• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
I tried to purchase a $500 MO at my local post office using a Visa gift card purchased at my local Safeway. It was decline (tried twice). The post office clerk told me he has seen this recently (since last Friday) that attempts to buy Money Orders with gift card are being declined. Has anyone have a similar experience?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Not the same but I had one of those rebate MC or VISA denied. it turns out I had to use it as a debit and requires me to get a PIN.

rated:
I did use the last 4 digits of my Visa debit gift card number for PIN as it was in their instructions (twice) and failed!

rated:
Try your luck elsewhere that sells MO's (such as WM or even a SuperMarket).

If that fails, make a purchase at WM that's OVER $500, then ask the cashier to split the payment.  Have the first split be exactly $500 and pay for it w/ your VGC as a DEBIT transaction.  Pay for the remainder of your purchase on a REAL debit card (also as a DEBIT transaction).

A day or two later, return the item. If WM insists on refunding it back to a debit card, hopefully they'll be OK w/ doing so just on your REAL debit card. They may instead refund your debit purchase in CASH (I've had that happen once when I bought something w/ a $30 Rebate VGC.  I hadn't planned on returning it and was expecting the refund to go back to the Rebate VGC.  Was pleasantly surprised when they handed me cash instead).

Note: I don't recommend the procedure above for regular MO liquidation (especially since there can be loooong lines at WM Customer Service counters and doing it frequently will likely draw unwanted attention), but for one-off situations, should be fine.

*EDIT* You can probably do this safely with up to three (3) VGC's in a single purchase (that totals OVER $1500).  In my experience, WM registers permit up to FOUR (4) payment splits. Three (3) splits will need to be for $500/ea (each charged to a separate VGC).  The 4th split will be the remainder charged to your REAL debit card.  If you're certain that WM will refund you in CASH, then you can try your luck w/ FOUR (4) VGC's, but you should then keep your purchase total AT OR BELOW $2,000 (including tax) since a 5th payment split may not be permitted (don't even know if you can do a 5th payment split in CASH).

*EDIT2* Actually, after further thought, I think you can do a 5th payment split in CASH. I've previously purchased $2000 worth of MO's from WM, paying the MO fees in CASH while paying the actual $2000 as four payment splits of $500/ea.  The maximum WM MO amount is $1000, so if you want to buy $2000 worth, you have to buy two MO's of $1000/ea (thus incurring two MO fees).

rated:
Last time (early in 2016) WalMart strictly refused gift cards for money orders in my case. I was able to use it at the post office, though (this was early last year).

rated:
Gift cards come in brands. Late December or early January, the Post Office stopped accepting META BANK gift cards. Some other money orders brands may still be okay at many post offices.
Meta Bank gift cards were fine at many Wal-marts. YMMV as some Wal-marts have stopped accepting gift cards for Money orders. Some grocery stores will sell you a money order cheaper than the post office. YMMV.

rated:
Does anyone know of any cards that do work? Maybe we can come up with a list.

rated:
There's a 100 page discussion about this on flyertalk.

I will summarize those 100 pages in the following paragraph.

Currently, any Bancorp-issued Vanilla-branded single-use Visa or MC gift card that runs on the Incomm network will work.  Any and all others will not.

Be careful to remember your pin, since you don't set it ahead of time and select it at random on first debit use of the card.  I use digits 9-12 of the account number on the face of each card, but that's just my own personal system.  You can use whatever system you like.  Always have a backup funding source such as cash, a real bank-issued checking-linked debit card, and/or an extra Vanilla gift card.

rated:
BrunoB said:   I tried to purchase a $500 MO at my local post office using a Visa gift card purchased at my local Safeway. It was decline (tried twice). 
  Go back to Safeway and ask for your money back.

rated:
Safeway is among the low fees to purchase money orders but they only accept cash.

rated:
DTASFAB said:   
Currently, any Bancorp-issued Vanilla-branded single-use Visa or MC gift card that runs on the Incomm network will work.  Any and all others will not.

Any suggestion on how to identify such cards?

rated:
supersnoop00 said:   
DTASFAB said:   

Any suggestion on how to identify such cards?

Look at the package the card came in or look at the back of the card.  

rated:
DTASFAB said:   Always have a backup funding source such as cash, a real bank-issued checking-linked debit card, and/or an extra Vanilla gift card.Can't they void the MO transaction if the card doesn't work?

rated:
NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   
DTASFAB said:   Always have a backup funding source such as cash, a real bank-issued checking-linked debit card, and/or an extra Vanilla gift card.
Can't they void the MO transaction if the card doesn't work?

Not if you're halfway through swiping four cards to buy $2K.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017