Amazon package delivered one month late

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I ordered something for a friend and then we both forgot about it. This was in early December. I checked a few days ago and there was a "shipping delay" by USPS. I was going to call and cancel the order but forgot. Today I got the notification that the package was delivered.

My friend doesn't really need the item anymore, she bought a replacement. One month delay is excessive. Will Amazon give some kind of compensation?

I have prime but opted for the $5 credit to have regular shipping. The item was shipped on December 15th. Options? Thanks for reading.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Definitely a generational thing to post on a forum before trying to work it out yourself.

TravelerMSY (Jan. 19, 2017 @ 5:36p) |

FWF, I miss the good old days of intelligent conversation...

skwiggey (Jan. 19, 2017 @ 6:53p) |

Amazon typically gives you a choice. They can cancel the order and refund the purchase. They can also send a replacement... (more)

xit (Jan. 20, 2017 @ 5:02p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I was planning to call them. I just want to know how this is handled usually - compensationwise.

Do I need to meet my friend, pick up the package and send it back? Total value of items is around $20. Not a huge deal, more hassle than anything else.

outofgum said:   I ordered something for a friend and then we both forgot about it. This was in early December. I checked a few days ago and there was a "shipping delay" by USPS. I was going to call and cancel the order but forgot. Today I got the notification that the package was delivered.

My friend doesn't really need the item anymore, she bought a replacement. One month delay is excessive. Will Amazon give some kind of compensation?

I have prime but opted for the $5 credit to have regular shipping. The item was shipped on December 15th. Options? Thanks for reading.

I don't know, but one time I ordered a Grande pumpkin spice latte with an extra shot of espresso and they left out cinnamon.  I forgot it was suppose to come with cinnamon but I was wondering the same, will Starbucks give some kind of compensation?

Fatwallet Finance forum at it's best.

speedracer714 said:   
outofgum said:   I ordered something for a friend and then we both forgot about it. This was in early December. I checked a few days ago and there was a "shipping delay" by USPS. I was going to call and cancel the order but forgot. Today I got the notification that the package was delivered.

My friend doesn't really need the item anymore, she bought a replacement. One month delay is excessive. Will Amazon give some kind of compensation?

I don't know, but one time I ordered a Grande pumpkin spice latte with an extra shot of espresso and they left out cinnamon.  I forgot it was suppose to come with cinnamon but I was wondering the same, will Starbucks give some kind of compensation?

This would be more relevant if they made the drink 2 hours later when you already got a coffee from the dunkin donuts next door. I appreciate you relating your tale of woe in an attempt to help out.

Yes, sue them for $1mm.   How dare they deliver a late package? and are you out of gum because the gum you ordered hasn't been delivered yet?  

If I were you, I'd ask for a 12 pack of gum for your hassles.

Solved - they refunded the order. Thanks for all the help.

Definitely didn't see that coming! WP

kwest said:   Definitely didn't see that coming! WP
  Yeah, it's not like they have a solid return policy...

kwest said:   If I were you, I'd ask for a 12 pack of gum for your hassles.
  The real question is.  Can OP chew gum and handle the request at the same time?

jason745 said:   Blame your neighbor https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1548764
  My thoughts exactly.  xit has been sitting on your package for weeks grumbling about Amazon not sending someone to retrieve your package.

If you opt for the $5 slow shipping credit, you are basically saying I don't care when this thing is delivered, I'd prefer a discount for slowness. Anyways, Amazon does provide a delivery estimate for the package during checkout and when you choose this option, you can get a delivery estimate sometimes 1-2 months out. Check what your receipts and invoices say. If you were given an estimate and the package was delivered within the estimated timeframe, then I don't think you have anything to complain about. If Amazon missed the timeframe, they will typically send you an email letting you know the item is delayed. Anyways, if they blew the timeline, then I think a reasonable request would be to return the item without having to cover return shipping. Then you're made whole, don't keep an item you no longer need, and perhaps you'd even get to keep the $5 credit.

novocane said:   If you opt for the $5 slow shipping credit, you are basically saying I don't care when this thing is delivered, I'd prefer a discount for slowness. Anyways, Amazon does provide a delivery estimate for the package during checkout and when you choose this option, you can get a delivery estimate sometimes 1-2 months out. Check what your receipts and invoices say. If you were given an estimate and the package was delivered within the estimated timeframe, then I don't think you have anything to complain about. If Amazon missed the timeframe, they will typically send you an email letting you know the item is delayed. Anyways, if they blew the timeline, then I think a reasonable request would be to return the item without having to cover return shipping. Then you're made whole, don't keep an item you no longer need, and perhaps you'd even get to keep the $5 credit.
 1. Amazon only shows an "Estimated delivery" date when you choose no rush or standard shipping.  They only show a guaranteed date with 2day or 1 day shipping.
2. You can't check receipts and invoices for a guaranteed date, Amazon removed all mention of it from those a couple years ago so that you can't go to the email or order to reference that they're late.  You would need to screenshot the pages when you check out, showing the "guaranteed" date.  
3. Amazon CS can see the date you were "guaranteed" for.  Within about a week time-span, they comped me 1 month Amazon prime 3 times (3 of 4 shipments were all late.....) some time fall 2015.  Would not recommend doing this too many times though regardless of issues, unless you don't care if Amazon blacklists you.  At the time I was so fed up with their uselessly inconsistent and sluggish shipping that I was going to cancel anyways.

Don't forget to ask for your free month of prime since they were late.

Can no one handle their own petty personal "crisis" anymore without notifying the world about it? It obviously wasn't that important, since you and your friend both forgot about it.

Ah, first world problems.

evercl92 said:   Can no one handle their own petty personal "crisis" anymore without notifying the world about it? It obviously wasn't that important, since you and your friend both forgot about it.

Next post -
"Evercl was mean to me on FWF. How should I respond?"

BostonOne said:   evercl92 said:   Can no one handle their own petty personal "crisis" anymore without notifying the world about it? It obviously wasn't that important, since you and your friend both forgot about it.

Next post -
"Evercl was mean to me on FWF. How should I respond?"

"Delayed Amazon package for Fun and Profit (r)!" - 3B

forbin4040 said:   Don't forget to ask for your free month of prime since they were late.

OP didn't use Prime shipping.  

speedracer714 said:   

The answer is yes, give Starbucks a call.  They will most likely refund your purchase price to your account.

Next time, report the package as lost to Amazon if it hasn't gotten there in a week or two. You'll get a refund.  Then if it arrives, you get the item for free. At least that happened to me.

Bend3r said:   2. You can't check receipts and invoices for a guaranteed date, Amazon removed all mention of it from those a couple years ago so that you can't go to the email or order to reference that they're late.  You would need to screenshot the pages when you check out, showing the "guaranteed" date.  

What do you mean? Right now I have Prime. 2 months ago I didn't. I checked email invoices for orders placed in both of those months and they both have an "Arriving" date in the email.  

why is it Amazon fault over usps shipping? Amazon does not control what USPS does with the packages after it picked up

tantuti said:   why is it Amazon fault over usps shipping? Amazon does not control what USPS does with the packages after it picked up
  Because that's how good customer service works.  You take fault as long as it caused by any of your subs before actually reaching the customer.

LordKronos said:   Bend3r said:   2. You can't check receipts and invoices for a guaranteed date, Amazon removed all mention of it from those a couple years ago so that you can't go to the email or order to reference that they're late.  You would need to screenshot the pages when you check out, showing the "guaranteed" date.  

What do you mean? Right now I have Prime. 2 months ago I didn't. I checked email invoices for orders placed in both of those months and they both have an "Arriving" date in the email.  

"Arriving" <> "guaranteed delivery date" (wording at time of order).

If they delay it they will put a later arriving date to show up in any later emails. You are correct if you have the initial confirmation email it will retain the date there as "arriving".

The invoice on the website also does not retain the original guarantee date, they will update it to whatever date the package actually arrives.

evercl92 said:   Can no one handle their own petty personal "crisis" anymore without notifying the world about it? It obviously wasn't that important, since you and your friend both forgot about it.

Definitely a generational thing to post on a forum before trying to work it out yourself.

FWF, I miss the good old days of intelligent conversation...

Amazon typically gives you a choice. They can cancel the order and refund the purchase. They can also send a replacement. They might wonder why it took so lone to notice that you didn't receive it. good luck!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017