Spousal surcharge

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
My wife has insurance threw her work and used to cover me but my company now offers insurance so she cant cover me no longer threw hers but my company says i am going to be charged a spousal surcharge for 100 dollars cause she already has insurance even tho i am not adding her to my plan is this true my HR tells me i have to

Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Too much throwing around?

Confirm with your HR that you still need to pay the spousal surcharge even though you are NOT including her in your insurance. I thought the purpose of the surcharge is to force spouses to go with their own insurance instead of joining yours.

yeah, spouse surcharge is a dck move when it excludes spouses that don't work

Refer to the plan documentation provided by your company, it should provide details about this surcharge.

OP, most companies I've read about charge a spousal surcharge ONLY if the spouse is working and has access to insurance coverage through their own job. Obviously there are one-offs like rufflesinc pointed out. I would talk to some co-workers about it and go from there. HR might be giving you a knee-jerk reaction, or there might be a language barrier based on your post (not downing you, just making an observation).

For example, my wife works part time, and her company does NOT offer any health insurance to PT'ers. Previously my wife worked FT at another place but it was a small business and they did NOT offer health insurance to any of their employees. I have never paid a surcharge and I cover my wife through my job's insurance.

This is the only way I have ever seen that surcharge work:
You are covering your spouse on your companies insurance
AND
Your spouse is eligible for insurance via her employer

Obviously an exemption if you both work for the same company.  

If you are not putting her on your plan the surcharge would not make any sense. The charge is a penalty for insuring her when she has another option from her employer.  They want all adults to covered separately by their respective employers.

Ma171aC said:   

No reason to be rude, some people are grammatically challenged and this site is for folks to come find assistance on financial matters.  This sounds like a financial matter of sorts and it appears he's getting the question answered.  

The challenge with grammar may be the reason that OP is likely completely misinterpreting the issue.

jjwable30 said:   Spousal surchage
Is that the same as vaginamony?

Czechmeout said:   
Ma171aC said:   
kriskos4 said:   

No reason to be rude, some people are grammatically challenged and this site is for folks to come find assistance on financial matters.  This sounds like a financial matter of sorts and it appears he's getting the question answered.  

The challenge with grammar may be the reason that OP is likely completely misinterpreting the issue.

Unless the OP is misunderstanding something specific about the language of the topic, please keep all comments on the issue itself and not the OP's grammar. 

anthonyu said:   Confirm with your HR that you still need to pay the spousal surcharge even though you are NOT including her in your insurance.

I thought the purpose of the surcharge is to force spouses to go with their own insurance instead of joining yours.

jjwable30,

That is what you should do:  Go see someone in your HR department, in person, and tell them that your wife is going to get her health insurance at her company, and will NOT be put onto your insurance plan from your company (and only you will be on the plan from your company).

Normally, this kind of surcharge would be for a situation where your wife's company was offering her health insurance, but she turned that down and chose to go onto your insurance plan instead. 

If she is on her company's insurance by herself, and you are on your company's insurance by yourself, it does not sound as if either one of you would, typically, be charged a surcharge -- because you'd already be doing what the surcharge was put into place to "nudge" employees to do. 

...Your HR department may have a misunderstanding about how you and your wife have organized your health insurance plan memberships. 

Hopefully you can get that sorted out, because $100 a month (that you didn't originally expect to have to pay for) will add up pretty fast!

---
If the HR department tells you that they are still going to charge you the spouse surcharge when your wife is going to be on her company's plan and will not be on your company's plan, come back here and let us know!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017