What's it like to go to a shareholder meeting?

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I keep getting letters from my broker advising me of the shareholder meetings.

Has anyone here ever gone to one? What's it like? 

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
It seems like these meetings would be good for networking purposes, mainly with the other attendees.

tedteddy (Jan. 17, 2017 @ 11:55a) |

its sort of like going to the dentist...

trumpotron (Jan. 17, 2017 @ 3:51p) |

NYKnicksFan (Jan. 17, 2017 @ 4:12p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Please don't go. They're boring. Everything that can be done at the Shareholder meeting, can be done electronically (i.e. voting on BoD members, resolutions, etc.). The only nice thing about them is that there is often free food there. Everything that management has to say about the company/entity/etc. is canned and from a script.

Actually I take it all back. Go once and be bored or weirded out.

ArubaMan said:   Please don't go. They're boring. Everything that can be done at the Shareholder meeting, can be done electronically (i.e. voting on BoD members, resolutions, etc.). The only nice thing about them is that there is often free food there. Everything that management has to say about the company/entity/etc. is canned and from a script.

Free food? Is this a new FWF way to save? 

The only remotely interesting one is Berkshire Hathaway.

alamo11 said:   
ArubaMan said:   Please don't go. They're boring. Everything that can be done at the Shareholder meeting, can be done electronically (i.e. voting on BoD members, resolutions, etc.). The only nice thing about them is that there is often free food there. Everything that management has to say about the company/entity/etc. is canned and from a script.

If I remember right there was a post about what shareholder meetings had free food in the past...so yes

TravelerMSY said:   The only remotely interesting one is Berkshire Hathaway.

is it always in Omaha? I always wanted to meet the oracle (he's a fellow Penn Alumni)

Cheapest way to buy a stock??

needhelpplease said:   TravelerMSY said:   The only remotely interesting one is Berkshire Hathaway.

is it always in Omaha? I always wanted to meet the oracle (he's a fellow Penn Alumni)

obviously using gift cards that you earned with credit card sign up bonuses

I've been to a few.  Aside from the novelty, I wouldn't even consider it unless 1) you expect some material insight into the company or related companies and want to act on it quickly, or 2) you expect some insight or want to ask specific questions of the management.  If the company is an activist Target, it can be a good way to meet other activists investors.

Wal-Mart does a big shareholder meeting:

http://corporate.walmart.com/photos/2016-walmart-shareholders-meeting

People party in Bentonville, AR for several days. I think AT&T used to have a big one, where thousands would attend, but It's not like that anymore.

I've never gone to any shareholder meeting. I have a few shares of WWE. In their annual reports they discourage people from attending. Each year they say it's a business meeting and no wrestling stars will be there.

ArubaMan said:   Please don't go. They're boring. Everything that can be done at the Shareholder meeting, can be done electronically
Everything except for seeing Evelyn Davis in all her glory (well, not anymore, but I'm sure there's an Evelyn in training somewhere)
http://www.businessinsider.com/evelyn-davis-shareholder-advocate...

I take that back. I've been to one shareholder meeting. This was years ago when Mirage Resorts was a separate company. I wasn't a shareholder but I was at the Mirage Las Vegas. I happened to see a sign saying the annual shareholder meeting was in the Siegfried and Roy Theater. The start time was in about five minutes. I walked over to the theater entrance and just walked in and took a seat.

A short time later the board of directors were all seated on stage, including Steve Wynn. They talked business stuff and did mention this was a low-budget meeting. Nothing fancy and no food or drinks were served. After talking business stuff they allowed some questions and answers from the couple hundred attendees in the theater. The meeting then ended. The whole meeting was less than one hour.

That was it.

burgerwars said:   
People party in Bentonville, AR for several days.

Obligatory FW reference:

https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1267830?start=0

If you go to Berkshire you can also stock up on some decent higher end furniture for a big discount at the local Nebraska furniture mart with your annual meeting pass.

I have a share of BRKB sitting in my 401k just for the fact I get an extra $46 off my Geico insurance every 6 months for being a shareholder. They will send you out a notice to request passes to the annual shareholders meeting as long as you hold a share of stock.

daw4888 said:   If you go to Berkshire you can also stock up on some decent higher end furniture for a big discount at the local Nebraska furniture mart with your annual meeting pass.

I have a share of BRKB sitting in my 401k just for the fact I get an extra $46 off my Geico insurance every 6 months for being a shareholder. They will send you out a notice to request passes to the annual shareholders meeting as long as you hold a share of stock.

That's a nice $92 "dividend" tax free on $163 stock!

Are there other stocks that  offer such significant discounts for owning 1 stock? 
52wk High 167.25 Avg Vol 3.70 M
Low 161.51 52wk Low 123.55

needhelpplease said:   
daw4888 said:   If you go to Berkshire you can also stock up on some decent higher end furniture for a big discount at the local Nebraska furniture mart with your annual meeting pass.

That's a nice $92 "dividend" tax free on $163 stock!

Are there other stocks that  offer such significant discounts for owning 1 stock? 

52wk High 167.25 Avg Vol 3.70 M
Low 161.51 52wk Low 123.55

Ya I bought it around $115 back in 2013 or 2014.  Its saved me a nice chunk of change and easily paid for itself.

needhelpplease said:   

There is an overfilled arena full of people attending so it's unlikely you'll meet him. 

All you need is one share, but if you pm me you can have my tickets when they come, Once in a lifetime is plenty for me.

TravelerMSY said:   
needhelpplease said:   

There is an overfilled arena full of people attending so it's unlikely you'll meet him. 

All you need is one share, but if you pm me you can have my tickets when they come, Once in a lifetime is plenty.

Not to mention a town that is packed, with very high hotel costs during that week.  If you have to travel a long distance I would avoid it.  If you can make a day trip, its not a bad deal.

Many, many years ago I went to the Warner Communications annual meeting every year. They gave out a nice sampling of their products (probably worth about $100 at retail) to everyone attending. Evelyn Davis would show up to make it somewhat entertaining, but otherwise it was quite dull, but it was worth attending just for the free product.

Went to Apple shareholder meeting and saw people asking Tim Cook for help fixing their iPhones. There was a nice Apple Store on site.

Maybe this year's meeting will be at the flying saucer.

alamo11 said:   ArubaMan said:   Please don't go. They're boring. Everything that can be done at the Shareholder meeting, can be done electronically (i.e. voting on BoD members, resolutions, etc.). The only nice thing about them is that there is often free food there. Everything that management has to say about the company/entity/etc. is canned and from a script.

It's only with posting if it's more than the price of a Subway footlong. At least that used to be the rule back in the day, when I wore an onion on my belt.

needhelpplease said:   

I don't know if this is still true but Buffett didn't like people scalping tickets to the event so he used to flood eBay with tickets so they went for a few dollars. I went once in high school using a ticket from someone who actually was a shareholder. 

vranaco said:   
needhelpplease said:   

I don't know if this is still true but Buffett didn't like people scalping tickets to the event so he used to flood eBay with tickets so they went for a few dollars. I went once in high school using a ticket from someone who actually was a shareholder. 

Yeah, I went once years ago. A few times I've checked and there's usually some Berkshire Hathaway seller with passes for sale at $5 each and they've sold a few hundred. They didn't have anything really for free although I think some of the food at the concessions was pretty cheap. The hotel wasn't too crazy at the time as I booked months in advance. You don't actually get to meet him at the meeting unless you're international, but I was just a few feet from him when he showed up at a few events during that weekend. 

henry33 said:   
vranaco said:   
needhelpplease said:   

I don't know if this is still true but Buffett didn't like people scalping tickets to the event so he used to flood eBay with tickets so they went for a few dollars. I went once in high school using a ticket from someone who actually was a shareholder. 

Yeah, I went once years ago. A few times I've checked and there's usually some Berkshire Hathaway seller with passes for sale at $5 each and they've sold a few hundred. They didn't have anything really for free although I think some of the food at the concessions was pretty cheap. The hotel wasn't too crazy at the time as I booked months in advance. You don't actually get to meet him at the meeting unless you're international, but I was just a few feet from him when he showed up at a few events during that weekend. 

Free Dilly Bar if you toss a newspaper more accurately than the chairman.

Publicly traded company shareholder meetings are generally boring unless you're really into the company's nitty gritty. Sometimes free food/drinks/parking, discounted hotel rooms perhaps. Most/all info can be gleaned from investor relations part of company website as a rule.

Since all corporations, both public and private, are required to hold annual shareholder meetings, the "best" ones are generally those by small-to-medium sized private companies who take the occasion to throw a decent party. Been to a couple of those.

It seems like these meetings would be good for networking purposes, mainly with the other attendees.

its sort of like going to the dentist...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017