• filter:

Someone made a Hertz reservation using my gold membership.

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Got an email from Hertz that a reservation was made for a car in Israel for a month in July with a reservation number. Mode of payment was my stored Amex. I went online and checked the reservation really existed. I promptly cancelled the reservation and called Hertz. The rep was pretty casual about it and said maybe someone entered a wrong gold card number and the reservation was cancelled. There could be 2 things that could have happened. 1. Either it was a genuine mistake and some bloke is  going to land in Israel in July and not have a reservation or pay the counter fees. 2. A scammer tried to log my credentials, but I don't see how he or she would be able to give my credit card and driver's license to match!

Cannot understand how Hertz can be so casual about it!

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
I once had someone with the same name as me book at a hotel using my Choice Points account. They used their credit card. I called the hotel who told me that they had checked in. They didn't seem to care. i got the points for it so didn't bother too much to fix it. I would have been more concerned if they used my CC#. This person is constantly using my gmail account which is similar to mine.

rated:
I would report the credit card risk. Most credit cards have a clause requiring you to report as soon as you know there is a risk. IF your driver's license info is at risk, reporting the driver's license and get a replacement with a different number.  Due to algorisms, entering CC numbers in error is not that common.,

rated:
why would a rental-car scammer schedule a fraudulent reservation for 6+ months in advance?

rated:
How does this relate to Finance thread? Someone call in to make a reservation and Hertz rep fat fingered the Gold# provided. If traveler was smart, they would wonder why that confirmation# is not showing up and discover no reservation prior to travel.

rated:
There was no credit card risk, he had it stored -- and system won't tell you the stored credit card information. I'd just move on with my life and try not to worry about things you have no control over.

rated:
i would say goto israel and track the guy down but you might have trouble getting past their security with this crazy story!

rated:
zewip said:   why would a rental-car scammer schedule a fraudulent reservation for 6+ months in advance?
  Let's see: It would be Summer. So I'll have to guess you're happy driving around in a two seater 1.4 liter car. Well if someone want something rather larger, like a mini van, then it's pretty much normal to purchase plane tickets now, make hotel reservations now and make car reservations now.

rated:
remove the stored CC first....so it cannot happen again.

rated:
lonestarguy said:   I once had someone with the same name as me book at a hotel using my Choice Points account. ...  This person is constantly using my gmail account which is similar to mine.

I'm having trouble parsing that last statement.  Your gmail account is similar to your gmail account, and someone else is using it???

rated:
How was the reservation made? Online with your online login? That's a bigger problem if that's the case. A lot of hotel data breach lately. I would at least change your login.

rated:
Hertz used to have a really strong information security program, but outsourced IT to IBM recently.

rated:
NEDeals said:   
lonestarguy said:   I once had someone with the same name as me book at a hotel using my Choice Points account. ...  This person is constantly using my gmail account which is similar to mine.

I'm having trouble parsing that last statement.  Your gmail account is similar to your gmail account, and someone else is using it???

I think they meant to say "This person is constantly using their gmail account which is similar to mine ".
I have the same thing happen to me, which can be really annoying. I've figured out their actual email address and have asked them to stop, to no avail. So now I randomly screw with whatever they set up using my account.

• Book a car and use my email address? No problem, I'll change your reservation from a giant SUV to the subcompact
  • Give your son's teacher my email to use for correspondence? This is great inspiration for how to reply

rated:
NEDeals said:   Hertz used to have a really strong information security program, but outsourced IT to IBM recently.
  I rather flip burgers than work for IBM!

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017