Background check

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I wanted to rent my condo and wanted to do a back ground check for my future tenant. could someone advise me whats the best way to do a background check and where to do.

Thanks for the help

Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Does it come with free pet mouse?

There's probably some angle in which you or they are victims of a car theft, where the car gets controlled (remotely) to crash into a mountain, killing the car thief. The police should then perform a background check on whoever's left alive.

what kind of checks generally owner does for future tenants?. I was a tenant once and landlord took my authorization to do a background check of mine, I was wondering.

coolsri202 said:   what kind of checks generally owner does for future tenants?. I was a tenant once and landlord took my authorization to do a background check of mine, I was wondering.
I use mysmartmove.com for credit criminal and evictions

I verify employment and current and past landlord

I used rentmonitor.com they use mysmartmove as well. They handle the payments, etc for the screening.

Thankyou rufflesinc and amd555 thats helpfull.

mysmartmove.com, its run by the Transunion credit bureau. The $35 version has more detailed info compared to $25 version. There were no start-up fees, just a per use one last time I used. Report was really easy to look through (and highlighted stuff needing highlighting!).

Most localities that I've seen allow this fee to be charged as part of an application fee to the prospective tenant.

Do your own reference checking (and be sure to check references!).

keep in mind mysmartmove is NOT a credit score/resident score. Besides that, it is pretty good service. I use Cozy.co and mysmartmove

jarfykk said:   
Do your own reference checking (and be sure to check references!).

In my experience, it's rare that a bad tenant has a great credit report.  References are also easy to fake.  So, I don't bother doing reference checks anymore.  Credit + Eviction + Criminal is the way to go - public records can't lie.

If you insist on reference checks, here are a couple things to look out for:

• tenant gives you their friend 's number as their fake landlord who will vouch for them
  • current landlord gives a glowing reference because the tenant is horrible and if they move to your place they will no longer be that guy's problem
  • see if the prior addresses provided match the addresses on the credit report, if not ask why not (could be as simple as using a UPS Store/PO Box but they shouldn't stumble with that answer)
  • try to find out using public records if the person/number you are calling is really the owner of the property

If the tenant says they last lived at an Apartment Complex - you can do a decent reference check (most will only allow factual/written questions such "how many times was the tenant ever late on rent" rather than the more subjective "would you rent to this tenant again").  If you are doing a reference check from an Apartment Complex, look up the complex yourself and call a publicly posted number to initiate the process.  Don't trust the number provided by the tenant (see above for their friend as a fake landlord).

I speak from experience as a real landlord and also a former "fake landlord" for a friend who needed a good reference after his old landlord wanted to charge him for a new carpet - after he spent 10 yrs in the unit.  Thanks to Google Voice the new landlord didn't even have my real number and I even used the real landlord's name on the outgoing message.

My sister starts with a standard credit check which requires tenant applicant permission. She also collects credit report fee from applicant in advance with signed permission to run credit report.

sharpie130 said:   keep in mind mysmartmove is NOT a credit score/resident score. 
  wrong, in addition to full credit report including collections, it has a TU credit score. i have pulled at least 50 of them

Cozy.co is what we used, it allows applications be made by potential renters and they can pay to get the application go thru background and criminal checks.
We do not get their SSN, etc. Cozy.co manages it, I believe they charge about 35-45 or so.

My family just uses free state court system case lookup, the registered sex offender list, and our own intuition to screen tenants.

taylor0987 said:   My family just uses free state court system case lookup
  you'd be sol for people moving from out of state. and it's basically real estate malpratice at this point not to pull credit

I don't have much to add, other than that it's vital that you both charge them for the background check and tell them that you're going to do it. Anyone who knows they're going to come up blackballed, is not going to pay nonrefundable money to find out.

TravelerMSY said:    I don't have much to add, other than that it's vital that you both charge them for the background check and tell them that you're going to do it. Anyone who knows they're going to come up blackballed, is not going to pay nonrefundable money to find out.
  I like to troll people by telling them, when they complain about the cost of the report, i'll reimburse them if they end up signing a lease 

Hey guys,
I am trying to solve the same problem as coolsri202. I would like to rent my apartment and I am looking for a quality background check. What steps should I take to get a quality background tenant check? Do I need tenant applicant permission? I am about to use this website - http://www.e-renter.com/samples/background_credit_check. Do you know it? Does any of you have experience with that? Or do you have any other recommendations? I want to find fast service for a good price. I do not really have any experience so I cannot decide which website is worth of using though. I have been looking for it last few days but haven't found much. I just lost too much time and my nerve. I run to this forum and I hope that I receive a good piece of advice. JW10 mentioned standard credit check - what do you mean by that? Is it even necessary to do background check or it is not worth the risk? I really don't know what to do. I am totally lost in this field. Thanks.

Mysmartmove.com

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017