Documents that show your private Information (Such as SSN)

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I just got my CoveredCA 1095-A document (ACA for California) and I noticed that it has my SSN as well as the SSNs of my family in plain text.
As this document contains my Name, Address and DOB as well I just realized this is major item that could be used in Identify theft.  
This one document could be used to open bank accounts, credit cards, and any other number of items.

I looked around and others show their 1095-A's with only last 4 (which isn't all that better)

the real irony of this?  This was issued by State of California, which has a law in place that dictates SSN will not be printed on any 'non critical' document.
Geez, who do I sue for this?

I created this thread to see if others have wacky documents like this.  
I used to see it on my doctors info, and I stopped giving my doctors (Before ACA) my SSN info because of it.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

It is normal for tax forms to have your ssn

gnopgnip said:   It is normal for tax forms to have your ssn
  No, nowadays most paper 'tax' forms (1099s, etc) just show the last 4 digits of your ssn.

between the breaches of the IRS, major insurance companies, and financial institutions in the past 2-3 years, I assume my SSN is out there for grabs.

defjukie said:   between the breaches of the IRS, major insurance companies, and financial institutions in the past 2-3 years, I assume my SSN is out there for grabs.
And OPM

Social security department is the worst offender about sending this stuff. My son gets some benefits and every month they send a communication to him and to me (his rep payee) about his next months benefits. Actually, I get 3 letters per-month from them and all of them have his social security number written on those letters. And the the postman has put my neighbors mail in my mailbox at least 3-4 times per month. So 36 letters per-year with far from perfect postman, I am assuming that his number is out there visible to others.

Bend3r said:   
defjukie said:   between the breaches of the IRS, major insurance companies, and financial institutions in the past 2-3 years, I assume my SSN is out there for grabs.
And OPM

So true, I've been notified by 3 separate organizations that my SSN, DoB, address, etc where compromised and are out in the wild, over the last 4 years.

This is why there needs to be a federal law that requires all credit reporting agencies to allow people to freeze their credit reports for free and IRS should give a filling pin to anyone who wants one.

Luckily for me, I live in North Carolina, where there is a state law allowing for free freezing and thawing of your credit reports (which have been frozen since 2010) and because of OPM, Anthem, etc breaches I get an IRS filing PIN mailed to me each January now.

Everyone whose alive should just assume all their information is out in the wild and take appropriate steps before whoever has it gets around to selling your information!

Want to know the worst one? When you discharge from the service you receive a dd214. This form is lifeline to loans, gi bill, va claims...everything. When you get out ( it was for me 20+ years ago) they tell you to never lose it and to register it with your county. Guess what is ( unless things have changed) on it? Full social, birthday and address.

So, sitting in everyone's county office is a big book of Veterans info with Socials and birthdays free to the public. Have at it ID thief's.

sloppy1 said:   
gnopgnip said:   It is normal for tax forms to have your ssn
  No, nowadays most paper 'tax' forms (1099s, etc) just show the last 4 digits of your ssn.

Any time you mail in your 1040 it will have your SSN on it.

My 1095-B (not from CoveredCA) only has the last 4 digits.
But my 1099-G for state and local income tax refund has the full SSN. Perhaps CA considers these "critical"?

Since last year, hackers have gotten hold of payroll information (with SSN, name, address, wage amounts, etc.) from tricking HR workers. A relative of mine got a fake return submitted last year with fake W-2 information that was copied from a previous year. Relative has been unemployed for several years. The IRS would not issue a PIN saying that the return was not posted to the taxpayer account and removed from processing.

https://www.irs.gov/uac/newsroom/irs-states-and-tax-industry-renew-alert-about-form-w2-scam-targeting-payroll-human-resource-departments

My mom's SSA-1099 has her full SSN.

I used to keep all these paper document around and as as some of you know, the thief took the entire box of document and went to town on it. Now, I get something like that and I'll just scan it and encrypt it.

Most smart companies don't rely on solely using SSNs to authenticate because they aren't secure. That's why, even when you provide your full SSN, they ask for other verifying information.

As most know, SSNs were never meant as an all-encompassing identification number. It's not secure, and there aren't that many combinations that an individual person can have (due to the set numbers that are based on place of birth, etc.)

The next step can't be ensuring that SSNs are more private (which is what government entities have tried to do), but instead creating a different type of unique identifier altogether, and make sure it's used for this purpose and only for this purpose.

Interesting thing, my friend showed me his 1095-B (From his employer) , all the SSN's were properly blotted out to the last 4 digits.
So his work is afraid of the CA law, but Covered CA isn't ? doh

marginoferror said:   Most smart companies don't rely on solely using SSNs to authenticate because they aren't secure. That's why, even when you provide your full SSN, they ask for other verifying information.

As most know, SSNs were never meant as an all-encompassing identification number. It's not secure, and there aren't that many combinations that an individual person can have (due to the set numbers that are based on place of birth, etc.)

The next step can't be ensuring that SSNs are more private (which is what government entities have tried to do), but instead creating a different type of unique identifier altogether, and make sure it's used for this purpose and only for this purpose.

Totally agree.

Your SSN shouldn't be your the same link to voter's registration, medical record identifiers, your social security benefits ID, credit records, or your tax ID. Decoupling all those systems with independent IDs would go a lot further than trying to keep all these systems more secure knowing one vulnerability somewhere voids the security in all the others. 

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017