• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
I'm a long-time PNC customer but only because they bought the local bank I was using before that. I'm not necessarily a fan, I'm just so used to them being my hub. I use PenFed for shuffling money around from account to account because they're great for that and I never have issues. Like a lot of people, I open and close a lot of accounts. Until recently, I never really thought about much more than how to liquidate and close the accounts easily and without penalties. But recently I opened a TD Bank checking account and I've ended up using them for various brick and mortar type services that require visiting a branch and they've been a pleasure to work with instead of the pita that PNC can often be. Their online banking is nice too. Now I'm thinking about dropping PNC and using TD as my main bank. I see a lot of people complain about banks here but which banks do you really like for general banking?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Central: Alliant Credit Union
Reason: No fees for my usage, really easy to move money around. Occasionally get other prod... (more)

feuertier (Feb. 03, 2017 @ 10:17a) |

Anyone use Bank of the Internet as their primary? The 1.25% on 150K with 15 debit card transactions is pretty attractive... (more)

montee4 (Feb. 13, 2017 @ 1:06p) |

I've had accounts with all of the big four banks and BoA is the best for high net worth customers, even if they are just... (more)

calwatch (Feb. 14, 2017 @ 1:48a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
DCU - customer service is fantastic at their most basic level of membership.

BofA - core checking is good. Branches/ATM's everywhere. Customer service is average - however, there are mobile/online channels for preferred rewards members (at least in the higher tiers) through which you can get a knowledgeable human rep quickly.

Fidelity - I'm pleasantly surprised at how useful their basic banking features. They are a brokerage house, and hence don't advertise their banking features much. However free ach etc makes for a really good hub. Beware though, they may not want customers who use them only as a bank without a sizable brokerage account. I think they offer free banking services subsidized by the big brokerage accounts their customers carry.

rated:
Citi. Lol. I don't like change, had this account my entire adult life. Recently stopped check cashing at 7/11 near me, but there's still online deposit.

rated:
Chase.

1) They are everywhere where I live and travel.
2) Free notary

This is the account (well, via WaMu, I have had since 16). Keep the $1500 in checking for no fees. Makes it nice for depositing cash, etc.

rated:
I also like TD for the branch experience, Sunday hours (in my area), etc.  But I also bank with BofA, for reasons mentioned above (preferred rewards & services), and tie to Merrill Edge, which allows essentially commission-free trading.

rated:
tennis8363 said:   Chase.

2) Free notary

What state, and when's the last time you tried to get something notarized?

In AZ, I tried to get something notarized in Oct, 2015, and was told that they no longer offer notary service. I don't know if it's by state, branch, or based on who's working that day.

rated:
I have been through two bank acquiring. My local bank > Norwest > Wells Fargo. While there have been a few changes over the years, I have been content to stick with them. When there was a threat to increase banking fees, I opened an account at First National of Omaha (FNBO). When the banking fee threat turned out not to apply to my accounts, I did not complete the change. That has worked well since I have a second purpose for some income and this arrangement has made that work well for me.
Since opening the FNBO account, I have acquired a couple of their credit cards. I do not have any Wells Fargo credit cards.

rated:
Schwab, for checking. I appreciate the quality of their customer service representatives, and electronically deposited checks are applied to my account within minutes. Their billpay is fast. Plus the ATM fees on top.  

GS Bank for Online Savings.  Their rate is very competitive, and I find that other banks with higher rates have complicated withdrawal limitations.  

rated:
For me it's two accounts. One local for deposits, notary, and teller access; and a national for free worldwide ATM fee refunds, commission free brokerage trades, and a fast ACH hub.

OP, your question is a bit confusing. You say TD is serving all your needs as a bank, but you don't want to leave PNC because of habit? And you're asking us if you should break that habit?

rated:
Ally all around, though I also use Schwab for it no transaction foreign ATM.

rated:
If I wanted checking and savings in one place, I would take FNBO Direct instead of Ally.  Good customer service, higher rate on checking without the tiers.

rated:
My small regional bank for convenience. Schwab for worldwide atms. Bank of America for virtually nationwide branch access and easy p2p to colleagues across the country. 

rated:
Chyvan said:   
tennis8363 said:   Chase.

2) Free notary

In AZ, I tried to get something notarized in Oct, 2015, and was told that they no longer offer notary service. I don't know if it's by state, branch, or based on who's working that day.

Arizona, 2 months ago. No issues whatsoever.

rated:
Chyvan said:   tennis8363 said:   Chase.

2) Free notary

I have used chase notary in michigan for five years , the last time a couple months ago. And at least four different locations

Chase has the best all around branch hours if you need in person banking or deposit bank. Open until 6PM m-th, 6:30 friday, 9-2 sat. The ones in grocery stores are open to 7 in evenings

rated:
I like Chase Bank I lived in Buenos Aires and I never had any banking problems and so far here in the States is Ok

rated:
Capital One 360 is my primary, which is entirely online (don't think they have any physical locations in my GA). I also use my credit union, Delta Community, as my only physical banking institution. I also use Simple (which is also totally online) for my banking business.

rated:
Flagstar Bank.   Highest level of knowledge/ability/maturity/helpfulness/resourcefulness of employees, in -branch and most online as well  + very reliable/failsafe billpay/notification etc, so good for a hub

rated:
NFCU. However, I keep accounts open at BoA, TD, various local/national CUs, and of course have a few open currently due to signup bonuses. I've had accounts at some point or another with almost every national FI. PNC's website was great, but their customer service and branches (near me) sucked. Chase is, well, Chase. BoA is the internet account, where if you use anything but the 'net or an ATM, you get charged $8.95. Good for keeping a few hundred in for a pinch, and/or depositing.

NFCU has all of our income flowing through it, as well as autopays, and mortgage. I've had numerous car loans with them and have a few other credit products there too. Another one I like is PSECU with their VISA/LoC combo. Recently, they dropped the LoC. However, it was great in my up and coming credit days because the VISA and LoC shared the same CL at the CU, but they reported as two different lines. Great for utilization purposes back then. 

rated:
I use 2 banks as well, Schwab for most things and as a hub - rebates all ATM fees. Then a national bank (or even a local unless you think you need to make deposits elsewhere). You can even skip that if you are willing to pay for a money order which you can remote deposit.

My Mortgage wis with Wells Fargo so they give me a full service checking account for free with no balance requirements. Only time I ever had issues was when my debit card expired and they forgot to send me a new one -- it was a requirement for the free account. After a few fees being reversed they figured it out and ordered me a replacement card. The branch even caught when it billed me the next month before the card registered and took it off a few days later.

Had the account for 12 years or so now, they changed it to their "new" relationship package once a few years back. Same general offer, just added a few minor benefits as well as the debit card requirement.

---
Just to add that I used Penfed before WF and was a "test" customer for their remote deposit service (long before it was a common offering) -- you still had to mail the checks in.  One of the checks got delayed due to a major holiday (it wasn't picked up at my end) and they booted me off the program.  Since it wasn't a "product" I was SOL getting it reset.  I already had the WF account so I started depositing at the ATM again.  (prepaid envelopes mind you, so no postage)

Penfed would work about the same as Schwab, really.  They also rebate ATM fees to a limit where Schwab is technically unlimited.  Not 100% sure Penfed will do a pull though.

rated:
mapen said:   For me it's two accounts. One local for deposits, notary, and teller access; and a national for free worldwide ATM fee refunds, commission free brokerage trades, and a fast ACH hub.

OP, your question is a bit confusing. You say TD is serving all your needs as a bank, but you don't want to leave PNC because of habit? And you're asking us if you should break that habit?

No, I'm not asking that at all. My question was simply what bank do you like for banking (as opposed to churning, etc)? I asked it because I thought it might spark an interesting discussion. I just shared some of my recent experience to get it going.

rated:
My local credit union.

rated:
Fidelity is excellent, in my experience. They are my financial hub, where I have virtually all my investments, and where I do all my routine day-to-day banking (using my core account as my checking account).

But, no local branches. For that, I have had good experience with Capital One, using their High Yield Checking account. The only problem has been that they have closed local branches and now the closest one is about 10-15 miles away.

rated:
UncaMikey said:   Fidelity is excellent, in my experience. They are my financial hub, where I have virtually all my investments, and where I do all my routine day-to-day banking (using my core account as my checking account).

But, no local branches. For that, I have had good experience with Capital One, using their High Yield Checking account. The only problem has been that they have closed local branches and now the closest one is about 10-15 miles away.

But do you really need a local Fidelity branch?

rated:
Currently, we checking accounts with Schwab, Suntrust,  Fidelity, Goldman-Sachs and Navy Federal.

• Schwab is our main checking account and used to move money around the other accounts with no charge.  They reimburse all ATM fee including foreign.  Schwab has a couple of branches in the area but not close-by.
  • Suntrust has many local branches in our area in case we need to see a teller, which we rarely do.
  • Fidelity is used for our 2% cash back Fidelity credit card.  
  • Goldman-Sachs savings account has 1.05% interest rate.
  • Navy Federal because my wife likes them.

Finally, nobody mentioned USAA.  Several friends use them and are quite satisfied.  My children use PNC and are quite satisfied.

rated:
PNC
They recently improved their smartphone deposit app.
1.75% cashback Visa
100% ATM fee reimbursement
Easy to navigate online banking.
never actually been to a branch in years.

rated:
ThWrfdzx9 said:   Schwab, for checking. I appreciate the quality of their customer service representatives, and electronically deposited checks are applied to my account within minutes. Their billpay is fast. Plus the ATM fees on top.  

GS Bank for Online Savings.  Their rate is very competitive, and I find that other banks with higher rates have complicated withdrawal limitations.  

Second Schwab... I had fraud on my account I didn't notice for 6 months (rarely used account) from an ATM skimmer -- I called on a whim and to get a new card, and they refunded $600 6 months out.... customer for life now.

rated:
UMB Bank ... easy access in KC - esp. cash deposits.

rated:
PNC Bank by far. Always at the forefront with technology, excellent customer service (maybe just your specific branch stinks), convenience, ethical (not like Wells Fargo), etc.

rated:
I hear Chase is thw worst for automobile financing. Most banks are shady. I personally like Mutual Savings Banks where they exist and reigonal tier banks.

With thousands of banks and credit unions, there is no one best bank. With mutuals I get amongst the highest rates with local branches with no fee checking and no min deposit minimums. With a regional I get lots of branches with lower fees than the biggest banks. With brokerage accounts I get ATM fees waived and easy transfer of brokerage funds.

I combine the best of these three.

rated:
Schwab. Friendly, no fees, great service. I haven't been inside a bank in 5+ years and don't ever really need to.

Once in a while I will have to deposit cash and have to have my wife do it in her local bank atm but other than that banks are useless. If they just let me do mobile cash deposit i'd be set

rated:
I use three banks.  WF for national access, PenFed for banking, and USAA for insurance and direct deposits.  

Wells Fargo - Legacy Crown Banking and Way 2 Save account from Wachovia.  Great customer service and I never had any random ghost accounts created by WF.  If I need to draw large amounts of cash or get cashier checks, I use WF.  

PenFed - Free notary service and great rates on car loans.  Great customer service.  Slow, but thorough.  

USAA - Our income from our rental properties and our day jobs all come through our USAA accounts and they underwrite all of our insurance (2x Life policies, homeowners, auto, flood).   Their online banking is outstanding and you can link outside accounts to the dashboard, albeit that feature isn't nearly as good as Personal Capital.  At any rate, it's the best of the three banks we use, even without B&M branches.  

If I had to choose one, it'd be USAA.   They don't have B&M branches, but when I need large amounts of cash, I t/f to WF anyway.  I've thought about adding Navy Fed to the list, but the benefits aren't enough to pull me away from USAA.

rated:
Edit: I made my recommendations. But then realized that this is an invite for fraud across my primary banks. "Hey there, I have accounts here. I dare you to break in and steal all my money...."

Sorry for the edit, but I had to do it.

rated:
Fidelity and Schwab may have local brokerage offices, but they aren't going to open up too many local bank branches, because that would make each location subject to Community Reinvestment Act and other legislation.

rated:
PNC has 1.75% cash back credit card, rebates ATM fees, and has an excellent online banking interface.

rated:
jtownsucks46 said:   PNC has 1.75% cash back credit card, rebates ATM fees, and has an excellent online banking interface.
  But Citi has a 2% card, as well as CapOne? Why would anyone use a 1.75% card just because of the issuing FI? Never made any sense to me. Just like those 1.5% CB cards that are becoming more popular--well Citi already beats you, so why would I switch? Surely people don't have THAT many issues with their cards that the once or twice per year call to customer service makes them want to leave .25-.5% on the table? 

rated:
jaytrader said:   
jtownsucks46 said:   PNC has 1.75% cash back credit card, rebates ATM fees, and has an excellent online banking interface.
  But Citi has a 2% card, as well as CapOne? Why would anyone use a 1.75% card just because of the issuing FI? Never made any sense to me. Just like those 1.5% CB cards that are becoming more popular--well Citi already beats you, so why would I switch? Surely people don't have THAT many issues with their cards that the once or twice per year call to customer service makes them want to leave .25-.5% on the table? 

In fact, I've had great customer service with CIti recently. All of my calls have been directed to their customer service center in South Dakota where everyone has been super helpful and speaks clearly. 

rated:
Ally - ATM fee reimbursement, fast ACH transfers, mobile check deposit.

That's all I really need.

rated:
I've had a Chase checking account for a long time that gets used as our shared account. The bill pay is convenient and we use it for cash deposits since all my other accounts are online only.
Also have a USAA checking account for my own money and that one has been primarily useful for the ATM rebates.
I recently opened a DCU checking account in preparation for possibly getting an auto loan from them (but ended up getting 0% at the dealer anyway) and that more or less replaced USAA. They also have ATM rebates and the savings account that comes with has a good rate for the "overflow" money from checking (up to $750). They're sticklers about writing a bunch of crap on mobile deposited checks (member number, "for deposit only at DCU", and signature) so I just mobile deposit checks through USAA or Chase where they only need a signature and ACH transfer in. They also charge for ACH push so I have to pull from one of the other accounts when I need money out.
Wife has TCF and I keep seeing random fees for things like cash out on debit transactions so I'd stay far away from them.

Given all the inconveniences I would recommend USAA over DCU for basic free checking (not sure if they closed off the checking product to military again but it was open to all when I got mine).

rated:
I like discover bank.

Not the highest APR for savings @ 0.95%, but it's sufficient for me. Easy to use app for check deposits and such... Free checks... Decent customer service.

ATM fees I'm not sure though, I don't believe there is a program to help with ATM fees but then again - I wouldn't even know since I haven't been to an ATM in the longest time. I almost find it easier to just go a store and get cashback.

I still tend to hold small accounts in other banks or for churning such as Chase, BofA, etc... I just don't use them for my main holdings.

Skipping 33 Messages...
rated:
I've had accounts with all of the big four banks and BoA is the best for high net worth customers, even if they are just in index funds and stocks on Merrill Edge. Chase has many branches in my area and the ATMs are easiest to use, but the bankers are not so friendly if you want to take advantage of a bonus. Citi is convenient and, in my experience anyway, always empty compared to Chase and BoA. When they were giving TYP for basic accounts they were good, but now I'm going to close them after taking advantage of a targeted savings bonus ($50 for $10,000 in new money for 90 days, or a 2% equivalent APY).

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017