5/5 ARM vs 10/1 ARM

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
We are planning a significant addition to our home....and I have a few options for financing.

Current home value $300k
Mortgage $205k (2.5% PenFed 5/5 ARM, 1st reset in Aug 2020)

Addition/reno budget $150k
After reno value $450-500k

I'm looking to finance the entire $150k if possible (not required, but preferred)

I have the option of doing the full renovation loan of $150k as a 2nd mortgage at about 4.5-5%, very low fees this way. I'd then likely refi the entire thing after we're done. I could then do another 5/5 from PenFed, or possibly do a 7/1 or 10/1 ARM

Other option is rolling everything to 1 loan, likely some higher fees invloved this way. But possibly still better than doing a 2nd and then a refi once all said and done. I'd be looking at either a 7/1 or 10/1 ARM this way as well.

The issue here is that the rates I'm getting quoted via the reno loan are higher than market rates, IMO. I can get a 10/1 for 3.125% right now, and a 7/1 for 3.0% from lenders I've used in past. But the reno loan is coming in mid 3s for a 7/1. Not so good.

But real question, what are the pros/cons of a 5/5 vs say a 10/1? They are basically close to the same initial rate (1/8th point higher for 10/1).

(Not interested in fixed rates, IMO that is just a form of insurance that I don't need).

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Guess this isn't going anywhere.

5/5 vs 10/1.....why ever take the 5/5?

I took the 5/5 when we purchased our home in 2015 for multiple reasons. One of them being nearly free closing costs due to the CU credits that were part of a special program which was the 5/5.

If 10/1 is only 1/8 pt. higher, all other costs are the same, and you intend to stay in the house for more than 5 years, then 10/1 would be the best. It would be very likely that interest rates would move up over then next 5 years. An extra 1/8% is cheap insurance.

Where are you getting such a great rate for a 10/1?

lotusgardener said:   Where are you getting such a great rate for a 10/1?

Aimloan.com

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017