• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Just a heads up for BBVA Compass NBA card holders.  You people know who you are:

Our first 5% across-the-board rewards interval this year commences on February seventeenth.

This will be the first instance of the new $5000 maximum/interval rule.  And of course the NBA All Star Game interval is short, only three days long.

So be ready.  

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
We maxed out over NBA weekend and so far have zero points. Do they post with the statement? Our statements haven't poste... (more)

BUffetologist (Mar. 10, 2017 @ 11:47a) |

Hmmmm.  I do NOT want to be "Debbie Downer", but that sounds to me a bit worrying.  No, the points post when they post. ... (more)

shinobi1 (Mar. 10, 2017 @ 4:16p) |

No worries. Triple double account was from credit card that was compromised. Registered a new account to the replacement... (more)

BUffetologist (Mar. 11, 2017 @ 7:56a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
are there any other concurrent promotions for certain categories of additional money

rated:
how long does 5% last this time?

rated:
My best understanding is it's a short, three day interval, lasting only Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.  But I have not checked this year.  That is based on my recollection of how things worked last year.  For anyone requiring 100% certainty it is best to call them.  Perhaps there has been a change.

My plan, barring new information coming forward here, is to do everything on Saturday.  This requires some advance planning obviously, which is why I posted this thread in the first place.  We have to spend five grand during a really short interval of time, or else lose out, so it is best not to be surprised with this requirement.    

rated:
Thank you for the reminder. Would you pls share w us where you got the news about the $5k cap? A couple of weeks ago, I phoned the credit card company to confirm the promo, and the CSR said "um, sure, ok, it's 5x points twice each year" When I asked when the weekend was, she said, "I don't know, let me check" put me on hold, and still didn't know the answer afterwards! Doesn't instill a lot of confidence though I believe the deal went fine last year...

I don't see any online news about it since our old FW discussion last yr and a few other boards from a year ago or so. I haven't looked through 1040.com this year. Is that the best option? Thanks again

rated:
drzeyas said:   Thank you for the reminder. Would you pls share w us where you got the news about the $5k cap? A couple of weeks ago, I phoned the credit card company to confirm the promo, and the CSR said "um, sure, ok, it's 5x points twice each year" When I asked when the weekend was, she said, "I don't know, let me check" put me on hold, and still didn't know the answer afterwards! Doesn't instill a lot of confidence though I believe the deal went fine last year...

I don't see any online news about it since our old FW discussion last yr and a few other boards from a year ago or so. I haven't looked through 1040.com this year. Is that the best option? Thanks again

No problemo.

Nobody can tell you which service to choose.  However, here is a website which might help you to decide:

Linky 

On the $5K cap, it is still the rule AFAIK.  If this is in error, somebody please post.

rated:
One trying to spend $5,000 in a hurry might pay or prepay taxes, and then file via Tax cut and Delux, and get the 10% bonus on the refund in Amazon cards.

rated:
Yes, spending to pay tax is a very popular way to achieve the needed spending quickly and easily.  However, there is a wrinkle and I am posting for whatever help this might be to some, in terms of estimated tax payments:

We have passed the January 15th estimated tax payment date.  If you try to prepay your estimated tax due April 15th you might receive a message saying such payments are not being accepted until March first.  A way around this is to pay money against your 2016 tax (not estimated tax).  But you say, "no", I've already paid that tax in full.  Any further payment would be an overpayment.  I want to pay my 2017 taxes, instead.

Understood

But, not to worry, the IRS will be cool with your overpayment.  They will allow you, when you file your 2016 final return, to apply the overpayment to 2017 estimated tax (which is what you wanted in the first place) or, if you prefer, they will refund the money to you.  The only possible problem, so be careful on this:

It can take a couple of weeks for the IRS to know they have the money you are paying on account of NBA All Star weekend with your BBVA card.  If, and only if, you file your 2016 return too quickly and refer to the overpayment, before they actually know they have the overpayment, things could become messy.

So if you are overpaying this weekend because of the NBA special, don't send in your 2016 return, or do an online return, which refers to this weekend's payment, until you are sure the IRS actually knows they have the payment.

rated:
Thanks Shinobi, I would have missed this! Glad I never got around to cancelling my card since it is no longer available for new applications.

5% 3 day bonus ends Sunday at 11:59pm, not sure which time zone. NBA finals is June 1st through 18, so marking that on my calendar for the next 5%, $5k cap rewards event. Any amount over the $5k per event cap is subject to the normal rewards instead of the 5x/5% promo.

Edit to note: Any transaction over $5,000 requires the merchant to call BBVA to authorize the transaction (per the rep I spoke with). Keep your transaction under $5,000 and you should be fine.

rated:
Corndogg said:   Thanks Shinobi, I would have missed this! Glad I never got around to cancelling my card since it is no longer available for new applications.

5% 3 day bonus ends Sunday at 11:59pm, not sure which time zone. NBA finals is June 1st through 18, so marking that on my calendar for the next 5%, $5k cap rewards event. Any amount over the $5k per event cap is subject to the normal rewards instead of the 5x/5% promo.

Edit to note: Any transaction over $5,000 requires the merchant to call BBVA to authorize the transaction (per the rep I spoke with). Keep your transaction under $5,000 and you should be fine.

Sure, Corndogg.  And thank you for mentioning the BBVA Compass NBA card is closed to new applicants.  That little factoid got past me, and it is the kind of thing I want to know.

Closure of a card to new applicants can sometimes presage discontinuation of a card altogether.  I hope that does not happen.  This card is not a big money maker, but it is worth a few hundred each year (or whatever), the money is tax-free, and every little bit helps.

Unlike you I have been "maintaining" my NBA card with a small amount of spending (circa thirty bucks, plus or minus) every month.  I hope when/if the guillotine is deployed that my ongoing maintenance will spare me the "cut".  Maintenance costs me 1%, since those charges would otherwise go to my Priceline card which has a 2% reward.  The 1% penalty hit I'm absorbing could be worse.  I can live with it.

rated:
I paid tax (Federal income tax) with my card one week ago today, during All-Star Weekend.

Checked my points this morning.  Was awarded only 1 point per dollar spent, not 5 points.

Anybody else?

rated:
shinobi1 said:   I paid tax (Federal income tax) with my card one week ago today, during All-Star Weekend.

Checked my points this morning.  Was awarded only 1 point per dollar spent, not 5 points.

Anybody else?

This is "normal" 1x points post first, then day(s) later the other 4x posts.

rated:
ldfernald99 said:   
shinobi1 said:   I paid tax (Federal income tax) with my card one week ago today, during All-Star Weekend.

Anybody else?

This is "normal" 1x points post first, then day(s) later the other 4x posts.

Thank you!!

rated:
ldfernald99 said:   

I hope you are correct. That's not been my experience. I was only awarded 1X points for Friday's spend. 5X points for Sunday's. I didn't have any spend on Saturday. Let's wait and see if we get the additional points...

rated:
gyagya said:   
ldfernald99 said:   

I hope you are correct. That's not been my experience. I was only awarded 1X points for Friday's spend. 5X points for Sunday's. I didn't have any spend on Saturday. Let's wait and see if we get the additional points...

Nothing yet here.  Am hoping for the best.

rated:
my 5x for saturday showed up, but not for Friday.

rated:
Woo Hoo!  

Points are now showing at 5X!!  Paid my tax late Friday afternoon, all $5K in one fell swoop.

Am very pleased.  Ya gotta love this card!

On to the NBA Finals!

rated:
shinobi1 said:   Woo Hoo!  

Points are now showing at 5X!!  Paid my tax late Friday afternoon, all $5K in one fell swoop.

On to the NBA Finals!

same here!! great news!

rated:
gyagya said:   
shinobi1 said:   Woo Hoo!  

On to the NBA Finals!

same here!! great news!

Very sweet because you never know for certain until the money shows up.  Largest worry with this card is cancellation . . . otherwise is like finding money in the street.

Plan here is to continue my use of the card outside All-Star/Finals.  I have been doing around $30/month every month with no regrets, especially now.  And BTW, I just cashed in and received 1X on all those $30 months, as well.  It's well worth the trouble and very small expense if such regular spending helps to avoid cancellation and keep this card afloat.

rated:
We maxed out over NBA weekend and so far have zero points. Do they post with the statement? Our statements haven't posted yet.

rated:
BUffetologist said:   We maxed out over NBA weekend and so far have zero points. Do they post with the statement? Our statements haven't posted yet.

Hmmmm.  I do NOT want to be "Debbie Downer", but that sounds to me a bit worrying.  No, the points post when they post.  It is not related to your statement.

There is a rule about spending in "qualified" categories to receive 5X.  But why you would have ZERO points this late is completely beyond me.  I would have expected you at least to have been awarded points at 1X by now.  This without question.

It might be time to give the tripledouble rewards call center a jingle.  Just sayin'.

Here is a toll-free number I have.  Not sure it remains good.  Have not telephoned them for over a year:

1-866-246-2924

Good luck!  

rated:
No worries. Triple double account was from credit card that was compromised. Registered a new account to the replacement card and points were there. 5x all around. Redeemed for account credit.

Good luck in June.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017