• filter:

Old Comcast bill in collection on credit report

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
I got an email from Credit Karma last week saying my credit report changed. Logged in and see my TransUnion and Equifax scores went from around 815 to 785 and that Stellar Recovery posted a collection action of $202 for Comcast opened on Oct. 10 and last reported Dec. 26. My issue with Comcast is as follows:

3/19 started Triple Play service
4/18 cancelled under their 30 day money back guarantee. I returned the equipment but the agent at the counter said I would lose my 2 landline numbers, so I agreed to go to phone service at $44.95 + $11.95 for the second line 
5/19 paid $123.64 for 4/18-5/17 and 5/18-6/17 of phone service
6/16 cancelled all service and returned phone router (switched to a Verizon FIOS bundle)

As far as I was concerned I had been paid up. Comcast kept sending $202 bills for a few months but after a few times waiting on hold for over 10 minutes I gave up trying to explain or clarify the issue. After that I got letters from the collection agency but they kept saying I had to contact Comcast to correct the bill. What are my options to get this off my credit report. Contact Comcast or the collection agency? If I agree to a payment of any amount, how do I get them to guarantee they will remove the collection on both reports? 

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Contact Comcast to fix the issue.

rated:
atikovi said:   If I agree to a payment of any amount, how do I get them to guarantee they will remove the collection on both reports? 

Get it in writing.  That's Comcastic!

rated:
So you kept getting bills and just "but after a few times waiting on hold for over 10 minutes I gave up trying to explain or clarify the issue"

The bills would not magically disappear. Unless you got a zero balance statement, you would have gone to collections.

rated:
You don't actually have to wait on the phone, this is not the 1980's. Leave it on speakerphone while you do other things, pick it up when they answer.

rated:
I had a pretty similar issue with Cox Communications. I emailed their executive customer care and they had the collection removed from my credit report. http://elliott.org/company-contacts/comcast/

rated:
You have to deal with Comcast. The collections agency doesn't get paid for removing your collection from credit report, but when they collect the money. So, they have no incentive to make you problem go away. If you know that the debt is not yours, dispute it with credit report agencies as your first step.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017