Restaurant Discount for Seeing Rats

Archived From: Finance
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Watch: Seeing a rat earns eatery patron a 30.95 discount - UPI.com
Disclaimer
A woman noticed a rat scurrying around her feet while dining at Fat's Asian Bistro in Folsom, California.  Upon pointing out the rancorous rodent to restaurant staff, she received an apparently  typical SEEN RAT discount at Fat's for $30.95 on her bill. 
Has anything bad ever happened to you at a restaurant?  (Bugs in the soup, wine spilled on a dress, rodents running around the restaurant, etc). What did the restaurant offer, and what did you request? 

Also, because this is FWF, do you calculate your tip percentage before the SEEN RAT discount, or after? 

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2017/01/23/California-restaurant-rec...

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
pics or it didn't happen

rufflesinc (Jan. 25, 2017 @ 5:50p) |

Brother Pizza, used to be off South Olive (yrs ago) in the old Publix Plaza, Just South of Forest Hill Blvd on S. Olive.... (more)

lawomanim1 (Jan. 25, 2017 @ 6:45p) |

No he doesn't -- Chipotle and Taco Bell are major FF chains. It doesn't mean much.

(and I love Chipotle)

scripta (Jan. 27, 2017 @ 12:53p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Pizza rat got 100% off a slice on the subway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPXUG8q4jKU

You couldn't pay me enough.

10% off your bill and a free pet rat!

The places in my part of town charge extra for rats.

A $31 discount for a rat? Wow. Must have been a big rat?

You could... save a lot of money if you trained a pet rat to run around the restaurant, then back to your car in the parking lot!

(in case you didn't RTFA, an exterminator and health inspector visited the location and found no evidence of infestation).

I was at a restaurant, and my food comes out with a large fingernail clipping on top. Like someone just clipped their thumbnail in the kitchen.
Love how they ask, do you want me to get you new ones?
I never do. Once it goes back, no more coming out.

They aren't on the menu? As in, it must have escaped its cage in the pantry.

band-aid in a sushi roll at Ru-Sans
got nothing because the manager assumed we put the bandaid in the roll ourself and none of the kitchen staff was "missing a bandaid"

imbatman said:   band-aid in a sushi roll at Ru-Sans
got nothing because the manager assumed we put the bandaid in the roll ourself and none of the kitchen staff was "missing a bandaid"

take pic and post on their yelp. disgusting!

scottvm said:   
Love how they ask, do you want me to get you new ones?
I never do. Once it goes back, no more coming out.

This. Unless you're at a very very highend restaurant and just asking for something to be heated more, it's incredibly risky to send back a Dish for a "new" one

On a serious note. I used to run a larger chain restaurant, and when we had rodents in the dining room (it happens) -- our deal w/ the exterminator was that they would pay the check and we would not charge the customer. Obviously we didn't advertise it, and the customer never knew we charged the vendor for it. It was a great way to get the exterminator out double-pronto...you could count on them to be on-site within an hour anytime we called them. We had a large national account, but I could see in this situation maybe the vendor reimbursed a certain amount if there are pest problems with customers.

ryoung81 said:   On a serious note. I used to run a larger chain restaurant, and when we had rodents in the dining room (it happens) -- our deal w/ the exterminator was that they would pay the check and we would not charge the customer. Obviously we didn't advertise it, and the customer never knew we charged the vendor for it. It was a great way to get the exterminator out double-pronto...you could count on them to be on-site within an hour anytime we called them.
  this is a confusing narrative, I read it five times . it is not clear who is the diners, who is the exterminator and who is the restaurant managers so what exactly was the deal being made?

rufflesinc said:   
ryoung81 said:   On a serious note. I used to run a larger chain restaurant, and when we had rodents in the dining room (it happens) -- our deal w/ the exterminator was that they would pay the check and we would not charge the customer. Obviously we didn't advertise it, and the customer never knew we charged the vendor for it. It was a great way to get the exterminator out double-pronto...you could count on them to be on-site within an hour anytime we called them.
  this is a confusing narrative, I read it five times . it is not clear who is the diners, who is the exterminator and who is the restaurant managers so what exactly was the deal being made?

gee whiz ruffles.... Restaurant contract with exterminator provided that exterminator would reimburse comped checks from diners who saw rodents in the dining room.

ryoung81 said:   
rufflesinc said:   

gee whiz ruffles.... Restaurant contract with exterminator provided that exterminator would reimburse comped checks from diners who saw rodents in the dining room.

that makes less sense
. It was a great way to get the exterminator out double-pronto...you could count on them to be on-site within an hour anytime we called them.
Why would an exterminator be motivated to come out in an hour if the exterminator had to pay for every diners comped checks? ( and yeah, if a woman sees a rat and screams, every diner will see the rat) Maybe if you ran mcdonalds but I can't see it working if you ran ruth chris

i got a 100% free meal for the whole family when a cockroach messed our meal. the cockroach was running all over the table and our seats for a few minutes making my kids scream and run. we vacated tha table and I called the manager. this was at a RED ROBIN btw

I received a roach in my Chinese take-out one time. I didn't find out until I got home, and when I did I almost vomited. The restaurant asked if I wanted another and I said no, but they made me return it to the restaurant to get a refund. It was General Tso, so I almost missed it since it was covered in a dark sauce. I would have likely died if I actually bit in to it!

It really sucked since I loved the place, but after the roach, never again.

rufflesinc said:   

Makes complete sense to me and I'd be willing to bet it's grammatically correct.

Bolded 'they' obviously refers to the exterminator mentioned three words prior.
Bolded 'customer' is obviously the customer, no idea why that would confuse you.
Bolded 'vendor' is the exterminator, as it's obviously not the restaurant and obviously not the customer so it must be the exterminator - there are no other parties involved.
Bolded 'we' is obviously the 'large chain restaurant' as the post is written from that point of view.

Perhaps you should brush up on your English / grammar with all the spare time you have to instigate arguments on FW...

ChinaRider said:   
rufflesinc said:   

Makes complete sense to me and I'd be willing to bet it's grammatically correct.

Bolded 'they' obviously refers to the exterminator mentioned three words prior.
Bolded 'customer' is obviously the customer, no idea why that would confuse you.
Bolded 'vendor' is the exterminator, as it's obviously not the restaurant and obviously not the customer so it must be the exterminator - there are no other parties involved.
Bolded 'we' is obviously the 'large chain restaurant' as the post is written from that point of view.

Perhaps you should brush up on your English / grammar with all the spare time you have to instigate arguments on FW...

I'm not interested in the english/grammar of the post. As this is FWF, i'm interested in the underlying business model. Based on my best possible interpretation of the OP, the business model made no sense

I never said it was grammatically incorrect. Only ambiguous 

rufflesinc said:   
ryoung81 said:   
rufflesinc said:   

that makes less sense
. It was a great way to get the exterminator out double-pronto...you could count on them to be on-site within an hour anytime we called them.
Why would an exterminator be motivated to come out in an hour if the exterminator had to pay for every diners comped checks? ( and yeah, if a woman sees a rat and screams, every diner will see the rat) Maybe if you ran mcdonalds but I can't see it working if you ran ruth chris

Our average check was around $65 for two people.  So no, not a high dollar steakhouse, but not McDonalds.  In reality I'm sure there were reimbursements limits in the contract, but I never saw reductions on the P&L.  Although I didn't try to take advantage of it either, they stayed fairly diligent so it did not happen very often.

As the most argumentative guy on the forum, maybe you could occasionally take peoples comments at face value.

ryoung81 said:   
rufflesinc said:   
ryoung81 said:   
rufflesinc said:   

that makes less sense

Our average check was around $65 for two people.  So no, not a high dollar steakhouse, but not McDonalds.  In reality I'm sure there were reimbursements limits in the contract, but I never saw reductions on the P&L.  Although I didn't try to take advantage of it either, they stayed fairly diligent so it did not happen very often.

Still doesn't explain why they would be motivated to rush out if they had to reimburse checks. $65x20 tables =$1300

Even if only one table at $65, an exterimator call costs less than $200. so ?!??!?!!
As the most argumentative guy on the forum, maybe you could occasionally take peoples comments at face value.
That is what I did, but your face value doesn't make financial sense

What happens is you strap a rat to hood of remote control car and drive into restaurant for profit?

iseetrails said:   What happens is you strap a rat to hood of remote control car and drive into restaurant for profit?
  strap a gopro on the rat head and post vid on youtube with appropriate soundtrack. make money on the views

rufflesinc said:   
ryoung81 said:   
rufflesinc said:   
ryoung81 said:   
rufflesinc said:   

that makes less sense

Still doesn't explain why they would be motivated to rush out if they had to reimburse checks. $65x20 tables =$1300

Even if only one table at $65, an exterimator call costs less than $200. so ?!??!?!!

I never tried to take advantage of them in this way.  I also never comped 20 tables, c'mon.  You are obviously just trying to take the example to the most extreme place possible.  I'm sure it sucked for the other diners around them, but we would comp the people that had the issue (roach on a table, mouse under the table, whatever).  It wasn't an typical occurrence, and as a good operator -- you always minimize the loss.  Seriously...who would comp a whole restaurant.

rufflesinc said:   
ryoung81 said:   
rufflesinc said:   
ryoung81 said:   
rufflesinc said:   

that makes less sense

rufflesinc, I'd be willing to wager that the restaurant paid a higher rate for the extermination company, and part of the agreement was "if patrons see (rats, mice, roaches, etc) the extermination company has to reimburse the restaurant for the cost."  Unfortunately, this probably does NOT cover the cost of lost business.

Think of it as paying more for a "better" service, but if the service isn't better (by way of complaining customers) the exterminator eats (ha!) the bill.

ryoung81 said:   
rufflesinc said:   
ryoung81 said:   
rufflesinc said:   
ryoung81 said:   
rufflesinc said:   

that makes less sense

I never tried to take advantage of them in this way.  I also never comped 20 tables, c'mon.  You are obviously just trying to take the example to the most extreme place possible.  I'm sure it sucked for the other diners around them, but we would comp the people that had the issue (roach on a table, mouse under the table, whatever).  It wasn't an typical occurrence, and as a good operator -- you always minimize the loss.  Seriously...who would comp a whole restaurant.

but that's not what you said
Restaurant contract with exterminator provided that exterminator would reimburse comped checks from diners who saw rodents in the dining room.
I hope you didn't have such a crazy deal with the lawyer that drafted this agreement!

PhDeez said:   

Think of it as paying more for a "better" service, but if the service isn't better (by way of complaining customers) the exterminator eats (ha!) the bill.

That makes sense, but it still doesn't explain why the exterminator would rush out if they knew they'd be eating the bill

As a landlord who often needs contractors ASAP , this kind of agreement would make them laugh in my face

rufflesinc said:   
PhDeez said:   

That makes sense, but it still doesn't explain why the exterminator would rush out if they knew they'd be eating the bill

As a landlord who often needs contractors ASAP , this kind of agreement would make them laugh in my face

Agreement: Pay the exterminator $XXX per month to keep rats out of restaurant. Contract stipulates that, if a customer sees a rat, the exterminator pays for their meal. The exterminator has a very high incentive for there to be no rats. If there are rats, they have incentive to deal with them asap to minimize the number of meals they pay for.

rufflesinc said:   
PhDeez said:   

It was likely contracted with a larger company where they could shuffle calls around and accommodate such circumstances, or maybe they had multiple restaurants with the same deal and had one guy "on-call" just for that- or left padding in one employee's schedule.

I really doubt it was a 1-man-show type company.  As a landlord, I'm sure you look for the "best value" contractors where they are normally overbooked or spread thin.  Would you consider contracting someone that cost 2-3x as much to provide on-call type service?  Are you a national chain with a "reputation" to keep?

PhDeez said:   
As a landlord, I'm sure you look for the "best value" contractors where they are normally overbooked or spread thin.  Would you consider contracting someone that cost 2-3x as much to provide on-call type service? 

There are certain situations where I would absolutely pay a contractor 2-3x to come asap . Examples: backed up drain with sewage coming up, power out to half the house (including all of kitchen), furnace out with outside temp in subzero or single digits, tree fall on house,  etc etc. The first three have actually happened to me.

First off, you can see the full receipt here 

A few things that jump out

1. The discount of $30.95 is equal to the price of the Dim Sum Basket ($16.70) and Vegetable Chow Mein ($14.25), so perhaps that is where the odd dollar value came from?
  2. There are suggested tip amounts on the bottom of the receipt, which are actually calculated on the post-rat discount and before sales tax.

I don't have any horror stories to contribute, but generally if the food is screwed up and is comped to me, I'll tip on the full amount assuming the waiter showed at least some skill in dealing with the problem. It is rarely their fault for stuff like this that goes wrong, so why penalize them?
Klinker Brick Zinfandel (2@11.50) $23.00
Karl Strauss Red Trolley $6.75
Pepsi $3.25
Root beer $3.25
Dim Sum Basket $16.70
Vegetable Chow Mein $14.25
Orange Chicken $17.75
Genghis Khan Beef $19.85
Garlic Green Beans $12.00
White Rice (2 @$0.00) $0.00
PR Food, Name: SEEN RAT -$30.95
Subtotal $85.85
Tax $6.65
Total $92.50

I may have a psychopath/serial killer as a kid.. lol he saw a rat/mouse in the lobby of a theater and instead of freaking out (hes 5 years old) he stomped the fvck out of it..

rufflesinc said:   
PhDeez said:   
As a landlord, I'm sure you look for the "best value" contractors where they are normally overbooked or spread thin.  Would you consider contracting someone that cost 2-3x as much to provide on-call type service? 

There are certain situations where I would absolutely pay a contractor 2-3x to come asap . Examples: backed up drain with sewage coming up, power out to half the house (including all of kitchen), furnace out with outside temp in subzero or single digits, tree fall on house,  etc etc. The first three have actually happened to me.

still missing the point... you have to pay them 2-3x for EVERY service call, not just the inconvenient ones.  That's how you become the "best" customer- line the contractor's pockets with dat $$.

"Certain Situations" doesn't qualify.  This falls in line with why larger apartment complexes have maintenance people living on-site in addition to their pay, they are always available.

PhDeez said:   

still missing the point... you have to pay them 2-3x for EVERY service call, not just the inconvenient ones.  That's how you become the "best" customer- line the contractor's pockets with dat $$.

I don't need to sign a contract for that. simple supply and demand (and my own experience with plumbers and HVAC in particular) means the contractors charging 2-3x the lowest rate will be available on short notice. And since they KNOW their rate is 2-3x , I become their "best" customer ATM 

So I just use the expensive guys for the urgent calls, the cheap ones for the calls that can wait

"Certain Situations" doesn't qualify.  This falls in line with why larger apartment complexes have maintenance people living on-site in addition to their pay, they are always available.

Those people are on salary and will be doing SOME WORK even if there's no specific repair to be done

Went to a restaurant with my wife and ordered drinks. My whiskey comes out and I go to stir it but see things swirling around in the glass, turns out they were bugs. We immediately tell the waitress, who then brings me new drink. The wife and I talk it over and decide to leave. We tell the manager we're leaving and he actually asks 'is it becasue of the bugs in the drink?' I said yes and we walked out the door.

e60mmmmm said:   I may have a psychopath/serial killer as a kid.. lol he saw a rat/mouse in the lobby of a theater and instead of freaking out (hes 5 years old) he stomped the fvck out of it..
  na, he's fine.  i taught my daughter to stomp bugs around that age.  she was a killer.  then she sees my wife freak out over a roach, now she's 'scared of roaches'.  silly.

Spooie said:   Went to a restaurant with my wife and ordered drinks. My whiskey comes out and I go to stir it but see things swirling around in the glass, turns out they were bugs. We immediately tell the waitress, who then brings me new drink. The wife and I talk it over and decide to leave. We tell the manager we're leaving and he actually asks 'is it becasue of the bugs in the drink?' I said yes and we walked out the door.
  Those were probably fruit flies.  If you don't cover or cap dark liquors at the end of the day you'll get flies.  Happened at a bar I worked at.  We strained the flies out and refilled the bottles.  Yes, gross.

Two free meal stories:  First one was a loaded nachos in Hoboken.  Wifey and I were enjoying a nice meal away from the kids and saw a cricket in our Nachos.  We were two beers in and other food was on the way, so we just said to hell with it and finished our meal anyway.  They comped the Nachos only. 

Second was at a chain type place in Universal Studios in Florida... maybe Jimmy Buffets.  We're sitting on the top deck outside seating and our Appetizers come out.  Being Universal Studios there is constant entertainment so some dude comes up to our deck dressed in stilts and a sort of clownish outfit.  He's entertaining this kid a few tables over and the dad puts the kid on an empty table so she can get a closer look at the stilts clown thing.  The hostess at that time was bringing a group over to sit at the table the kid was standing on (it was pretty crowded).  So the dad doesn't move his kid who is standing on this table and the group is just sort of standing there waiting for them to move.  Eventually some words are exchanged... then heated words.  Then shouting.  Then fisticuffs are pulled out and flying fast and hard.  

The fist fight turns into a wrestling match and these guys, who started off about 15 feet away managed to tornado the whole upper deck, including my table.  They knocked our table over, but I saved my wings.  We had just gotten our apps, so I'm standing there holding a plate of wings and our table and pretty much all other tables are overturned.  After all the dust settled I ate the wings while my girlfriend at the time gave a statement to the police.  We left without eating, but walked around the whole park and couldn't find another spot we liked, so we went back and were like... we just want a meal.  So we ordered all our food and when the bill came the manager came out and said no need to worry about this one... and that's how I got two orders of wings that one time at Universal. 

MDfive21 said:   
e60mmmmm said:   I may have a psychopath/serial killer as a kid.. lol he saw a rat/mouse in the lobby of a theater and instead of freaking out (hes 5 years old) he stomped the fvck out of it..
  na, he's fine.  i taught my daughter to stomp bugs around that age.  she was a killer.  then she sees my wife freak out over a roach, now she's 'scared of roaches'.  silly.

Wait til a roach crawls into your ear while you're sleeping.

Skipping 38 Messages...
rufflesinc said:   iLoveTahoe said:   I find this thread very disturbing... and it doesn't help that I've eaten at that exact restaurant several times!
trump does have a point about cleaniness and only eating at major FF chains, kfc, mcdonalds etc
No he doesn't -- Chipotle and Taco Bell are major FF chains. It doesn't mean much.

(and I love Chipotle)

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017