Selling house as teardown

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I will be selling a house and land, with the buyers planning to demolish the house and build a new one.  Does anyone have any relevant experience, tips, etc., in terms of realizing some additional value, beyond trying to sell appliances that will not convey?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

sell the furnace, ac, copper pipes, any other scrap metal

See if the local FD will be interested in practicing a fire drill. They may not necessarily pay big bucks.

Is the structure sound? Houses can be moved.

What year was the house built?

Where is it located?

House is 1960s ranch, in Virginia.
I don't think the purchase contract would allow me to do the kind of partial demo that some are suggesting.
I was thinking more along the lines of trying to sell the refrigerant in the AC system, selling the drop-in range, etc.

tuphat said:   House is 1960s ranch, in Virginia.
I don't think the purchase contract would allow me to do the kind of partial demo that some are suggesting.
I was thinking more along the lines of trying to sell the refrigerant in the AC system, selling the drop-in range, etc.

what does the buyer think of that?

tuphat said:   

so you have a purchase contract signed already? 
Those are partial demo. AC and drop-in range are part of the house, not freestanding appliances.

If the house is under contract, you can't just start selling off the fixtures, even if you know the buyers are going to tear down the house.  Anyone they hire to demolish the house is going to factor in the value of those salvageable materials into their bid for the demolition.  As a matter of fact, in many jurisdictions now, there are some fairly strict requirements to dismantling a house and recycling as much as possible, and there is also some real value to structural timbers, bricks and other materials.

Agree. I wouldn't take anything unless it's specifically mentioned you can.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017