Amazon Rewards Visa now 5%/2%/1% for Prime members

Archived From: Finance
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Was just checking out while shopping at Amazon and it auto selected my credit card on file (this is not the Prime store card that has had 5% but is the Chase issued Visa Signature regular old Amazon credit card that has always had 3% cash back at Amazon ) and showed me "Earns 5% Back". I visited Chase after and the terms all over the site still say 3% when I'm signed into my account. Also curiously the card now has a "Prime" descriptor by name at Amazon that I'm pretty sure it didn't have before today.

(edit: looks like it got moved to Finance, hi Finance)

(edit 2: Confirmed by various outlets and other users)

Member Summary

Screenshot
Thanks tegeril
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Huh?  It's 4.5% cash back (3 UR points/$) at restaurants.

cestmoi123 (Jan. 22, 2017 @ 8:42a) |

This conversation was about the Chase Amazon card.

scripta (Jan. 23, 2017 @ 12:42p) |

Anyone have success converting from another Chase card?

PatrickBateman (Feb. 08, 2017 @ 10:38a) |

tl;dr: Chase website terms still show 3%, checking out at Amazon showed me 5% and called it by a new name despite being the same credit card.
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Some marketing materials got out too soon. There's speculation that the 3% card could become 5%, possibly only for Prime members, or maybe it'll be a new product.

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-amazon-card-set-earn-5-back-...

Nice. But I stopped using my Rewards Visa and just went to an Amazon Store card as it was 5% back and I only used it for Amazon anyway...

Does anyone recall if Chase Amazon visa is Chase Ultimate Reward points .. or cashback? Chase UR points would be more valuable to people with Chase Reserve card.

garystad said:   seems official https://www.amazon.com/iss/credit/rewardscardmember/
  this link shows 3/2/1 (Amazon/restaurants,gas,drugstores/everything else) rewards for me

It seems not UR points .. i have both, but will stick to Amazon card for now.

imbatman said:   garystad said:   seems official https://www.amazon.com/iss/credit/rewardscardmember/
  this link shows 3/2/1 (Amazon/restaurants,gas,drugstores/everything else) rewards for me

Shows 5/2/1 for me as a logged in prime member

Just came here to post the news, I received an email regarding 5% for AZN purchases since I have Prime. Helps the Sallie Mae changes not sting quite as much, now I need to find backfill for 5% groceries.

New card. Will replace existing one and for Prime customers only. Card supposed to be metal too. 5% on Amazon, 2% gas/groceries, 1% everything else.

zonacat said:   
imbatman said:   
garystad said:   seems official https://www.amazon.com/iss/credit/rewardscardmember/
  this link shows 3/2/1 (Amazon /restaurants,gas,drugstores/everything else) rewards for me

duh yea, bennie for prime members only.

is this official on Chase.com it still shows 3%

imbatman said:   
zonacat said:   
imbatman said:   
  this link shows 3/2/1 (Amazon /restaurants,gas,drugstores/everything else) rewards for me

duh yea, bennie for prime members only.

I am a prime member and it's only showing 3/2/1 for me.

if you are a prime member and it shows 3% still, there is a link to click on under payment methods to update it..it asks for your card number and it will become 5%.

damn, wish they'd done this before I signed up for the Synchrony Amazon store card... I hate losing out on the CC benefits (warranty extension and the likes).

rsuaver said:    Card supposed to be metal too. 
  I don't get the metal card thing.  Is it some kind of status symbol or something, or is there an advantage to it that I am not seeing.

defjukie said:   damn, wish they'd done this before I signed up for the Synchrony Amazon store card... I hate losing out on the CC benefits (warranty extension and the likes).

It's about time they bump this up to 5%. It always seemed odd that the store card would have 5% for prime members when the Visa would only have 3%. I originally had (and still possess, though I only use it to make a small purchase every once in a while to keep it active) the Visa from long, long ago (I think it was even before I discovered Citi Forward and their 5X points for Amazon. com, which has since been discontinued) but got the store card when they began doing the 5% there. I'll probably switch back to the Visa now.

Clocks said:   
  I don't get the metal card thing.  Is it some kind of status symbol or something, or is there an advantage to it that I am not seeing.

Chase wants their card members to feel special

Clocks said:   

Particularly since I can't imagine why anyone would actually carry the physical card around with them, since the only place it makes sense to use it is at Amazon.  

Clocks said:   

I agree. These are a PITA. I have to use my sheet metal snips to destroy the old cards.  

Now without foreign transaction fees, so they want you to buy from their international websites too. Brilliant!

qcumber98 said:   Now without foreign transaction fees, so they want you to buy from their international websites too. Brilliant!
I have had no fees buying from their international websites before. You just state which currency your card is in (see the screenshot I attached above) and it bills you in that currency.

tegeril said:   
qcumber98 said:   Now without foreign transaction fees, so they want you to buy from their international websites too. Brilliant!
I have had no fees buying from their international websites before. You just state which currency your card is in (see the screenshot I attached above) and it bills you in that currency.

But the email says "your card just got better".  It's all lies!

prozario said:   It seems not UR points .. i have both, but will stick to Amazon card for now.
Yeah I've been hoping for it to open up and allow conversions (especially now!) but they are definitely different pools.

qcumber98 said:   
tegeril said:   

But the email says "your card just got better".  It's all lies!

lol - well... less better than you thought

Onenote said:   
Clocks said:   

I agree. These are a PITA. I have to use my sheet metal snips to destroy the old cards.  

Crap, I didn't even think of that.  I was just thinking it would make my wallet heavier, but as someone else said, this will probably be just an Amazon only card.

BTW a Cnet article comfirms it is metal.

Clocks said:   
Onenote said:   
Clocks said:   

Crap, I didn't even think of that.  I was just thinking it would make my wallet heavier, but as someone else said, this will probably be just an Amazon only card.

They make good ice scrapers for your windshield. They're also very good at scraping old caulk out of shower stall tiles. Many more uses than the cheap plastic ones.

It seems having a non-primary Amazon Household Prime (grandfathered) account does not qualify as an eligible Prime account. My Chase Amazon card shows 3% on Amazon.com with no option to link to my Prime account for 5%.

Chase will not approve new cards if holders have applied anywhere for 5 cards of any kind in the preceding 24 months. General bank policy preventing me from applying as denied applications reduce credit score and ironically reduce future eligibility for Chase cards.

millervtranger said:   if you are a prime member and it shows 3% still, there is a link to click on under payment methods to update it..it asks for your card number and it will become 5%.
  To see if you earn 3% Back or 5% Back on Amazon.com purchases:
• Visit Amazon.com/youraccount
• Click "Manage Payment Options" under the "Payment Methods" section; and
• Expand the details of your Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Card to see how much you are earning on Amazon.com purchases. If your Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Card is earning 3% Back on Amazon.com purchases and you have an eligible Prime membership, you can learn how to verify your card and earn 5% Back on Amazon.com purchases.

smarteconomist1 said:   Chase will not approve new cards if holders have applied anywhere for 5 cards of any kind in the preceding 24 months. General bank policy preventing me from applying as denied applications reduce credit score and ironically reduce future eligibility for Chase cards.
  This rule only applies to certain Chase cards, and the Amazon card isn't one of them.

Onenote said:   
Clocks said:   

you can ask them to send an envelope specifically for the disposal of old cards. You send it back to them, they destroy it.

On the "5/24" situation, this card will count as one of the 5 if you haven't hit it yet, but you can get it if you have more than 5. In other words, if you want the good chase cards, get them first (up to your limit of 5 applications in 24 months), and then you can apply for this if you still want it.

Thanks! Just a few minutes ago, I'd placed a small order with Prime using a different card. Then, saw this thread and checked my Amazon Visa card, which I haven't used in a long time. Indeed, it reflected the updated "earn 5%" instead of 3%. Then, saw that I could go into my recent order and change the payment method, which was done easily. My first time using that feature. Thanks again

millervtranger said:   if you are a prime member and it shows 3% still, there is a link to click on under payment methods to update it..it asks for your card number and it will become 5%.

Thanks so much for posting this!  Only problem is, it needs me to reenter my card data, which means I have to go home and dig reeeeeeeeeeeally deep in the sock drawer to find that old Amazon card to re-enter it, lol!

Chris.

5% back is great, but with Amazon prices constantly changing, I usually use my Discover card so that I'm getting Price Protection. I guess I'm going to have to re-evaluate things to see which works better for me.

Clocks said:   
Onenote said:   
Clocks said:   

Crap, I didn't even think of that.  I was just thinking it would make my wallet heavier, but as someone else said, this will probably be just an Amazon only card.

Chase will send you a small prepaid envelope with two slots for metal cards if you call (or send secure online message) to destroy. They send them for renewal of the Sapphire Preferred card (and when you cancel if you ask when calling to cancel).

These are NOT Chase UR points and can only be redeemed for cash ($20 increments) or Amazon orders. They say go to chase.com/amazonrewards to see details and interestingly enough, one of my old CC's (AARP) has points on there.

I'm on Chase.com and when I look at the AARP card, I can't find anyway to get to the points site, but when I visited the above link, there they are.

Skipping 45 Messages...
Anyone have success converting from another Chase card?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017