ACA - Blue Anthem Policy Mess up - running out of time - HELP

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Need some help here.  We've had Blue Anthem for the last few years.  My wife suddenly decided that she no longer wants to be on my plan, and requested to be removed from it.  I called Blue Anthem and they told me to write a letter requesting to terminate the policy and signup for a new policy.  Fine, no problem.  I wrote the letter and registered for a new policy and paid the premium.  This was done in early December.  I just received in the mail on Friday that they cancelled the policy and included a check for my first month's premium.  They also never activated the other policy.  Spend two hours on the phone and they told me to write another letter requesting reinstatement and just removing my wife from the policy and it will be retroactive from 1/1/17.  However, since there is only one day left, I am getting concerned that I will be left with zero health insurance.  What do I do?  Should I submit another application for health insurance today just in case?

Really do not want to be without health insurance.  Very concerned here.  Please help.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Strikes me this was probably not the best time to be cancelling coverage followed by effort to reinstate.  Reason?

It's a turbulent interval in the health insurance biz.  Some companies might be welcoming an excuse to drop coverages until some of the present day unknowns are resolved . . one way or the other.

I understand you are nervous to be without coverage.  If there are other companies in your state still offering health insurance I would strongly pursue possibility of signing on with one of them.  I do realize many companies are getting out, at least for now.  I hope Blue Anthem is not your only choice.

This was done in the beginning of December. All I was trying to do is remove my wife (at her request). I followed the instructions told to me by the rep.

Just in case, I signed up for another policy again, but this time through the ACA. I will pay it tomorrow so to ensure I have coverage.

Greatness said:   This was done in the beginning of December. All I was trying to do is remove my wife (at her request). I followed the instructions told to me by the rep.

Just in case, I signed up for another policy again, but this time through the ACA. I will pay it tomorrow so to ensure I have coverage.

Understood.  In your OP, though, you stated they instructed you to terminate your existing policy and sign up for an entirely new policy to cover just yourself.

In December, of course, the election was over and the company (Blue Anthem) knew of the (at that time) President-elect's hostility to the ACA.  I think the rep who took your call might, albeit in all innocence, have given you some poor counsel when suggesting you terminate an old policy prior to having new insurance solidly in place.  I hope your (I think good) strategy to apply for a backup works out for you.  Good luck.

Not sure, but I was only following their direction. It made little sense, but I assumed they know how to guide a person when they are changing their plan. I guess I was wrong. So, here's how I played it. I registered for a new Blue Anthem plan through the NY exchange, which they have to honor. Same plan, so shouldn't be a big deal. It says it will start on 3/1/17, which I believe I have until the 15th of February to pay. The rep yesterday said it will take 3 - 5 days for the policy to be reinstated and grandfathered back to 1/1/17 coverage. If they reinstate my policy, then great, I won't issue a check for the policy which would start on 3/1/17. If they don't, then I have a policy starting on 3/1/17. I plan to call them each day to see if my plan was reinstated yet.

How does that plan sound?

Greatness said:   Not sure, but I was only following their direction. It made little sense, but I assumed they know how to guide a person when they are changing their plan. I guess I was wrong. So, here's how I played it. I registered for a new Blue Anthem plan through the NY exchange, which they have to honor. Same plan, so shouldn't be a big deal. It says it will start on 3/1/17, which I believe I have until the 15th of February to pay. The rep yesterday said it will take 3 - 5 days for the policy to be reinstated and grandfathered back to 1/1/17 coverage. If they reinstate my policy, then great, I won't issue a check for the policy which would start on 3/1/17. If they don't, then I have a policy starting on 3/1/17. I plan to call them each day to see if my plan was reinstated yet.

How does that plan sound?

Works for me!

Also:

Persons interested in your thread should be on alert, if you folks are not already on alert, that today, January 31st, is the day open enrollment closes.  So for anyone looking to sign up . . . better get on the stick.  You only have until midnight.

I'm just curious, whats the purpose of splitting up the family plan?

OP's wife didn't want him to see her claims for STD treatment?

Ma171aC said:   I'm just curious, whats the purpose of splitting up the family plan?
  She started to receive free coverage from her employer starting 2017.    No coverage option for spouse though.

How does removing a covered dependent equate to jumping off a bridge?

If I were you, if you want to make sure you have done everything you can to get yourself covered for the rest of 2017 (March 1st - December 31st), I would pay the premium on the new plan (which will be for the month of March) TODAY.

(You'll have to call them and make them take the payment over the phone. Which they should agree to do.
And take down the name of the person who helped you, take down the transaction id number, ask them send you a payment confirmation, etc.)

There might be some wording out there that you actually have until a deadline of Feb. 15th to make the March payment (I don't know if you do or do not, but you indicated that this is your belief) but in our new national atmosphere, I would not rely on ANYTHING that is promised, implied, reasonable, presumably-legally-protected, etc. I would lock it in (to the best of an individual consumer's ability) and get the contract officially started by paying for the first premium today.

---
As long as your new policy goes ahead as planned, and it's acceptable to you (you say that it's the same exact Anthem plan that you were on before), if it were me, I would not expect them to re-instate anything, and I would drop the fight with them to have the old policy un-cancelled. What purpose would that serve, to argue with them about the past?

That is, if you didn't already incur some medical bills in the month of January and now they are not going to be covered by insurance. 

...And if you don't need any significant coverage in February, which, of course, you might need unexpectedly, so that is certainly a real concern (coverage for February).

(I deliberately didn't have any medical appointments, tests, or treatments in the month of January, and I have none scheduled for the first half of February, because I didn't want to be in a situation where I'd received services and incurred expenses and then bizarrely had my coverage rescinded due to some hasty off-the-cuff manoevers by the new leadership before those medical services were actually paid for via the original manner and in the original amounts that my plan promises they will be paid for.

This is still a worry of mine going forward, and I started a Finance thread on the following topic:
"What, realistically, is going to happen to the ACA/Obamacare at the end of January, and in the 1st Q of 2017"
https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1538314 )

===
===
Actually, reading your original post again, I don't know which policy was which, but it sounds like you signed up for an individual policy in December and paid the premium for it, but they cancelled that plan only last week and sent you your premium money back just 3 days ago, yet they also had never started in 2017 your original family policy that you and your wife had had in 2016.

Why did they cancel your individual policy that you signed up and paid for in December if it was the only offical one that you had in the works?

And why did they wait so long to inform you that they were cancelling it -- by your timetable, they waited 6 or 7 weeks to tell you it was cancelled and to refund your money.

Whatever the problem is, is there a danger of history repeating itself, and even though you signed up for a new policy today, and even if you paid your premium for that new policy today, due to something in their system that they have regarding your eligibility, they might cancel this brand new policy, too, and in 4 weeks could send you a refund check for the March payment, which could leave you without 2017 coverage?

To be fair to the people who were asking for the reason behind the wife's decision,
the original post made it sound like the wife had decided on a whim, without any warning and not due to any logical external circumstances, that she didn't want to be on a family plan with her husband:
Greatness said:   My wife suddenly decided that she no longer wants to be on my plan, and requested to be removed from it. 

Later, the explanation that
Greatness said:   She started to receive free coverage from her employer starting 2017.
put it into context.

Surprisingly, they reinstated the policy retroactively. All bills in Jan., will be paid. Very surprised.

Glad it worked out for you!

In the future, just request your dependent be removed from the policy and you move to a single policy. Why would you request to terminate the policy, then request a new one? That's now how it works...

jaytrader said:   In the future, just request your dependent be removed from the policy and you move to a single policy. Why would you request to terminate the policy, then request a new one? That's now how it works...

Agreed.  However, that is what I was told by the agent.  The agent walked me through the app process again as well.  

Greatness said:   
jaytrader said:   In the future, just request your dependent be removed from the policy and you move to a single policy. Why would you request to terminate the policy, then request a new one? That's now how it works...

Agreed.  However, that is what I was told by the agent.  The agent walked me through the app process again as well.  

Methinks the agent was getting a commission for "new sign ups" so did it the way that earned them credit.   Walking you through the app just makes sure you don't back out and it goes to their count.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017