• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Discover Announces Second Quarter 2017 5% Categories 

Home Improvement Stores
Wholesale Clubs
April through June 2017, on up to $1,500 in combined purchases.
Activate starting NOW !!

Moderator Comment: This thread is mirrored to these forums: HOT DEALS, DEAL DISCUSSION, FINANCE. — May. 29, 2017 @ 7:17pm
Member Summary

Discover 2 - 2017 (39.24kB)
Thanks JW10
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
So, I wonder...with restaurants being the bonus for next quarter, will buying a gift card online from the website count ... (more)

raceman73 (May. 25, 2017 @ 11:01p) |

Highly questionable. YMMV. I do l know from personal experience that Village Inn uses a third party fulfillment compan... (more)

JW10 (May. 26, 2017 @ 12:45a) |

Yeah, I figure the odds are slim to none on that one, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

raceman73 (May. 26, 2017 @ 6:59a) |

DiscoverCard 5% calendar 

~~Program Details

*For Discover it® and Discover® More® cardmembers only: Activate to earn 5% Cashback Bonus at Home Improvement Stores and Wholesale Clubs from 4/1/17 (or the date on which you activate 5%, whichever is later) through 6/30/17, on up to $1,500 in purchases.
Home Improvement Stores are defined as home improvement retail stores, lumber/building material stores, paint/wallpaper stores, hardware stores and lawn and garden supply centers.
Check with your Wholesale Club to make sure your Discover card is accepted. Certain Wholesale Club services, such as travel and cell phone purchases may not be eligible in this category.
Purchases made using third-party payment accounts, tap-and-pay, mobile or wireless card readers, virtual wallets or similar technology may not be eligible. Rewards are added to your Cashback Bonus account within two billing periods. See Cashback Bonus Program Terms and Conditions for more information about your rewards

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Sweet... continued 5% discount on gas and WalMart (the roundabout Sam's Club Gift Card Purchase method).

rated:
So basically Sams Club will be going on 9 months now for double cash back (it was specifically listed 4Q16, is now part of Warehouse Clubs in 1Q17 and then 2Q17). With the double cash back promotion for the first year, been getting 10% cash back for my Sams Club purchases. Now just having to figure out if I will be eligible if I open a NEW Discover card for another year of double cash back (the rules say no but people report it as working)

rated:
Would rather they have Amazon back, but oh well. Worst that can happen is like this quarter I am supplementing my gas purchases with costco gift cards as well.

rated:
Oh yeah!!!

rated:
justignoredem said:   Would rather they have Amazon back, but oh well. Worst that can happen is like this quarter I am supplementing my gas purchases with costco gift cards as well.
  Or purchase Amazon gift cards

rated:
Thanks for the reminder - you can buy Costco gift cards with Discover on costco.com and use them in store. (Although I have plenty from the last two quarters of Chase Freedom warehouse spending.)

rated:
Can I assume that Lowe's and Home Depot count as home improvement stores? It seems so from the description, but I've been burned on this before so I was hoping someone could confirm.

Thanks!

rated:
Yes they are. Have done it through cashier and self pay station. Cannot confirm online.

rated:
Discover phone rep reports that Sam's Club fuel *does not* count as wholesale club.  I'm guessing they code it as fuel dispenser.

Can anyone confirm?  Q1 includes gas, so it's been getting the bonus, but wouldn't in Q2.

rated:
You can go inside and purchase a Sam's Club Gift Card which will get the 5% reward, then use the Sam's Club Gift card at the Sam's Club fuel station. Doing so achieves the best gas price and effect of the 5% cash back reward.
You can also use the Sam's Club Gift Card as a purchase card at Wal-Mart or Wal-Mart Neighborhood stores for a net effect of the 5% cash back reward for those purchases as well.
Been there ... done that.

rated:
Thanks, MilleniumBuc!

rated:
The $75 limit is pathetic.

rated:
TellyTubby said:   The $75 limit is pathetic.
  Completely agreed.

As a side note, I used my Discover at Lowe's to buy some appliances. They will meet competitor prices and beat them by 10% which I was able to combine with the Lowe's 10% off coupon (got them off eBay 5/$1.99) to save 19% off of appliances that were already on sale, plus I will be getting the cashback from Discover. YMMV, but worth a try.

rated:
  what r u going to use ur card on? like buying a new car? 
spending more than $1500 per quarter on the same "single" category is pathetic.

rated:
microkelvin said:   

Appliances.

rated:
microkelvin said:   

It's not per-category, it's for all of the categories that quarter. $1,500 is not that much, even for organic (as opposed to gift cards and MS) spending in many of the categories.

rated:
Are purchases on costco.com qualified for this 5% cashback?

rated:
calwatch made a posting above yours that says you can.

rated:
Yes. I can confirm that costco.com purchase nets you 5%.

rated:
Discover has also opened for activation the THIRD Quarter 2017 5% Category - RESTAURANTS.

rated:
Last month my Costco.com purchases (including gift cards) counted as 5%. But, this month's statement which closed yesterday did not. Anyone else have this happen?

rated:
dataadmin said:   Last month my Costco.com purchases (including gift cards) counted as 5%. But, this month's statement which closed yesterday did not. Anyone else have this happen?
Same here. Chatted in with Discover and they will make an adjustment which will show on the next statement.

Will wait and see.

rated:
RussellJohnson said:   
dataadmin said:   Last month my Costco.com purchases (including gift cards) counted as 5%. But, this month's statement which closed yesterday did not. Anyone else have this happen?
Same here. Chatted in with Discover and they will make an adjustment which will show on the next statement.

Will wait and see.

Just did the same.  Thanks for the idea.

rated:
Me four, only mine took two tries as the first CSR tried to give me "6-8 weeks for promotional bonuses" crap (it's never not posted on the next statement before, period).
After a snarky message back a different CSR wrote back saying they credited the difference.  
Do we think these adjustments get doubled automatically for those under that promotion, or will we have another issue at that time?

rated:
MaddHatter said:   Me four, only mine took two tries as the first CSR tried to give me "6-8 weeks for promotional bonuses" crap (it's never not posted on the next statement before, period).
After a snarky message back a different CSR wrote back saying they credited the difference.  
Do we think these adjustments get doubled automatically for those under that promotion, or will we have another issue at that time?

Yeah good question, this is going to annoy me. My LAST statement closes for the matching 10% on Friday - so if the credit isn't posted to this statement, then it's likely not going to be matched if its credited after the fact.

rated:
So, I wonder...with restaurants being the bonus for next quarter, will buying a gift card online from the website count as the category?

rated:
Highly questionable. YMMV. I do l know from personal experience that Village Inn uses a third party fulfillment company. The last time restaurants were 5X, I ordered on line from the Village Inn website and did NOT get 5X points.

rated:
Yeah, I figure the odds are slim to none on that one, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017