• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Got letters from Discover Card saying if I don't use the accounts by xyz date my cards would be cancelled.  Date comes and goes and I get a replacement card for one of the cards with new expiration date.  I never activated the card nor have plans of using the account.  I wonder if they will ever close out the accounts on their own.  

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
deeder said:   Got letters from Discover Card saying if I don't use the accounts by xyz date my cards would be cancelled.  Date comes and goes and I get a replacement card for one of the cards with new expiration date.  I never activated the card nor have plans of using the account.  I wonder if they will ever close out the accounts on their own.  
  Yes, No, Maybe.
They have not in the past. There is no way to know for certain if this will continue.

rated:
Our Discover cards all make a modest but appreciated donation to my isp every month, so I guess I've avoided the same confusion. Look for the 'small balance canceling cards' thread here.

rated:
All credit cards will eventually close if you don't use them. If you want the account to remain open, make a small purchase and immediately pay it off. Why risk it?

rated:
SlimTim said:   Our Discover cards all make a modest but appreciated donation to my isp every month, so I guess I've avoided the same confusion. Look for the 'small balance canceling cards' thread here.

hmmm Is there a way to automate this?
link??

rated:
They do when you start living in another country.

rated:
needhelpplease said:   
SlimTim said:   Our Discover cards all make a modest but appreciated donation to my isp every month, so I guess I've avoided the same confusion. Look for the 'small balance canceling cards' thread here.

hmmm Is there a way to automate this?
link??

Yes, but the easiest way no longer exists -- Amazon raised their allowance minimum to $5. I'm sure other vendors allow you you o make $1.99 automatic payments.

rated:
I called to close my account many years ago (when Sams started to accept MC). Account appeared closed in credit reports. But then Sams stopped accepting MC so I called to get a new account and oh surprised, my account was easily 'reactivated'. In fact, I got the same number as before. Then they started accepting MC again so I was going to cancel it and then came the offers 10% ApplePay and double CB for a year. So I stayed...

rated:
MilleniumBuc said:   They do when you start living in another country.

Just keep a family's mailing address as billing address.

rated:
Discover card is like the gift that keeps on giving. Hit 0 on phone and automatically connected to a American CSR, no phone tag runaround. Cash back doubled during holidays. Extra year warranty coverage on all purchases or double what is listed. I received a matching  yearly cash back amount  of $115 for being a good customer according to CSR and signing up for it. They have the best organization for handling all issues related to using a credit card. 

rated:
speckr said:   Cash back doubled during holidays.

Say what?

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017