Backtest investment algorithms

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Where can I test online some of my investment logics  .. I would like to do some analysis on specific stocks and ETFs for stock price vs 90 day moving average for current and historic dates
​Any intuitive analytical platforms available for adhoc analysis 

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

If you google Best Paper Trading Platform, there are tons of choices. Thinkorswim, optionexpress, etc..

Interactive Brokers.

Move your IRA account to meet the minimums they have. Okay API support etc.

Try Portfolio123.com, I subscribed a for a little while but didn't have the time to really dig in after day job.

I'll save some time. They don't beat Buy and Hold unless you use a extremely long period (200 days or more) and are willing to accept huge drawdowns. 

I back-tested some asset allocations and hypothetical portfolios using www.portfoliovisualizer.com last year.

Seemed reasonably easy to use if you are familiar with the investing terminology and portfolio construction, and was free...

Good luck competing against 180 IQ hedge fund quants with PhDs from MIT with billions of institutional money to play with on servers co-located at the exchanges specifically looking to take advantage of what seems to work backtests

user1337 said:   Good luck competing against 180 IQ hedge fund quants with PhDs from MIT with billions of institutional money to play with on servers co-located at the exchanges specifically looking to take advantage of what seems to work backtests
  I am missing your point. How is their army of intelectuals and tools helping me with my investment? Are you saying I should follow the analyst recommendations or just invest with Hedge funds?  Hmmm

What user1337 is saying is you can't beat them in returns without taking more risk (and time) than those guys. You are better off just investing in a low-cost basket of index funds. Set it and forget it.

You can beat them on low capacity/liquidity stuff that doesn't scale.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017