• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Sorry, not a finance deal, but there are some good landlord lessons in this interesting video of a "plumber" attempting to plug a leak without shutting off the mains and ending up flooding an apartment or two...

So:
- Don't ask your "plumber" to avoid the $150 water shut-off fee, risking $$ thousands in the process.
- Hire an actual certified plumber (who would not try to save you that $150 in the first place), instead of a random handyman.

Also, are there really apartments out there that don't have an easily accessible water valve? If so, why? And shouldn't landlords add such a valve anyway to avoid problems down the road?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Hmm...Not all bathroom sinks have the overflow hole.

see here

Veeekay (Jan. 27, 2017 @ 3:13a) |

We already had the shutoff valve before the water meter. But it is pretty difficult to turn it off (my wife would not be... (more)

oko (Jan. 28, 2017 @ 9:37p) |

Plus, if you're tied up in real estate, you can really run into liquidity problems!

DrDubious (Jan. 29, 2017 @ 5:53a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Ecuadorgr said:   Sorry, not a finance deal, but there are some good landlord lessons in this interesting video of a "plumber" attempting to plug a leak without shutting off the mains and ending up flooding an apartment or two...

So:
- Don't ask your "plumber" to avoid the $150 water shut-off fee, risking $$ thousands in the process.
- Hire an actual certified plumber (who would not try to save you that $150 in the first place), instead of a random handyman.

Also, are there really apartments out there that don't have an easily accessible water valve? If so, why? And shouldn't landlords add such a valve anyway to avoid problems down the road?

Cool story, bro.

Where can I find your blog again?

rated:
rmf1981 said:   
  Cool story, bro.

Where can I find your blog again?

My blog is about astrophotography, so I couldn't really put it there, could I?
Did you actually watch the linked video? I thought it would have great entertainment & educational value for the FWF crowd... My bad

rated:
​Wow.  Uncle Billy might know a lot, and be a willing advisor, but if Billy is not a plumber, Billy should be kept hands-off. 

rated:
I watched the whole 14 min video. I love the woman w/ the vacuum cleaner who valiantly tries to suck up all the water.

It seems like the plumber at some point takes off and never comes back.

rated:
Worst nightmare huh. A realtor told me about a property they managed where the tenant turned off the water/utilities and they did their move out inspection. Everything as planned. The management company/owner then contacts utilities to have service turned on and place gets flooded. Got flooded because the tub water valve was turned on and the stopper pushed closed. Obviously when the water got turned on nobody was there as the place was then vacant. I think they found out because water was coming out the front door of the house alerting neighbors. Since I heard that story I always check the fixtures etc...

rated:
JaxFL said:   Worst nightmare huh. A realtor told me about a property they managed where the tenant turned off the water/utilities and they did their move out inspection. Everything as planned. The management company/owner then contacts utilities to have service turned on and place gets flooded. Got flooded because the tub water valve was turned on and the stopper pushed closed. Obviously when the water got turned on nobody was there as the place was then vacant. I think they found out because water was coming out the front door of the house alerting neighbors. Since I heard that story I always check the fixtures etc...
i once had a place vandalized that I was in the process of renovating. Not only did they haul off the appliances and all my tools, but they opened the washing machine valve and flooded the place. neighbor saw water coming out the door and notified me.

and then there's the 4-odd times I've had actual floods in my houses.

Ah, New Orleans. (I'm leaving in a couple months!)

rated:
Ecuadorgr said:   
-

What is this about a $150 fee to shut off the water?

rated:
rufflesinc said:   
Ecuadorgr said:   
-

I lived in two condo buildings that didn't have separately metered water. In order to shut off the water to a unit, you had to shut off the water for the entire building.

I assume that association charges the fee to minimize non-emergency shut offs.

rated:
Plumber not very smart..... Every plumber should have a shark bite fitting value in their tool box.

rated:
joe the plumber worried about losing obamacare. Lots on his mind

rated:
JaxFL said:   Worst nightmare huh. A realtor told me about a property they managed where the tenant turned off the water/utilities and they did their move out inspection. Everything as planned. The management company/owner then contacts utilities to have service turned on and place gets flooded. Got flooded because the tub water valve was turned on and the stopper pushed closed. Obviously when the water got turned on nobody was there as the place was then vacant. I think they found out because water was coming out the front door of the house alerting neighbors. Since I heard that story I always check the fixtures etc...

I don't believe the realtor's story. Even if the stopper was pushed shut, there is an overflow hole towards the top of the tub to prevent the overflow hole and that cannot be pushed shut. Same for the bathroom sink.

rated:
stanolshefski said:   rufflesinc said:   
Ecuadorgr said:   
-

I lived in two condo buildings that didn't have separately metered water. In order to shut off the water to a unit, you had to shut off the water for the entire building.

Yikes. For $50 a unit they could have had valves installed at construction. I cannot imagine living in a place where you didn't have an individual shutoff valve.

rated:
ach1199 said:   

I don't believe the realtor's story. Even if the stopper was pushed shut, there is an overflow hole towards the top of the tub to prevent the overflow hole and that cannot be pushed shut. Same for the bathroom sink.

Thats true. Maybe it was a sink. I know my cultured marble sink doesn't have an overflow.

rated:
solarUS said:   
i once had a place vandalized that I was in the process of renovating. Not only did they haul off the appliances and all my tools, but they opened the washing machine valve and flooded the place. neighbor saw water coming out the door and notified me.

Leaving!!  How does one leave once youve immersed yourself in the real estate game.  Id like to leave but dont know how I could do so without having to come back for this or that, and then Id have to hire out more work, tenant placement...

rated:
stanolshefski said:   
rufflesinc said:   
Ecuadorgr said:   
-

The only thing more stupid than having that fee to shut off water, is not to have a shut-off at each unit. I've got a warehouse condo and needed the water off for plumbing work. Craigslist plumber couldn't find the shut-off valve for unit and the condo association was no help in locating it. Had to turn off the water at the meter and for probably 20 condos. Of course plumber didn't have big enough tool to reach the meter 4 foot underground. So I end up buying one for myself. Thing is taller than me and must weigh 30 pounds. Rescheduled the job for a Sunday at 6PM.

rated:
ach1199 said:   

I've seen plenty of tubs without an overflow. Even if an overflow exists (tub or sink) and isn't clogged, it can easily be overwhelmed by a faucet running full force at 50 PSI, allowing a flood anyway.

rated:
JaxFL said:   
solarUS said:   

Leaving!!  How does one leave once youve immersed yourself in the real estate game.  Id like to leave but dont know how I could do so without having to come back for this or that, and then Id have to hire out more work, tenant placement...

I expect to return several times a year....but will also have a handyman here to take care of things I can't get to.

I am resigning from my day job. Plan is to just do rehabs etc in the new place. Should have plenty of time.

I'm also selling off a number of my places in nola where it makes sense to do so.

rated:
I had one where the downstairs babysitter called the parents about leak from upstairs. The mother said NOT to tell the upstairs people and to wait the two hours for them to come home. Obviously, the downstairs flooded for two hours. The mother was pissed that her unit was flooded.

rated:
  My water company tests the water before turning it on.  They can tell from outside if there is a faucet on inside the home.  They will not turn the water on unless the homeowner is home when they knock on the door. 

rated:
JaxFL said:   Worst nightmare huh. A realtor told me about a property they managed where the tenant turned off the water/utilities and they did their move out inspection. Everything as planned. The management company/owner then contacts utilities to have service turned on and place gets flooded.

Good thing the management company didn't have the gas turned on without anyone home too. 

rated:
NEDeals said:   
ach1199 said:   

I've seen plenty of tubs without an overflow. Even if an overflow exists (tub or sink) and isn't clogged, it can easily be overwhelmed by a faucet running full force at 50 PSI, allowing a flood anyway.

The contractor that built my building messed up the install of the tub and water was leaking from the overflow valve to the units below it. As a quick fix the management decided to caulk all the overflow valve shut in every unit. I cleaned that crap out and installed a better gasket. Dunno why they didn't just do that in the first place. So it can happen even in newer units.

Can't say that plumper didn't try haha. 
ALso, what the hell were they trying to repair. All the piping below the sink is gone and it looks like they pushed the vacuum hose into the dry wall. 

rated:
I lived in CT in a house that was converted to apartments. We needed a shower valve replaced, but the shutoff in the basement and at the street were corroded and couldn't be turned off.

The water company had to turn off water for the whole block and tear up the road to replace the valve. They also tore up a big chunk of our neighbor's yard in the process. The neighbor's basement valves were just as bad as ours, and when the water was turned back on for the block the neighbor's valves failed and their basement flooded.

So the neighbor's basement flooded because I wanted a new shower handle.

rated:
zulugrid said:   So the neighbor's basement flooded because I wanted a new shower handle.
  So how does that make you feel?

rated:
atikovi said:   
zulugrid said:   So the neighbor's basement flooded because I wanted a new shower handle.

I'm wondering if he told the neighbor the whole story?

rated:
atikovi said:   

Probably that the world is a random and unforgiving place - the only reasonable way to feel.

rated:
lol, 100 gallons/minute coming out of the leak and the poor woman with the carpet cleaner which sucks up maybe 1 gallon/minute desperately trying to keep up. I shouldn't laugh..but I am.

rated:
atikovi said:   

i've replaced shower handles without turning off the water to the shower. In fact, the two showers are newer houses that don't have individual shutoffs for the showers

why go thru replacing the valve if all you wanted was a new handle?

rated:
rufflesinc said:   
atikovi said:   

i've replaced shower handles without turning off the water to the shower. In fact, the two showers are newer houses that don't have individual shutoffs for the showers

I've had plumbers look at my shower valve and they were unable to determine the exact make and model.  So in order to change the handle, I'd have to change the valve but to do that I'd have to cut and ruin the acrylic wall.

rated:
millervtranger said:   lol, 100 gallons/minute coming out of the leak and the poor woman with the carpet cleaner which sucks up maybe 1 gallon/minute desperately trying to keep up. I shouldn't laugh..but I am.
  It's like a really bad movie where the jokes are so crappy they're funny.

rated:
qcumber98 said:   
rufflesinc said:   
atikovi said:   

I've had plumbers look at my shower valve and they were unable to determine the exact make and model.  So in order to change the handle, I'd have to change the valve but to do that I'd have to cut and ruin the acrylic wall.

idk, but it seems like it would be cheaper to order a bunch of handles fitting different valves (all looking like the kind of handle you want) online and then just trial and error to see which one fits. then just return the rest.

rated:
As funny (sad) as that is I cannot imagine what it looked like in the lower apartment. I had a dishwasher hose burst and when I went down to the basement to close the main shutoff valve is was like a monsoon.

rated:
rufflesinc said:   
qcumber98 said:   
rufflesinc said:   
atikovi said:   

idk, but it seems like it would be cheaper to order a bunch of handles fitting different valves (all looking like the kind of handle you want) online and then just trial and error to see which one fits. then just return the rest.

I was the tenant. Saving the landlord money wasn't a high priority for me.

That said, the hot water handle was finicky. You had to sort of push and turn at the same time to get it to work, and it was getting progressively worse. There wasn't a separate shut off for the shower. I don't think it was possible to fix without turning off the water.

rated:
Ecuadorgr said:   Sorry, not a finance deal, but there are some good landlord lessons in this interesting video of a "plumber" attempting to plug a leak without shutting off the mains and ending up flooding an apartment or two...

Irony that the website this video is posted to is liveleak.com?

I love how she keeps trying to suck up the water ... and the guy who thinks they should call the police?

rated:
Thanks OP. That was fun for the whole family. Even my 6yo daughter was laughing and yelling TURN OFF THE WATER!!!!

Despite his stupidity, I almost feel sorry for the plumber. At some point I heard someone say it was hot, and you could see the water steaming. I didn't see him melting or screaming in agony, so the landlord must not have had the hot turned up too high, but still...it couldn't have been fun.

Regarding the lower apartment, I think I know what it looked like. Many years ago, a friend needed the roof done. He had a buddy at work that did roofing on the side and was going to do it cheap. Part of the deal was that my friend was responsible for ripping off the roof (other guy would supply all the tools and everything except tear off labor). My friend calls me up and say its taking longer than he thought...can I come over and help. So I go over there. We're ripping off the roof, about 3/4 done, and you can see the Sky getting dark off in the distance. The buddy from work shows up and is like "just get some plastic and lay the tools on top of it to hold it down". Yep, thats right...he gave us no tarps and thought putting a dozen shovels other assorted tools would hold down whatever plastic we could round up (there were no shingles on sight yet). Friend gets some plastic from the hardware store. We tried nailing it down with some wood strips, but suffice it to say the storm came in before we could secure it and we watched it fly away. Rain came down shortly thereafter, and I learned what it looks like to have a waterfall come out of every light fixture. Interior was destroyed. Not sure what effect it had on his homeowners insurance, but they covered the whole thing and he got a complete interior redo on a fairly old house (replaced drywall, flooring, kitchen cabinets, appliances, etc)

rated:
rlcrisp said:   
atikovi said:   

Probably that the world is a random and unforgiving place - the only reasonable way to feel.

Don't you mean "It must have been part of God's plan to flood his neighbor's basement!"?  If we explain it this way then we can all feel better now that we know the neighbor's money is now in a better place.

rated:
My university's recreation center has an indoor pool on the ground level and an entire floor of six basketball courts above it. Commercial fire system of course.

Do you know what happens when a basketball hits one of those fire nozzles? You flood the Olympic pool below it. The power from those things is incredible and the cost to redo that entire section of the facility was insane. The power from residential plumbing is nothing compared to those fire heads.

rated:
wilesmt said:   My university's recreation center has an indoor pool on the ground level and an entire floor of six basketball courts above it. Commercial fire system of course.

Do you know what happens when a basketball hits one of those fire nozzles? You flood the Olympic pool below it. The power from those things is incredible and the cost to redo that entire section of the facility was insane. The power from residential plumbing is nothing compared to those fire heads.

I know it still makes logical sense (they may spray on things other than the pool or the pool may be emptied of water, etc), but I still find it funny that a pool of water requires fire suppression systems directly above it to spray water to put out a fire that may occur in the pool of water.

rated:
mods:

could we get FWF split into "Finance: Hot Deals" & "Finance: Misc."?

that would allow old timers to talk about house pluming (Ecuadorgr), home burglaries (zennuts), and Radio Shack (redwolf), without polluting a forum for the rest of us.

Skipping 42 Messages...
rated:
JaxFL said:   
  Leaving!!  How does one leave once youve IMMERSED yourself in the real estate game.  Id like to leave but dont know how I could do so without having to come back for this or that, and then Id have to hire out more work, tenant placement...

Plus, if you're tied up in real estate, you can really run into liquidity problems!

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017