• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
https://www.depositaccounts.com/banks/united-bank-ma/offers/ 
Is this a teaser rate or it could last long enough to move serious money?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
"The promotional rate and tiers will be in effect for 180 days from the date the account is opened after which the standard rates and tiers that apply to the Advantage Money Market will be the rates and tiers in effect. Please refer to your statement, online banking or call us for the standard rates and tiers on our Advantage Money Market account." Supposedly a lot of work and whacky verification. Best of luck.

rated:
1.25% is well below inflation rate (2.07% in 2016). You're LOSING approx 0.75% by putting your money in this account (plus, of course, the taxes you have to pay on the interest). Never mind the hassles of moving it in and out, and the rate only lasts 180 days apparently.

For comparison, my Vanguard S&P Index fund brought 20% over the last 12 months. More risk, but what a difference in performance.

rated:
canoeguy1 said:   For comparison, my Vanguard S&P Index fund brought 20% over the last 12 months. More risk, but what a difference in performance.

In Vegas, you can gain 100% in just 1 minute.  More risk, but what a difference in performance.

rated:
canoeguy1 said:   1.25% is well below inflation rate (2.07% in 2016). You're LOSING approx 0.75% by putting your money in this account (plus, of course, the taxes you have to pay on the interest). Never mind the hassles of moving it in and out, and the rate only lasts 180 days apparently.

For comparison, my Vanguard S&P Index fund brought 20% over the last 12 months. More risk, but what a difference in performance.

Very true, but the savings is for your emergency fund. After having the emergency fund setup, yes this is not the wisest use of your funds given so many other opportunities. 

rated:
govenar said:   
canoeguy1 said:   For comparison, my Vanguard S&P Index fund brought 20% over the last 12 months. More risk, but what a difference in performance.
In Vegas, you can gain 100% in just 1 minute.  More risk, but what a difference in performance.

In Vegas, you are gambling. With his Vanguard, he is wisely investing in a fund that gives better return than 1.25% yield. 1.25% Yield is great a short term parking of money; however, better yield can be achieved to invest a diversified fund for a better long term yield.
If you know nothing about investing, just buy BRK.b, and let Warren Buffett give you at least 5 times better yield than any bank savings can return.

rated:
govenar said:   

Not a good comparison. In Vagas (or a lottery), you EXPECT to lose money. The house only pays approx 98%, so on average, you will lose money.
With stock funds, you EXPECT to make money. Approx 6-8% on average. 
So if you invest wisely, and diversify, putting your money in a stock fund yields far more money than gambling.

You have to look at the level of risk that you take, in return for your EXPECTED payback. Playing the lottery is about the worst thing you can do. High risk, and negative expected payback.

Having a $5K emergency fund makes sense, but the OP was asking if "serious money" should be moved into the CD. Thus my response

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017