• filter:

SOS Get out of "timeshare" in first 24 hours

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Quick question, my parents are in Mexico. They didn't fall for purchasing a time share, but they did fall for the next round down product, some crappy travel discount plan, $3k up front for $3k in credits to all the properties, 20 years of the right to buy "weeks" at resorts etc etc etc Garbage

I told them to go back and cancel. They did. They have it in writing. Says if the credit doesn't appear in 20 days to call so and so in Mexico or email etc

Question: should they preemptively open a dispute with their cc today as well and instruct not to pay since they have cancellation in hand? Pros/cons? I could care less what effect this has on the slime ball company selling this stuff in Mexico

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Hmm...if you did that they might 'hold' your parents for Fraud.

Don't forget a CC chargeback is not a legal document for protection. It just means you have to deal with the seller directly.

rated:
Thanks for the prompt response! I didn't know how the charge back process worked. They called Chase and are going to wait 20 days to make sure the credit posts before opening a dispute with the cancellation letter they have.

rated:
Disputing would only be fraud if they denied making the transaction. If a dispute is needed (Why not wait and see if the money is returned? 20 days sounds excessive though) Put the actual truth. "Purchase was made because they were pressured. Refund was offered. Disputing charge because refund has not been received." Include copy of the document confirming the cancellation of agreement and offering refund.

Keep a copy of the document the company provided in case anything ever shows up on Credit Report. Unlikely since this happened in Mexico, but it can happen.

Edit to add:  In 20 days expect more excuses from the company.

rated:
as I said earlier, a Chargeback just removed 'Chase' from the deal. If they felt that your parents issued a Chargeback BEFORE the refund was expected, and they know a few people in the government, they would've had a solid case of fraud. Don't think that Chase will 'fight for you' they would just wash their hands of the deal.

rated:
Don't know the laws in Mexico, but 20 days is way too long. I'd give them 3. Perhaps the timeline is spelled out in whatever they signed.

rated:
Call credit card company today and dispute the charge mention you canceled your perches within there cancellation period.

rated:
leedsutd67 said:   Call credit card company today and dispute the charge mention you canceled your perches within there cancellation period.

scripta said:   Don't know the laws in Mexico, but 20 days is way too long. I'd give them 3. Perhaps the timeline is spelled out in whatever they signed.

Could be. Chase advised to wait the 20 days and open dispute if no credit.

rated:
Make sure they meet all the terms of cancelation including returning everything received like marketing materials.

Don't want him to get the refund in 20 days less $500 for not returning something.

Are they dealing with a US chain down there or someone local / less know / shady? And yes there are different levels of shady even in the timeshare world.

rated:
No need for a pre-emptive chargeback, waiting a couple of weeks isn't going to hurt their case and in fact shows that they worked with the merchant in good faith.

If they don't get the credit within 20 days, then file the chargeback. They should do it in writing to the address for billing disputes on the statement. They should keep it simple: "We cancelled this purchase within 24 hours after making it, attached is the copy of our paperwork showing the merchant agreed to a full refund, we have not received the refund from he merchant."

Slam-dunk win.

rated:
scrouds said:   Make sure they meet all the terms of cancelation including returning everything received like marketing materials.

Don't want him to get the refund in 20 days less $500 for not returning something.

Are they dealing with a US chain down there or someone local / less know / shady? And yes there are different levels of shady even in the timeshare world.

The product was the Pueblo Bonito Passport Program which appears to be an exit package after you say no the timeshare spiel; I think I saw Arizona somewhere in their paperwork, but I'm not positive.

This thread has good details on it:
http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/pueblo-bonito-passpor... 
The 399/week rate quoted is possible but seldom is ever available. What they show you is not real time inventory and is never really bookable even though they say they can book it right now. The ICE program has been sold by PBS for over 5 years. I reviewed it as part of a PBS purchase and then rescinded the entire purchase because ICE was not even close to what was being sold. We bought a studio contract in the secondary market for under $100. 

The no annual fee part is good but make sure it's forever not 1-3 years. The bonus week (if a winter week) is worth about $600 for a studio or $850 for a 1 bedroom unit as that is the current MF. One bedroom MFs are high at PBS and inflate yearly as it does in most of Cabo regardless of what real inflation/deflation is.

If you really like PBS (we do) buy a secondary market contract w/o the ICE extras and enjoy the resort for just the cost of the MF and help a fellow owner get out of a 30 year commitment.

BEWARE all contracts written during the last 5 years have an every 5 year refurbishment fee equal to an additional MF which makes the actual net MF 20% higher when considered. IF you buy a secondary contract, look for an older contract without this additional refurbishment junk fee.

rated:
The 100% refund posted today, approx 12 days into their 20-day waiting period.  No need for dispute...

rated:
Are you the real Icecube?

rated:
Delete

rated:
fourchar said:   I wouldn't wait. 20 days is how much time they need the payment to clear into there bank and withdraw it then open up a new MID under a new signer. Some companies do this literally every week. If they can get you to wait a few weeks to call your bank they are golden.  One of the protections banks will put on new MIDs is 1-2 week delay for the deposits to clear so if it's a shady merchant they will get CB complaints before handing over any money.  If the merchant can trick customers into waiting 2-3 weeks to call the bank this hold period doesn't do a thing.

Call immediately and say they are delaying your refund. That process will have your issuing bank alert the merchant bank and they will hold the funds instead of handing them over to the merchant. If they hand it over to the merchant and cannot get it back from the merchant they will make it your lost chargeback not eat the loss themselves.

It's a huge red flag they claim the refund will take 20 days when it takes 2-3 days at most for a reversed transaction to post back to your account. They are very likely up to something shady.

I guess you didn't read the thread.  OP got his funds back.  Nothing shady (except for the timeshare itself)

rated:
wp746911 said:   Are you the real Icecube?
  If I were the real Ice Cube $3k would be couch change and I wouldn't have worried about this

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017