• filter:

Life insurance question......yea another.

• Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
I've been thinking about life insurance and recent info about a relative has me thinking about it.

We area dual income house and we have strong savings goals to ensure our early retirement, and our kids can go to college.

However, in the event something happens or an unexpected illness is bestowed upon one of us, I want to ensure the family can continue on the same trajectory.

Currently
Wife and myself are 37.
1 child 15m old
2nd child due in Aug 2017.

I have 50K  through my work on my wife costing $4.50 a month post tax
Wife has 25K on herself through her work costing around $8 a month post tax
I have 80K through work free.
I have 160K more through work that I pay $14.21 a month pretax.
I have 15K on my son at $3.00 a month post tax.

I'm considering a large policy on my wife on the order of 750K.
Considering the same on myself, and maybe next renewal, dropping my supplemental life if it doesn't make financial sense.

Spoke to Northwestern Mutual (rated #1 on nerdwallet) and was told as a good estimate:
20 year term fixed flat $750K was around $64 a month for me, and $60 a month for my wife.
These of course will be after tax payments which certainly plays a role.

We are both healthy people, no smoke, no drink, no diabetes (though does run in my family), and no other illness (though breast cancer runs in my wife's family)  This last one is the scary one.  I love my wife dearly, but her family genes have this issue and I'm doing my son a disservice if I don't address this matter.

I also do not want to be over insured.

The idea of around 750K, is that in the event something happens to one of us, obviously family investment savings would drop dramatically and this would go into investments, left to grow the remaining years until early retirement.  (retirement goal in 18 years is around 1.8M currently.)

Also, not sure on how to properly weigh the value of the payout now, vs the value in 19 years  (got forbid one of us has to collect).

Also, we snow ski 1-3 times a year, not sure if thats considered major risk.
Also, not sure about family cancer disclosure.   Is that necessary?   Her mom is fine, other relatives have had issues.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I'm not sure where you found this broker, but he/she does not know what he was doing. He was not only wrong about initia... (more)

chislands18 (Apr. 20, 2017 @ 11:19p) |

You are so welcome.

RhizzleBop (Apr. 21, 2017 @ 7:09a) |

Here is good info to read before you start shopping.
http://bestquoteinc.com/term-life-insurance-families/

damonhenry (May. 19, 2017 @ 10:26a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
1) term4sale.com - good site that aggregates prices for policies.
2) what's your and your wife's salary? some will suggest some multiplier of salary for insurance needed
3) What are your and you're wife's liabilities? (personal loans/debt/mortgages) A primary reason for insurance is to make sure survivors aren't left to struggle with existing liabilities
4) Do you plan on paying for any portion of your kids education? Private or state university? If private, tack on 400k-ish per person per kid since that's about what the cost of private uni will be in 18 years at this rate.

ignore the skiing - that's not a life insurance risk factor.
cancer disclosure - don't provide it to them. If they ask the question (in person or in a form) be honest. Don't tell them what they don't ask for. They have underwriters that take into account whatever information they need to take into account to make their assessment.

rated:
Remember that insurance through your work only lasts until you leave your job, at which time you'll be shopping for new life insurance at an older age.

rated:
RhizzleBop said:   

Sounds like you are getting 1x salary for free and you are buying another 2x salary through your employer's plan.  Once you get your own term insurance elsewhere, drop that 2x additional term.  You'll find that it is cheaper elsewhere, and you don't want all your insurance needs being met by an employer-sponsored plan in the event that you switch jobs.    Always take the free insurance though.

rated:
The amount you need depends on your expenses & assets. How do you get to the $750k figure?

Getting large 20 year term policies for each of you is a good idea. When you do so, I'd also drop all the policies youre paying for now. Your child does not need insurance either. I'm guessing you're figuring that 15k for 3/mo is cheapish and would cover a funeral but you can self insure that.

rated:
imbatman said:   1) term4sale.com - good site that aggregates prices for policies.
2) what's your and your wife's salary? some will suggest some multiplier of salary for insurance needed
3) What are your and you're wife's liabilities? (personal loans/debt/mortgages) A primary reason for insurance is to make sure survivors aren't left to struggle with existing liabilities
4) Do you plan on paying for any portion of your kids education? Private or state university? If private, tack on 400k-ish per person per kid since that's about what the cost of private uni will be in 18 years at this rate.

ignore the skiing - that's not a life insurance risk factor.
cancer disclosure - don't provide it to them. If they ask the question (in person or in a form) be honest. Don't tell them what they don't ask for. They have underwriters that take into account whatever information they need to take into account to make their assessment.

Thank you

1. Will check it out.
2. I'm at close to 90K, wife is around 65K.
.3. debts: 7K student loans are mine, 9K student loans are hers.  Owe 1 car 5yr note borrowed 32K 0% owe 51 months,  Primary home mortgage owe 220K, just bought this in July, 30yr loan.  Own a rental house that we owe 78K, will be paid off in 9 yrs.
4. We are currently maxing 1 401K, putting 14K in another 401K, and trying to put 5K a year in IRAs.  We are ear marking the IRAs for college fund because our offerings have better funds than our 529. ( I know I need to investigate this further for other outside options).
 We plan to increase our savings/investing each year as we earn more.  If we are where we want to be in 18 years, we plan to greatly assist our kids with college at a state school.  If our investments are not where we want to be we'll decide if we want/can work another year or so to help them further etc.  it'll be a flex situation.

We plan to have our investments (withdraw yearly growth only during retirement years), along with state pension(wife) rental property all combine for our early retirement. May very well add another rental in a couple years.
Definitely not paying 400K for a private college.

But if life throws a curveball, ( I shudder at the thought) whoever remains wont be socking away retirement funds, on a single income, and the plan to help kids with college needs to stay in tact.
This is why I feel around 750K would be enough to basically cover the funeral and put the rest in investments, keep the household together on a single income, and let that grow into the early retirement nest egg as originally planned.  

I'm thinking 20 yr term, which seems like for one of us, would cost around 11.5K over the full 20 years, and hopefully never pays a dime, but it might.

As for the cancer, I think they definitely will ask.  My wife gets her annual, and all good so far.  But a few relatives are not as lucky.  Not sure if they could not pay by ignoring such a question.

rated:
dcwilbur said:   
RhizzleBop said:   

Sounds like you are getting 1x salary for free and you are buying another 2x salary through your employer's plan.  Once you get your own term insurance elsewhere, drop that 2x additional term.  You'll find that it is cheaper elsewhere, and you don't want all your insurance needs being met by an employer-sponsored plan in the event that you switch jobs.    Always take the free insurance though.

Thats correct, and for the 160K, I pay like $11 a month if you consider its pretaxed.    750K will cost me $63 a month after tax.  (Of course that 63 is flat for 20 years, where the employer rate will rise yearly.

rated:
Assuming you both participate in social security, don't forget to figure the survivor benefits your kids will get. It usually a fair amount of money.

rated:
jerosen said:   Assuming you both participate in social security, don't forget to figure the survivor benefits your kids will get. It usually a fair amount of money.
  Not tracking how I would figure that or when it would become effective.

rated:
RhizzleBop said:   
jerosen said:   Assuming you both participate in social security, don't forget to figure the survivor benefits your kids will get. It usually a fair amount of money.

Go to ssa.gov
Create an account and you should be able to view your SS tax contributions and benefits.

rated:
fwuser12 said:   
RhizzleBop said:   

Go to ssa.gov
Create an account and you should be able to view your SS tax contributions and benefits.

Yeah that will give you the estimate of benefits.   Its probably in the $1200-1800 ballpark monthly per kid.

If you pass away your children get survivor benefits from social security.  They get that benefit monthly until they hit age 18.
The money is for the kids but it can be used to support their needs (food, housing, clothing, medical, recreation, etc).    

rated:
How did you come to the 750k figure, and why not 250k or 500k?

rated:
jerosen said:   
fwuser12 said:   
RhizzleBop said:   

Go to ssa.gov

Yeah that will give you the estimate of benefits.   Its probably in the $1200-1800 ballpark monthly per kid.

If you pass away your children get survivor benefits from social security.  They get that benefit monthly until they hit age 18.
The money is for the kids but it can be used to support their needs (food, housing, clothing, medical, recreation, etc).    

Well, somehow I just missed this, and wasn't thinking about it.
Good to know.  It would certainly help my wife, or myself maintain our childrens lives with an extra 2-3K a month. (though if its like retirement social security, you get about a .5% increase every other year so inflation eats you up.

Good to know.  Adds to the confusion of the calculation.

rated:
gnopgnip said:   How did you come to the 750k figure, and why not 250k or 500k?
  The actual figure is $737K that would be needed.

rated:
  Well, I havn't attempted hard math on this yet, but a 500K policy will run in the ballpark of $46 a month, and 750K runs $63.  (Broker estimated me, and said proportionally my wife would be cheaper cause women live longer)
I looked at that and said, well 46 and just 18 more (less than half) adds half to the policy.  Clearly more number crunching is required.

The other aspect is, we are putting away around 40K a year, with plans to slowly increase that as pay permits.  At 18 years from now, I hope to be around 1.8M.
With that, plus wife's school pension, rental income, we can live just nicely on 4% of that 1.7M a year. (between 1.7 and 1.9 is the goal)

If something were to happen and one of us spends 13 years of that timeframe unable to sock away retirement money, I want the other to still achieve it.  So if one us essentially couldn't put any away, but an extra 700K went in our retirement accounts (estimating 6.5% annual growth) we'd meet that goal.

I just ran a quick number.   Looking at 18 years more, at 40K a year invested at 6.5% annual.   Says in 5 years we'd be at around 400K from where we are today.
If suddenly at that time, an extra 500K went into the retirement accounts, and ZERO more was put in, in 13 additional years, it would be worth 2M.
So, again, meets the goal.
I reran it at 3 years from now. assuming we were whereever we were at 3 years, something happened, and 500K went in, compounded at 6.5% annually, and it reaches 1.95M.  So still meets the goal.  So, I guess maybe 500-550K is what we really need to meet the goal.

rated:
www.selectquote.com

I got pay $395/yr for a $500k term like 30 thru TransAmerica.

rated:
RhizzleBop said:     Well, I havn't attempted hard math on this yet, but a 500K policy will run in the ballpark of $46 a month, and 750K runs $63.  (Broker estimated me, and said proportionally my wife would be cheaper cause women live longer)

As indicated earlier, check out term4sale.com for better quotes. I am sure you can do better than what your Northwestern Mutual agent gave you.
It is better to compare annual premiums. Most companies have a fees for monthly payments and they can be different for different companies. Comparing annual premiums and paying them annually is the way to go.

rated:
RhizzleBop said:   
jerosen said:   
fwuser12 said:   
RhizzleBop said:   

Go to ssa.gov

Well, somehow I just missed this, and wasn't thinking about it.
Good to know.  It would certainly help my wife, or myself maintain our childrens lives with an extra 2-3K a month. (though if its like retirement social security, you get about a .5% increase every other year so inflation eats you up.

Good to know.  Adds to the confusion of the calculation.

Yes the survivor benefit gets a COLA similar to SS retirement.    

The SS COLA is based off the inflation figures.  Its calculated a bit differently than the typical CPI but its not far off.   In the past 20 years the rate is up ~2.1% average.   

rated:
fwuser12 said:   
RhizzleBop said:     Well, I havn't attempted hard math on this yet, but a 500K policy will run in the ballpark of $46 a month, and 750K runs $63.  (Broker estimated me, and said proportionally my wife would be cheaper cause women live longer)
  As indicated earlier, check out term4sale.com for better quotes. I am sure you can do better than what your Northwestern Mutual agent gave you.
It is better to compare annual premiums. Most companies have a fees for monthly payments and they can be different for different companies. Comparing annual premiums and paying them annually is the way to go.

Yeah term4sale seems to run closer to $40-50/month for 750k for someone in their mid 30's.

Of course the exact cost will depend on the individual health status but you seem in generally good health.

rated:
RhizzleBop said:   
The idea of around 750K, is that in the event something happens to one of us, obviously family investment savings would drop dramatically and this would go into investments, left to grow the remaining years until early retirement.

That $750k policy replaces 8 years of your income, or 11 years of your wife's.  Can your family continue the same trajectory if you/your wife "retires" outside of that timeframe?  You say 18 years is the current retirement plan, so if you redeem that policy sooner than later (during the first 10 years verses the last 10 years), it sounds like you'll come up short.  

One idea to look at would be supplementing those 20-year policies with similar (and cheaper) 10-year policies.  That helps better protect your family during the young, more expensive child-raising years, but not make you pay for the extra coverage once you've had another 10 years of saving and plan to work less than 10 more years anyways.   It may also prove cheaper to just increase the 20-year policy limit, even though you wont need that much in the later years.

rated:
I'll def be checking out that site. Just trying to figure out what product and amount I should even be shopping for. If it could be had down around 40-50 a month for 750k. Then ts possible me and my wife could be somewhere under 80 bucks a month for BOTH of us to have 500k each in the event something happens and that when handled correctly ensures we are able to meet our early retirement goals if something did happen.

I'm fine with paying it annually. No matter to me. The guy just gave me numbers monthly. Itrelavent to me.

Basically around a grand a year for 20 years and by that time or even at 18 years. If we reach our goal and retire I stop paying for the policy. Poof. We're done w it. So 18k to nearly eliminate the risk. Like I said. This topic has come up to to recent relative issue of her and it got me thinking hard about what if.

Thanks for the advice. I'll heck that site out for sure.

rated:
RhizzleBop said:   I'm fine with paying it annually. No matter to me. The guy just gave me numbers monthly. Itrelavent to me.

They quote monthly premium for a reason. For the vast majority of folks, $50/month sounds lot more affordable than say $550/year, even though there is ~10% fee in the monthly premium.
Not different than some of the TV ads that tout "... you can get coverage for under a dollar a day...", with no medical exam etc.

rated:
RhizzleBop said:   

Well, I havn't attempted hard math on this yet, but a 500K policy will run in the ballpark of $46 a month, and 750K runs $63.  (Broker estimated me, and said proportionally my wife would be cheaper cause women live longer)

Except you need far more than that because of inflation

rated:
RhizzleBop said:   Well, I havn't attempted hard math on this yet, but a 500K policy will run in the ballpark of $46 a month, and 750K runs $63.  (Broker estimated me, and said proportionally my wife would be cheaper cause women live longer)
I looked at that and said, well 46 and just 18 more (less than half) adds half to the policy.  Clearly more number crunching is required.

Figure out what your needs are based on liabilities and/or loss of income (consider the impacts of both inflation and reduced expenses), then get quotes for that. It doesn't make sense to look at this based on the cost effectiveness of the policy before you even know how much coverage you need.

rated:
doveroftke said:   
RhizzleBop said:   Well, I havn't attempted hard math on this yet, but a 500K policy will run in the ballpark of $46 a month, and 750K runs $63.  (Broker estimated me, and said proportionally my wife would be cheaper cause women live longer)

Figure out what your needs are based on liabilities and/or loss of income (consider the impacts of both inflation and reduced expenses), then get quotes for that. It doesn't make sense to look at this based on the cost effectiveness of the policy before you even know how much coverage you need.

That is exactly what I'm doing, if you read up a few posts.

rated:
ellory said:   
RhizzleBop said:   

Yes, above I ran a couple scenarios where I assumed our yearly contributions stopped, and alump sum of 500K went into the account and grew for the remainder of 18 years, and it seemed to work out about right.

rated:
  If you're gonna knock off the spouse, think big. $1M, $2M or even $5M, but you'll have to pay the premiums a good long time to make it look legit before the "accident" happens.

rated:
Glitch99 said:   That $750k policy replaces 8 years of your income, or 11 years of your wife's.
It actually replaces WAY more than that. Remember that life insurance payouts are tax free, while their salaries are taxable. Further, a lump sum payment gets invested and earns interest and dividends, so it is worth significantly more than the aggregate amount of your salary over X number of years. He also needs to take into account the fact that when a person dies, the expenses associated with that person go away, so a life insurance payout ends up going a lot further.

rated:
OP, term4sale.com, which is based on Compulife's excellent software, is a great website to run the numbers. As people have appropriately cautioned you, however, you really just don't know how much your premiums are going to be, as you don't know what health rating you and your wife will qualify for. Remember that the vast majority of the ultra-preferred policy holders would not have qualified for ultra-preferred with every life insurance company out there. So, although term4sale.com will give you a general idea of the pricing, you should never blindly apply for a policy with any company. Instead, you need to work with a good independent broker who has access to all these companies (it won't cost you a penny extra) who can go over your health and other records and recommend the best company to apply with. Most people out there just do not realize the impact that certain factors can have on life insurance underwriting and are surprised, for instance, when more than 2 moving violations in the last 3 years adversely affect their life insurance quotes, as it never even occurred to them that their driving records influence their life insurance offers.

All life insurance companies out there ask about the family history (they usually ask about natural parents and siblings) of cancer, heart disease and any cardiac-related condition. Breast cancer does unfortunately have a genetic predisposition (as well as colon, prostate, ovarian, etc...), so they will all look at it closely, but depending on the particulars, different companies are very likely to come up with different decisions. This is all the more reason to work with a good independent broker and to avoid blindly applying with life insurance carriers.

P.S.
In your OP you mentioned Northwestern Mutual. It is generally not a good carrier when it comes to term life insurance, as it has very conservative underwriting and its term life premiums tend to be higher than those of other carriers that compete in this space. Northwestern Mutual's bread and butter is permanent life insurance, not term.

Also, the auto insurance carriers, which also offer life insurance, tend to have very conservative underwriting (they just don't have the volume of life insurance cases that the companies that specialize in life insurance receive, so they tend to play it very safe) but also tend to be fairly expensive. The two exceptions that I can think of are USAA and Cincinatti, which both do have very conservative underwriting, but also have competitive premiums in the ultra-preferred space. Cincinnati's premiums are part of the Compulife engine, so they'll be displayed by term4sale.com

rated:
amd555 said:   www.selectquote.com 

I got pay $395/yr for a $500k term like 30 thru TransAmerica.

Selectquote just takes your info and sends it off to a rep who then tries to sell life insurance to you. In other words, it's not any different from blindly calling up a large insurance agency and asking for a quote.

term4sale.com on the other hand, allows you to run different quotes without providing your contact information. You can then contact the agent of your choice, who does not have to be affiliated with term4sale.com.

rated:
So, plugged in some values and as accurate a history and personal data as possible on term4sale.

For 500K got $317 a year for my wife, and $366 for myself for 20 yr term.

Going to 600K bumped to $360 for my wife, and $421 for me.

So, we're looking at between  $700-$800 a year to get what it appears we need to ensure our family's well being.

Jumping to 30 yr term jumps the cost up to $650 and $700 EACH.

According to my Target plan, I'd prob only need it 18 years.

rated:
RhizzleBop said:   So, plugged in some values and as accurate a history and personal data as possible on term4sale.Have you ever seen a life insurance application? It is far more detailed and comprehensive than the basic questions that you answer on a website to get a life insurance quote. There will also be a health exam and underwriting will pull MIB, MVR and, in certain situations, may also request all your health records.

Hence, although it's good to get a general idea of the pricing and your desired coverage level up front (and each insurance application will ask you how much you're applying for, which is something that you can adjust later as well), you cannot and should not make any final decisions until you apply and get an offer. If you or your wife end up receiving only standard offers, for instance, you're likely to scrutinize your coverage decisions a lot more than if you and your wife both receive ultra-preferred offers.

rated:
geo123 said:   
Glitch99 said:   That $750k policy replaces 8 years of your income, or 11 years of your wife's.
It actually replaces WAY more than that. Remember that the life insurance payout is tax free, while their salaries are taxable. Further, a lump sum payment gets invested and earns interest and dividends, so it is worth significantly more than the aggregate amount of your salary over X number of years. He also needs to take into account the fact when a person dies, the expenses associated with that person go away, so a life insurance payout ends up going a lot further.

It also doesn't account for raises or increased childcare costs of a single parent, and the investment return will be of the low-risk variety.  I was ballparking it.

Based on his rough numbers, he needs more than one salary just for day-to-day living, and that's before adding a second baby to the mix.  If forced to use a policy in the next 5 years,  $500k is not going to adequately subsidize his end game.

rated:
RhizzleBop said:   So, plugged in some values and as accurate a history and personal data as possible on term4sale.

For 500K got $317 a year for my wife, and $366 for myself for 20 yr term.

Going to 600K bumped to $360 for my wife, and $421 for me.

So, we're looking at between  $700-$800 a year to get what it appears we need to ensure our family's well being.

Jumping to 30 yr term jumps the cost up to $650 and $700 EACH.

According to my Target plan, I'd prob only need it 18 years.

With a 30% difference in incomes, why would you pursue equal insurance policies?  Are you intending to overinsure her or underinsure yourself?

rated:
37 years old is a sweet spot for a 20 year policy...when I was that old I dumped my insurance through work and got a 1M policy for $45 and got 300K on my then wife for $21 I think.  I'm 48 now and once my kids are out of college and in a career I'm going to cancel the policy.

rated:
RhizzleBop said:   
ellory said:   
RhizzleBop said:   

Yes, above I ran a couple scenarios where I assumed our yearly contributions stopped, and alump sum of 500K went into the account and grew for the remainder of 18 years, and it seemed to work out about right.

Do it with an assumption of 4% inflation.  Then see what that does to your balance (At 4% inflation, after 18 years, the dollar only buys half of what it does today)

rated:
whichever the decision might be, that $64/month sounds pretty competitive for 20 year fixed.

rated:
OOrochiimaru said:   whichever the decision might be, that $64/month sounds pretty competitive for 20 year fixed.
For a 37 year old non-smoker looking for a $750K 20 year term, $64/mo or $768/year is a quote at standard or standard-plus. If he qualifies for ultra-preferred, the exact same policy would be in the neighborhood of $390-$490/year.

Regardless, he won't know what he qualifies for until he gets an offer and he won't know how to obtain the best offer until he discusses his exact situation with a good independent broker.

rated:
Several companies will not count a family history of cancer against you. A good independent agent will know which ones. Regardless of family history, if your wife has one of the genetic markers for breast cancer risk (BRCA, etc), it could affect her rates. Companies do not test for this, but it may be in the medical records they get from her doctor.

Northwestern Mutual is only competitive if you're a smoker. Otherwise there are many better companies.

While term is the recommended play, considering your family histories, be mindful of conversion options while shopping. If your health does change in the future, you might want to continue coverage longer than you think. You don't want to be in your 50's, fighting diabetes and cancer, still wanting or needing insurance, and stuck with a policy at prohibitive cost.

That pretax life insurance you have through work (if it's actually pretax) will result in a taxable death benefit. Consider that in your needs calculation.

Skipping 53 Messages...
rated:
Here is good info to read before you start shopping.
http://bestquoteinc.com/term-life-insurance-families/

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017