floors.

I am gonna up my policy for increased coverages while I own this condo.

Generally, if you go through your insurance, they will help you get the right restoration people involved and be more friendly to work with. They'll ultimately determine responsibility at a later point and most likely subrogate the claim to the HOA's insurance. If you work directly with the HOA insurance, then you'll be subject to the HOA's approvals/limits at every step of the way. If the insurance fully covers the restoration and the HOA is being friendly, this might be fine. But working with your insurance, you can better insure the cleanup is done to your standards. Anyways, most insurance companies will just hire serv-pro, COIT or some other major restoration service who all basically follow S500 process. But if the insurance limits are below the cost of restoration, someone on the HOA board might direct them to cut corners to avoid too big of an HOA liability (which in turn would usually become a special assessment to all members of the association). Good luck.

rated:
KayK said:   Meh. . maybe I'm too used to illegitimate questions from OP's who never respond to what posters say.

Edit: and seeing that this post is from a user who registered a little over 2 hours before he posted the thread, I'd say I am right most likely.

Do you ever get tired of being wrong?

rated:
eeclark said:   My building had a sewage backup that got resolved today. Someone flushed a hair weave down the toilet in another unit and there is no way to figure out who did it. I have had my toilet and bathtub backup with sewage water and crud.. 
Don't know much about plumbing but doesn't each unit have a backflow preventer? 
Don't know much about hair style but what is a weave? Its that like a toupee? Why would it cause a backup? Hair gets in the drains all the time.

rated:
When I bought my insurance policy for the condo I rent this was a specific option, the cost was rather low, ~$40 per year as recall, an owners premium would probably be around ~$100 per year. Presumably you could sue the responsible party but that will likely be an uphill & costly battle.

rated:
atikovi said:   
eeclark said:   I have condo insurance that covers me for sewage backup but this is not an issue inside my condo, it's a issue from a pipe or a floor drain somewhere.
  Unless you are plumber, don't diagnose the issue yourself. Call your insurance and let them figure it out. That's what you pay them for.

Given what he said in the OP it's pretty obvious a plumber has already figured out what happened.

rated:
I meant, let OP's insurance company figure out which insurance will pay for the repairs. OP's or the condo association's.

rated:
Things which belong in a toilet:

Toilet paper

My wife used to flush her used dental floss down the toilet. The one with a waste can right beside it. Not only was it wasteful, it had a slight chance of starting a clog. Why she ever did that I'll never know.

rated:
wilesmt said:   My wife used to flush her used dental floss down the toilet. 
No big deal, it can handle that, if a toilet can handle 40 golf balls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Tk1I0u0SVs

rated:
More flushing videos. At the 22 second point, the 12 inch long chocolate longjohn as they call it is rather, umm, graphic in this context.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg7OT3rKeTc

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017