• filter:

Transferring balances to new gift cards for cards purchased online

  • Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
I'm considering buying a number of discounted Physical gift cards (mostly for restaurants) through one or more of GC Granny's "preferred" gift card trading sites. While these sites have some level of guarantee on the value of the card (some sites 45 days, some 100 days), I don't really plan to use them all in that timeframe and I definitely don't trust them beyond the guarantee date based on some reviews I have read and the shady WHOIS information available for them.  I am interested in exchanging them in-store for new cards that I know will have far less chance of being tampered with.  Is this something most businesses allow or will they be thinking I'm trying to engage in some fraudulent activity?  Any advice I should follow?  

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
YMMV.

rated:
mistadeal said:   I am interested in exchanging them in-store for new cards that I know will have far less chance of being tampered with.  Is this something most businesses allow or will they be thinking I'm trying to engage in some fraudulent activity?  Any advice I should follow?
Many POS systems allow it, but some supervisors/managers might not like it. Restaurants are somewhat more lenient about such things.

Probably dont mention the word "exchange".  Just ask to purchase a $100 gift card or two $100 gift cards, whatever.  Let them ring it up, and start swiping. Smile and be friendly.

rated:
mistadeal said:   Any advice I should follow?Yeah -- don't do it. Why buy more than you can use?

rated:
Don't combine balances for Starbucks cards. If they find that one of the cards was fraudulently purchase, they'll lock the entire balance.

rated:
Thanks for the inputs. Looking to spend out a CC offer so I can get points in time to book a rewards flight this Spring, and I figured this would be a good way to save money at places I usually go anyway. It might be more hassle/worry than it's worth.

rated:
You might be better off just buying gift cards at your local grocery. Much less chance of fraud.

I do it fairly often to get the 5% back on groceries applied to other categories, and for the King Soopers fuel points.

rated:
stanolshefski said:   Don't combine balances for Starbucks cards. If they find that one of the cards was fraudulently purchase, they'll lock the entire balance.
  This is true of other retailers too. Don't assume a new card bought partially with an old card is free and clear. 

rated:
mistadeal said:   Thanks for the inputs. Looking to spend out a CC offer so I can get points in time to book a rewards flight this Spring, and I figured this would be a good way to save money at places I usually go anyway. It might be more hassle/worry than it's worth.
Buy visa gc at b&m store. Use it for whatever. If you still want discounts at restaunts register vIsa gc for online use and buy it when you need it.

Speaking as someone that has been sitting on hundreds of dollars at flemings steakhouse for 6 years.

rated:
Buy open-loop GCs (1%), pay bills (2-2.5%), or pay a friend (2.7-3%). Save yourself time, gas, potential harassment, and much higher risk of fraud.

rated:
YMMV, but assuming you're right and one of the gift cards you buy is bad/fraudulent and you "wash" it with a new gift card, that retailer/restaurant is going to be none to pleased with you, even if you weren't the original source of the fraud.

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017