• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
2016 is over and we don't have a Heavy Hitters thread yet (that I could find ). 
 
Who knocked it out the park this year? 

What constituted a Heavy Hitter in 2016? Is  >$1k a month still a decent achievement?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
My drivers weren't making very much money on big nights for some reason. I find out the girls they're dropping off at ho... (more)

Al3xK (Feb. 22, 2017 @ 5:47p) |

How do I sign up to be a driver?

alamo11 (Feb. 22, 2017 @ 6:06p) |

Al3xK (Feb. 22, 2017 @ 8:19p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
what counts towards the $1K A MONTH?

rated:
not even 1k/week is enough for HH status.

rated:
Good scores to be had on home refis, CC offers, flips using pricematching.

rated:
DamnoIT said:    flips using pricematching.
  how does one do PM on real estate?

rated:
rufflesinc said:   
DamnoIT said:    flips using pricematching.
  how does one do PM on real estate?

 Flips of goods ect...

rated:
therivler1 said:   not even 1k/week is enough for HH status.
  Yeah.. I agree.

rated:
HH status = you did so much you stopped paying attention because it took too much time and your $$/hr was so high it was also cost a lot of $$ to figure it out.

rated:
imbatman said:   HH status = you did so much you stopped paying attention because it took too much time and your $$/hr was so high it was also cost a lot of $$ to figure it out.
  Yeah, I think this is it.  

I've learned so much over the years on FWF and a few other places.  The most important thing I learned is that it can be done.  

I started out decades ago with my own little version of profiting from low interest BTs (long before 0%).  After doing that a while, I learned of FWF and learned a few more tricks.  Then GCs and MOs and BPs...   lots of leg work and a decent wage per hour... but still a wage.  

I really think that it is was only because I went through such a progression that I was then able to grow into new, different and more productive areas.  

I have a day job where I am proud of making a difference.  I contribute and that feels good.  

I also have a "nights and weekends" exploit that is far beyond GCs, 0% BTs, sign up bonuses and the like.  I don't really contribute anything to the growth of the economy, the betterment of anyone other than myself and my family, but I am making way more per hour than any exploit or trick that is written about on forums.  

I think my gravestone should pay tribute to SIS, Alci, Xerty, DaveHanson, Venturian, Shaftslinger and many others that have given me that helpful advice, nudge or inspiration over the years.  

 

rated:
I stopped churning CCs and started churning stocks several years ago and haven't looked back.  I'm not sure the returns are quite as good (but closer than you might think), but it sure scales a lot better.  

rated:
xerty said:   I stopped churning CCs and started churning stocks several years ago and haven't looked back.  I'm not sure the returns are quite as good (but closer than you might think), but it sure scales a lot better.  
  
Pays to have a lil' bit of $ at various brokers so you can 'fool' the order book sometimes.  Just try not to get caught in any real news or a bigger fish changing their position.

rated:
I don't guess I'm anywhere close to being a HH, but I have learned a ton on FWF.
My wife and I made $7k in one year just from cash back bonuses on CC's a couple of years back. I guess I need to close some accounts, because that well seemed to dry up quickly. Can still do a couple here & there, but with 20+ cards it's becoming increasingly difficult.

Have also purchased a house almost every year since 2007. Eight total, had to sell one in a short sale, but the other 7 are all profitable rentals. Just bought our next door neighbor's house and have a renter waiting for Feb 1 to move in, when we should be done renovating. I don't think I would have been able to get them without the help and knowledge of the finance forum here on FW, especially since I mow grass/landscape for a living. Ha. Thanks to all, much appreciated!

 

rated:
landscaper owns 7 houses... I must be doing life very very wrong

rated:
jd2010 said:   landscaper owns 7 houses... I must be doing life very very wrong

No kidding....

rated:
jd2010 said:   landscaper owns 7 houses... I must be doing life very very wrong
There are a lot of unemployed people that own more houses 😉

rated:
rufflesinc said:   
jd2010 said:   landscaper owns 7 houses... I must be doing life very very wrong
There are a lot of unemployed people that own more houses 😉

  Are you making fun of me?

rated:
alamo11 said:   
rufflesinc said:   
jd2010 said:   landscaper owns 7 houses... I must be doing life very very wrong
There are a lot of unemployed people that own more houses 😉

  Are you making fun of me?

  nope, just pointing out that the point of owning houses is to have no job or be able to have a simple job that doesn't pay much

rated:
I started saving late in life. After Katrina wiped me out, I started again. My GF owns the house we live in so I've had no rent for the last 15+ years. Just basic bills.
There is not much of a retirement plan for lawn and garden guys, so I started buying storm-damaged houses in early 2007, and holding them as rentals.... the worse off, the better. Over paid on the first one, had a contractor who hired all subs, basically earned $10k for pointing and arranging to be there for certain people/times. After that, I've hired people myself that I've come to trust and rely on.  The rental market is strong here, and it's a LL-friendly state.  

 

rated:
jd2010 said:   landscaper owns 7 houses... I must be doing life very very wrong
  I am guessing the same type of person that can find people to mow lawns cheaply can also find people to rehab houses cheaply. It is an ability to communicate, train and motivate immigrant labor.  

rated:
debentureboy said:   
imbatman said:   HH status = you did so much you stopped paying attention because it took too much time and your $$/hr was so high it was also cost a lot of $$ to figure it out.
  Yeah, I think this is it.  

I've learned so much over the years on FWF and a few other places.  The most important thing I learned is that it can be done.  

I started out decades ago with my own little version of profiting from low interest BTs (long before 0%).  After doing that a while, I learned of FWF and learned a few more tricks.  Then GCs and MOs and BPs...   lots of leg work and a decent wage per hour... but still a wage.  

I really think that it is was only because I went through such a progression that I was then able to grow into new, different and more productive areas.  

I have a day job where I am proud of making a difference.  I contribute and that feels good.  

I also have a "nights and weekends" exploit that is far beyond GCs, 0% BTs, sign up bonuses and the like.  I don't really contribute anything to the growth of the economy, the betterment of anyone other than myself and my family, but I am making way more per hour than any exploit or trick that is written about on forums.  

I think my gravestone should pay tribute to SIS, Alci, Xerty, DaveHanson, Venturian, Shaftslinger and many others that have given me that helpful advice, nudge or inspiration over the years.  

 

  
Just to enticing not to ask - willing to share any hints on the "nights and weekends" exploit?
 

rated:
AnotherPoster said:   Just too enticing not to ask - willing to share any hints on the "nights and weekends" exploit?
  "Nights and weekends" is just my way of talking about non-W2 activities.  Nothing sexy like H&B to read into it. I have a fairly demanding W2 job, so any FWF type activities have to happen on "nights and weekends".  ...Until such time as I can swing things without my W2 job!  At which point, basically ALL the time will be nights and weekends.  

rated:
iseetrails said:   
jd2010 said:   landscaper owns 7 houses... I must be doing life very very wrong
  I am guessing the same type of person that can find people to mow lawns cheaply can also find people to rehab houses cheaply. It is an ability to communicate, train and motivate immigrant labor.  

  Cheaply? Immigrant labor?  Wow, lots of assumptions. To begin with, I don't find people to mow lawns cheaply. I have had the same employees for years. $17/hour in S.E.LA is anything but cheap labor. Like most things, you get what you pay for. I start experienced guys @ $12/hr and they get a $1 raise every year, if they hustle. I've also had some of the same clients for 18+ years. 
As far as houses, no immigrant labor, just a great crew of handymen that treat me fairly, as I do them. I buy the worse houses I can find, and make them like new again. 

rated:
ElephantNest said:   I started saving late in life. After Katrina wiped me out, I started again. My GF owns the house we live in so I've had no rent for the last 15+ years. Just basic bills.
There is not much of a retirement plan for lawn and garden guys, so I started buying storm-damaged houses in early 2007, and holding them as rentals.... the worse off, the better. Over paid on the first one, had a contractor who hired all subs, basically earned $10k for pointing and arranging to be there for certain people/times. After that, I've hired people myself that I've come to trust and rely on.  The rental market is strong here, and it's a LL-friendly state.  

 

nola here too. lots of interesting para llels to your story. congrats on the success!

rated:
debentureboy said:   AnotherPoster said:   Just too enticing not to ask - willing to share any hints on the "nights and weekends" exploit?
  "Nights and weekends" is just my way of talking about non-W2 activities.  Nothing sexy like H&B to read into it. I have a fairly demanding W2 job, so any FWF type activities have to happen on "nights and weekends".  ...Until such time as I can swing things without my W2 job!  At which point, basically ALL the time will be nights and weekends.  



Uhh. Speak fo yo self. My bottom b***h is my nights and weekends.

rated:
solarUS said:   
ElephantNest said:   I started saving late in life. After Katrina wiped me out, I started again. My GF owns the house we live in so I've had no rent for the last 15+ years. Just basic bills.
There is not much of a retirement plan for lawn and garden guys, so I started buying storm-damaged houses in early 2007, and holding them as rentals.... the worse off, the better. Over paid on the first one, had a contractor who hired all subs, basically earned $10k for pointing and arranging to be there for certain people/times. After that, I've hired people myself that I've come to trust and rely on.  The rental market is strong here, and it's a LL-friendly state.  

 

nola here too. lots of interesting para llels to your story. congrats on the success!

  Thank you, sir! Though it hardly feels like success at this point. Things are still tight, borrowed a little to get the last house. Broke my foot Nov 22, had surgery, been gimped since then and shelled out $5500 for my deductible. Not good timing at all. 
Not complaining, just stating I'm nowhere near where I want to be. Three of the houses have mortgages, taxes and ins have SKYROCKETED, as I'm sure you're well aware of. Flood ins has almost doubled on a few places, went up a lot for all of them. I'd really like to start flipping, but am a little hesitant. Not sure why, I guess I need to dive in and just do it.

If you ever need landscaping for your properties, let me know. If you do your own labor, I can at least get your plant material at wholesale cost.

 

rated:
Is it just me or have (downtown) New Orleans prices skyrocketed in the last 2-3 years as everything suddenly started trading at its potential Airbnb value?

rated:
TravelerMSY said:   Is it just me or have (downtown) New Orleans prices skyrocketed in the last 2-3 years as everything suddenly started trading at its potential Airbnb value?
ha! i just posted about this:https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/59627?showmessage=19760...

although i'm not sure it's driven by AirBnB. we've had some strong population growth:

http://www.bayoubuzz.com/bb/item/1062273-new-orleans-rapid-popul...

rated:
Since no one seems to want to answer, here is one that I can share now since the opportunity has mostly passed.

As part of the Diesel emissions scandal, VW agreed to give owners restitution and to purchase the eligible vehicles back at "NADA Clean Trade Value" from September 2015. The restitution was only available to those who had purchased prior to the announcement.

However TDI values had fallen so dramatically since the scandal broke that for awhile it was extremely profitable to purchase them used on Craigslist, especially since the price that VW would pay was openly available and set in stone. I ended up purchasing 5 separate vehicles for just under $59k, had to pay state fees of $1800 (still trying to get those back), and sold them back to VW for $78k. On average I held onto the vehicles for 5 months, which equals >80% ROI.

The buy-back was a pain, but I was pretty good at it by the end. Unfortunately the time has mostly passed, if you search craigslist now you'll find people actively trying to buy them for this purpose and most of the good deals have dried up.

rated:
Czechmeout said:   Since no one seems to want to answer, here is one that I can share now since the opportunity has mostly passed.

As part of the Diesel emissions scandal, VW agreed to give owners restitution and to purchase the eligible vehicles back at "NADA Clean Trade Value" from September 2015. The restitution was only available to those who had purchased prior to the announcement.

However TDI values had fallen so dramatically since the scandal broke that for awhile it was extremely profitable to purchase them used on Craigslist, especially since the price that VW would pay was openly available and set in stone. I ended up purchasing 5 separate vehicles for just under $59k, had to pay state fees of $1800 (still trying to get those back), and sold them back to VW for $78k. On average I held onto the vehicles for 5 months, which equals >80% ROI.

The buy-back was a pain, but I was pretty good at it by the end. Unfortunately the time has mostly passed, if you search craigslist now you'll find people actively trying to buy them for this purpose and most of the good deals have dried up.

  How is that >80% ROI?  You got $78K revenue with just nearly $61K in expenses... that is a profit of ~$17K, which would be an ROI of 21.87%... $17K/$61K

rated:
Czechmeout said:   
The buy-back was a pain, but I was pretty good at it by the end. Unfortunately the time has mostly passed, if you search craigslist now you'll find people actively trying to buy them for this purpose and most of the good deals have dried up.

  farking invisible hand 

rated:
Dus10 said:   
Czechmeout said:   Since no one seems to want to answer, here is one that I can share now since the opportunity has mostly passed.

As part of the Diesel emissions scandal, VW agreed to give owners restitution and to purchase the eligible vehicles back at "NADA Clean Trade Value" from September 2015. The restitution was only available to those who had purchased prior to the announcement.

However TDI values had fallen so dramatically since the scandal broke that for awhile it was extremely profitable to purchase them used on Craigslist, especially since the price that VW would pay was openly available and set in stone. I ended up purchasing 5 separate vehicles for just under $59k, had to pay state fees of $1800 (still trying to get those back), and sold them back to VW for $78k. On average I held onto the vehicles for 5 months, which equals >80% ROI.

The buy-back was a pain, but I was pretty good at it by the end. Unfortunately the time has mostly passed, if you search craigslist now you'll find people actively trying to buy them for this purpose and most of the good deals have dried up.

  How is that >80% ROI?  You got $78K revenue with just nearly $61K in expenses... that is a profit of ~$17K, which would be an ROI of 21.87%... $17K/$61K

  Sorry, annualized rate of return is what I meant

rated:
Czechmeout said:   
Dus10 said:   
Czechmeout said:   Since no one seems to want to answer, here is one that I can share now since the opportunity has mostly passed.

As part of the Diesel emissions scandal, VW agreed to give owners restitution and to purchase the eligible vehicles back at "NADA Clean Trade Value" from September 2015. The restitution was only available to those who had purchased prior to the announcement.

However TDI values had fallen so dramatically since the scandal broke that for awhile it was extremely profitable to purchase them used on Craigslist, especially since the price that VW would pay was openly available and set in stone. I ended up purchasing 5 separate vehicles for just under $59k, had to pay state fees of $1800 (still trying to get those back), and sold them back to VW for $78k. On average I held onto the vehicles for 5 months, which equals >80% ROI.

The buy-back was a pain, but I was pretty good at it by the end. Unfortunately the time has mostly passed, if you search craigslist now you'll find people actively trying to buy them for this purpose and most of the good deals have dried up.

  How is that >80% ROI?  You got $78K revenue with just nearly $61K in expenses... that is a profit of ~$17K, which would be an ROI of 21.87%... $17K/$61K

  Sorry, annualized rate of return is what I meant

  but you can't repeat it this year!

rated:
rufflesinc said:   
Czechmeout said:   
Dus10 said:   
Czechmeout said:   Since no one seems to want to answer, here is one that I can share now since the opportunity has mostly passed.

As part of the Diesel emissions scandal, VW agreed to give owners restitution and to purchase the eligible vehicles back at "NADA Clean Trade Value" from September 2015. The restitution was only available to those who had purchased prior to the announcement.

However TDI values had fallen so dramatically since the scandal broke that for awhile it was extremely profitable to purchase them used on Craigslist, especially since the price that VW would pay was openly available and set in stone. I ended up purchasing 5 separate vehicles for just under $59k, had to pay state fees of $1800 (still trying to get those back), and sold them back to VW for $78k. On average I held onto the vehicles for 5 months, which equals >80% ROI.

The buy-back was a pain, but I was pretty good at it by the end. Unfortunately the time has mostly passed, if you search craigslist now you'll find people actively trying to buy them for this purpose and most of the good deals have dried up.

  How is that >80% ROI?  You got $78K revenue with just nearly $61K in expenses... that is a profit of ~$17K, which would be an ROI of 21.87%... $17K/$61K

  Sorry, annualized rate of return is what I meant

  but you can't repeat it this year!

  People who find the best deals only talk about them once the deals are dead. Reduces competition.

rated:
stanolshefski said:   
rufflesinc said:   
Czechmeout said:   
Dus10 said:   
Czechmeout said:   Since no one seems to want to answer, here is one that I can share now since the opportunity has mostly passed.

As part of the Diesel emissions scandal, VW agreed to give owners restitution and to purchase the eligible vehicles back at "NADA Clean Trade Value" from September 2015. The restitution was only available to those who had purchased prior to the announcement.

However TDI values had fallen so dramatically since the scandal broke that for awhile it was extremely profitable to purchase them used on Craigslist, especially since the price that VW would pay was openly available and set in stone. I ended up purchasing 5 separate vehicles for just under $59k, had to pay state fees of $1800 (still trying to get those back), and sold them back to VW for $78k. On average I held onto the vehicles for 5 months, which equals >80% ROI.

The buy-back was a pain, but I was pretty good at it by the end. Unfortunately the time has mostly passed, if you search craigslist now you'll find people actively trying to buy them for this purpose and most of the good deals have dried up.

  How is that >80% ROI?  You got $78K revenue with just nearly $61K in expenses... that is a profit of ~$17K, which would be an ROI of 21.87%... $17K/$61K

  Sorry, annualized rate of return is what I meant

  but you can't repeat it this year!

  People who find the best deals only talk about them once the deals are dead. Reduces competition.

  that .... doesn't address the problem that , for all that hustle, that particular deal is non-repeatable.

rated:
ElephantNest said:   
solarUS said:   
ElephantNest said:   I started saving late in life. After Katrina wiped me out, I started again. My GF owns the house we live in so I've had no rent for the last 15+ years. Just basic bills.
There is not much of a retirement plan for lawn and garden guys, so I started buying storm-damaged houses in early 2007, and holding them as rentals.... the worse off, the better. Over paid on the first one, had a contractor who hired all subs, basically earned $10k for pointing and arranging to be there for certain people/times. After that, I've hired people myself that I've come to trust and rely on.  The rental market is strong here, and it's a LL-friendly state.  

 

nola here too. lots of interesting para llels to your story. congrats on the success!

  Thank you, sir! Though it hardly feels like success at this point. Things are still tight, borrowed a little to get the last house. Broke my foot Nov 22, had surgery, been gimped since then and shelled out $5500 for my deductible. Not good timing at all. 
Not complaining, just stating I'm nowhere near where I want to be. Three of the houses have mortgages, taxes and ins have SKYROCKETED, as I'm sure you're well aware of. Flood ins has almost doubled on a few places, went up a lot for all of them. I'd really like to start flipping, but am a little hesitant. Not sure why, I guess I need to dive in and just do it.

If you ever need landscaping for your properties, let me know. If you do your own labor, I can at least get your plant material at wholesale cost.

 

  
Very nice of you to offer to help a fellow FWer. We are all family here!

rated:
rufflesinc said:   
Czechmeout said:   Since no one seems to want to answer, here is one that I can share now since the opportunity has mostly passed.
  but you can't repeat it this year!

  
The thread wasn't asking about things to do in 2017, just results we had in 2016. And yes, this was a non shareable opportunity because it only took a small number of players in a market to ruin the profitability of it.

rated:
The deals will always be talked about after they die because otherwise it will ruin it by publicizing it, however, by reading of others' exploits it gives ideas for upcoming pursuits which is the main point of the thread.

rated:
Czechmeout said:   
rufflesinc said:   
Czechmeout said:   Since no one seems to want to answer, here is one that I can share now since the opportunity has mostly passed.
  but you can't repeat it this year!

  
The thread wasn't asking about things to do in 2017, just results we had in 2016. And yes, this was a non shareable opportunity because it only took a small number of players in a market to ruin the profitability of it.

  okay , im not talking about shareable. I'm talking about the fact that VW emission issue was a one-off and you can't do it again in 2017, share or no share.

rated:
rufflesinc said:   Czechmeout said:   
rufflesinc said:   
Czechmeout said:   Since no one seems to want to answer, here is one that I can share now since the opportunity has mostly passed.
  but you can't repeat it this year!

  
The thread wasn't asking about things to do in 2017, just results we had in 2016. And yes, this was a non shareable opportunity because it only took a small number of players in a market to ruin the profitability of it.

  okay , im not talking about shareable. I'm talking about the fact that VW emission issue was a one-off and you can't do it again in 2017, share or no share.


Flashback to heavy hitters of 2006-2014 threads. Very little if any of that can still be done. Share or no share.

Skipping 111 Messages...
rated:
alamo11 said:   
Al3xK said:   
BingBlangBlaow said:   
Al3xK said:   I'm in Cali. So far this has been my most successful side venture: https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1227013
  How's that going?

My drivers weren't making very much money on big nights for some reason. I find out the girls they're dropping off at home are asking them in for a drink and they're sleeping with them. Well you can imagine this is happening at the prime hours.
I eventually sold the 2 golf carts for ~$2k profit each. I had at least $40k in fun though if I had to guess.  I had 18 people one time on the cart...fun parties.

  How do I sign up to be a driver?

  http://www.caddyrides.com/drivers-wanted

This guy made it work lol

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017