• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Every year I go to a Chase branch and open checking/savings/credit accounts to get the current bonus.

In 2016, it was $300/checking, $200/savings, $100 extra for doing both checking and savings, $150 for opening a credit card, and $50 more for adding another user to the card.

Usually there are requirements like keeping $15k in one of the accounts for 90 days, setting up direct deposit, spending $500 on the card to get the $150...  That kind of stuff.  Also, it takes like a half hour to open the accounts so the "free money" isn't without its costs...  but, hey, I consider it a hobby!

6 months later when the bonuses have been paid and "early account closure" fee window has passed, I close the accounts out in order to qualify as a "new customer" the following calendar year.

When I open the accounts, I get the vibe from the teller that "they're having a good day" because I'm opening all these accounts (and they're getting something out of it too, meeting a quota or something for a bonus of their own).

Do you think I'd have any success calling the branches closest to me (there are 4 Chases within walking distance of my workplace!) and asking "hey, I'm looking for someone to open new checking/saving/credit accounts with Chase -- can you offer any additional incentive over the corporate offers to get my business?"  Even just an $20 extra credit would put a smile on my face.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
You asking for a bribe? It might not be legal in some states...

rated:
I thought i was greedy

rated:
Not a bribe! Just the best deal they're able to offer.

Reason for asking -- I had this happen to me recently:

I went to a Bass Pro Shop (brick and mortar store) to buy about $400 worth of gear.

I asked employee about a "sign up for a credit card and we'll give you $20 off your purchase today" signa and how long it would take to get the card.

He explained it wasn't some "instant" process like is done at Sears for a Sears Card ("swipe your driver's license and you're approved").  Bass Pro Shop required a form to be filled out (by hand!) with my SSN all over it.

I thanked him and said it wouldn't be worth it because 2% off $400 (my existing CC gave 2% back for this purchase) is $8: the $12 difference wasn't enough of a "win" to justify the time.

Employee countered he could use his friends-and-family employee discount to get an additional 15% off some of my items -- and for one of my items (a store brand thing) he could get 40% off!  In the end he could offer me "$75 off" over using my 2% CC.  So it was worth the trouble to fill out the form: happy customer, happy employee.

I'm looking for something like that: how to best approach an employee to get them to use every tool at their disposal to benefit their customer.

rated:
Not gonna happen at a bank. May be a hot looking blonde banker treats you a dinner on her own dime to win your business because she's trying to meet her sales goals.

rated:
Any platform person at a bank will have no hidden bonuses to give to you like in a retail environment.

rated:
WF last year. You could avoid filling out a pesky form for every account.

*Sorry, I know this has been beaten to death by people in other threads.

rated:
EatenByGrue said:   Every year I go to a Chase branch and open checking/savings/credit accounts to get the current bonus.

In 2016, it was $300/checking, $200/savings, $100 extra for doing both checking and savings, $150 for opening a credit card, and $50 more for adding another user to the card.

When I did the Checking/Saving at Chase in 2016 it was $300 Checking, $150 Savings, not $200...there was no bonus for both.  Where are you getting your offers from?
I just did it again for 2017 and this time it was $300 Checking, $200 Savings

rated:
Yeah, I've encountered these YMMV bonuses, as well. I saw a $200 checking account bonus for Bank of the West in branch, but when I got there, there was a even more attractive $300 offer with a brokerage account.

Same with my local US Bank branch. I went in for a $150 bonus, discovered a more lucrative one in one branch versus another

rated:
I get the impression that they're also penalized if you close your account in their branch.  So, that might cancel out the benefit they get from you opening the account.  (But, at the time that you're opening the account, they might not know that you intend to close it soon.)

rated:
icecube said:   
Where are you getting your offers from?

I usually get them in the mail -- those blue "sealed postcards" with information on the outside -- you pop them open and there's a flimsy plastic card with an offer number (and caveats on the back).

The card I used in 2016 (with the checking + savings + combo for both) was from September, and it *was* better than the offers I'm used to getting in the mail -- I picked it off the top of the "junk mail pile" at the Post Office (the "chase blue" caught my eye).

The card said non-transferrable, but the Chase girl didn't complain my name wasn't on the postcards.  While I was opening these accounts she pointed out the additional offer for a credit card when I asked her if there were any CC bonuses.

I haven't done it yet for 2017, thanks for giving me current numbers to shoot for!

rated:
icecube said:   
EatenByGrue said:   Every year I go to a Chase branch and open checking/savings/credit accounts to get the current bonus.

When I did the Checking/Saving at Chase in 2016 it was $300 Checking, $150 Savings, not $200...there was no bonus for both.  Where are you getting your offers from?

In June/July 2016 the bonus was $300 checking/$200 savings.

rated:
govenar said:   I get the impression that they're also penalized if you close your account in their branch.  So, that might cancel out the benefit they get from you opening the account.  (But, at the time that you're opening the account, they might not know that you intend to close it soon.)
  You can always go to a different branch and close the account. As long as you are not closing with a large balance in the account, nobody will notice.

rated:
devyanks90 said:   
icecube said:   

In June/July 2016 the bonus was $300 checking/$200 savings.

Never Mind: just realized the last time I opened the accounts was 2015, not 2016, and I did get a 1099 last year.
I missed my 2016 opportunity to churn

I also churn this each year.  
In 2016 opened the accounts, got the bonuses, closed the accounts.
In 2017 opened the accounts, got the Checking bonus, now waiting for the Savings bonus, and then will close again and repeat in 2018.
But I have yet to receive 1099s for the 2016 bonuses.
And if I login to my account and look for tax forms only the 2017 accounts show up since the 2016 accounts were closed last year.
Soooo...were the 2016 1099s supposed to come in the mail or is there another way to get them?

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017